Shorter Putter Length

DataDude

Snakebite X Fan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone use a shorter putter? Thinking about buying one to roll for a while. I have always used a 34" and I was thinking about trying a 33". Anyone got stories to tell?

What kinda putter is tour style? I have a couple of 33" putters you could try.

So I took an old 35 inch oddessy to the shop about 3 years ago to get a super stroke grip. Instead I walked out with a used 2 ball with a SS. In the following 8 months my putting started to improve. Finally I measured and found it to be 33.5

I bought a new model in 33 and saw improvements in consistency

here is cheap test. Go to a shop and test. Any 33 I pick up fits my stroke and eye

I have a thread back in the archive somewhere, but I did an Edel putter fitting and got fit into a 31" putter. I still have it but haven't put it in play for a while. I have an odyssey at 32" that I choke down on a little to get to my preferred length.

It is very dependent for each person, I have short legs, a long torso and long forearms so going to a shorter putter keeps my arms and the putter more under my shoulders and keeps me from making a really big arc on the swing. I doubt I will ever go back to anything much longer than 31 or 32".

I putt with a 32.5".

I swear the best putting I have ever had has been with short putters. Previously a 33", and now a 32.5". I find I am much more consistent on the line, and speed control is better as well. But that is just me.

32 inch blade and 33 inch mallet here.

I tried this out about 2/3 years ago and played at 33”. My lower back started to hurt so back to 34/35” depending on the putter

I play mine at 33 - 33.5. Lengthened one to 34 recently for the heck of it and it didn't work out so great.

Changed to 33” couple of years ago has made a difference to my putting, around 5’ 9” but everyone’s different

I've tried different lengths in my putters over the years and never could get used to the 33" length, also found that after awhile it effected my back. So went back to 35" and the back stopped bothering me.

I have been playing a 33" V Line Fang putter the last few years. I bought a Scotty Cameron at 34" but just gave that to my father in law after it sat in the garage all last summer. I plan on getting a Odyssey #10 Black and it will be a 33".

I find I put much better with a shorter putter, mine is 33” currently.

I played with 33, 34, and 35 and I simply have to have 35. Anything shorter seems to make me notice my stance, swing, etc., and feels short to me.

I use 34" now, but I feel like I am too far away to control my stroke for some reason. I appreciate all your feedback, I will probably give it a go.

I've always used 35" putters but rolled a 34" at PGATSS on Friday that felt pretty good!

Luchnia makes a good point that our stances dictate what we need. I was watching DJ putt yesterday and one would think he would have a 35 because he is tall but he is pretty bend over, his putter head is almost directly under his eyes and he is not choking down on anything. I'd have to bet his putter is 33 give or take and 3 degrees upright. If you told me he had a 32 inch putter I could believe it.

I have a bad lower back so one would think a 35 what a guy 6'1 would use. However, that has me so upright that somehow I come over the top on the putt and often pull them. basically a shorter putter helps me get in a better position and enables a mostly left shoulder initiated swing. I have and am considering a 32 with altered lie but I'm not sure that will help me because it will take me to a less athletic posture but with ball more directly under my eyes.

I agree with your stance dictating what length you play. I play a 33.5" putter, my arms hang naturally when I take my stance and this is the length that provides the most consistency.

When I got my Yes! I asked for a 33", but they got me a 35". I played it like it was for about a year then took the 2" off it and it's still in the bag.

I agree with your stance dictating what length you play. I play a 33.5" putter, my arms hang naturally when I take my stance and this is the length that provides the most consistency.
To me it is all about this. When I putt I must feel comfortable or I have added a variable that doesn't help my putting plus gives me something else to think about. When I am comfortable then I just flow better.

I originally bought a 32" putter a year and a half ago (Odyssey Pro Type #2), but through it was still a bit long, due to the ball position at address. However, after some lessons I have adjusted my ball position so that my left eye is just inside the ball at address (around 2" inside). With this stance, I'm able to make a much more consistent and straight stroke, and found that my ideal length/lie/loft are 32"/70-71°/3-4°. I usually prefer 71° lie angle and 4° loft, though. The Odyssey Pro Type I use is 70° lie 3° loft, but Scotty Cameron Studio Style is 71° lie and 4° loft.

-Bishop

Are any of you taller that are using the shorter putter? I liked it while playing, but I'm about 6'2" and if I practiced for very long with a shorter putter my lower back just ached. I had to go back to a longer one, or just not practice.

I have used 33" for about a decade. I don't know how long my putter was before that. But I recently switched to a 34" putter. I feel less hunched over and more natural now.

I use an old Odyssey 35" and tried several putters yesterday at C.C. One was 34" and I could immediately feel it wasn't right for me; too short.

Got my putter as a hand me down and it seems to fit me well. I just measured it and found out its 33.5. i dont see any reason to drastically change it.

Are any of you taller that are using the shorter putter? I liked it while playing, but I'm about 6'2" and if I practiced for very long with a shorter putter my lower back just ached. I had to go back to a longer one, or just not practice.

indeed, I am 6'1 with back problems and certain hand positions with a 33 inch putter make me been over way too much for my back. One day my back was hurting and I found a grip that worked better for me and almost no bending.

Let me see if I can describe. Left hand on the putter in a traditional grip. I extend my trigger finger down the left side of the grip for stability but otherwise normal grip. The right hand then placed on the other side of the grip with slight overlap of left hand but the key is the right hand is no lower on the grip then the left hand. so my hands are parallel to each other like I was clapping; besides I stuff a SS grip in between.

When I putt I let the left shoulder and left arm move in unison and the right elbow just stays by my side and I try and keep right hand out of my swing until well past impact. this approach has elevated my putting and allows me to practice a great deal. If I had to put my right hand below my left hand like maybe the way I'd grip an iron, my back would not allow me to practice much and I'd have to go back to a 35 or something.

Back