White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I saw a thread pop up earlier this morning which reminded me I wanted to ask the masses for advice on a particular shot I have had to deal with more than once.

7FA71B91-B239-4849-ACDF-30E36D2C3747-2880-0000017D0FBB80C2_zps4f6f169b.jpg

The pin is over the crown of the bunker, about 20 feet past. I am too far under the tree to go up and I fear if I go low I run it off the green.

So advise away my friend.....

54* back of stance and hit it with a descending blow. Enough height to clear bunker and hopefully enough spin to stop on green.

Low is about your only option there. Forget the pin and try to find a way to get a putter in your hand.

Damnit cookie.

Already some great options and I too would, more than likely, take my 56* back in stance and punch. Hopefully getting enough spin and correct distance to clear the bunker and hold the green.

What I'd like to think I could do: Keep it low, to the right of the crown. It might leave a long putt if I stay on the green, but if I miss, leaves green to work with.

What I would probably actually do: Skull it past the green

Low is about your only option there. Forget the pin and try to find a way to get a putter in your hand.

Definitely forget pin and play to right side (fat part) of green. Would rather go over green than leave it in bunker - MUST clear bunker.

Bailout right and try to get it on the edge of the green....if you miss it you'll still have plenty of green to work with.

See that big part of green over the right side of the bunker? That's the biggest percentage shot. You could try and get cute with it, but you could also leave yourself in front of the bunker, in it, or through the green. Now you're scrambling even more.

It's hard to tell how close those limbs are.

I would let go of the location of the flag with this shot. Your goal is to get on the green from here....not close to the hole.

There are a few things I think about with this shot...

1. Don't compound your mistake with another
2. Low is your only option
3. You want to hit a shot with a high rate of spin if possible to get it to stop on the green
4. As the other poster said put it back in your stance with a 50-56 degree wedge
5. This will promote a downward/steep action into the ball...promote a low shot with lots of spin

1. don't hit the ball there :)
2. take your medicine - figure out the most acceptable shot your are most capable of making and do that one. In other words, bogey is fine but big numbers are not.

I'm definitely going to the right/fat part of the green....I'm not thinking about the pin at all.

54* back of stance and hit it with a descending blow. Enough height to clear bunker and hopefully enough spin to stop on green.

This would have been my advice too

This. There is no pin on that shot, just get it on the surface.

looks to me like the ball wouldnt be affected by the tree. If the ball is where you are taking the picture, then I say punch it out right, or take enough club to get it to at least hit the green. Even if your off the back. It sometimes is better than a bunker shot.

Its funny to see some of these magic shots being pulled off though.

Also, a strong foot wedge might be an option for some players, but I recommend checking to make sure Mickelson isn't lurking behind a tree first.

I say low liner right at the flag into the lip of the bunker, let it pop up into the air and then trickle onto the green.

Just kidding, like others have said, forget about the pin and just try to get yourself in a position to putt or chip.

I would agree with most of the other posters. Forget the pin and work to get the putter in hand. I would likely play a 56° to the right side of the green and try to get it to check hard. Like was mentioned, the main goal here is to limit damage, play smart and try to get that par as safely as possible!

This. There is no pin on that shot, just get it on the surface.

Take out your 4 iron and punch that baby out with some touch, in this instance you want to use the bunker like a ramp. I have this shot a lot on my local course. There is a real short par 4 that if you go left (which I always do) you are left with the same shot you are looking at in the picture. And if it doesn't clear the bunker you will at least have an uphill shot out of the bunker. Ideally this ball wouldn't come more than 8-10 inches off the ground.

Nicely done Nate!

Demanding on the quality of the bunkers at the course I wouldn't be too afraid of them. I would try to hit over it over the low part of the trap and have it stop on the green but would rather have my miss be the bunker then a chip from behind the green with a unknown lie.

Thanks for all the responses, extra credit for Nate for use of color!! What I did was go right and avoid the bunker as much as I could. and like sharkhat said I skulled it and rolled through the green ( :angry: ) I think if things were set up that way again I would take the same approach but I have been in that position a few times and I really wanted to see what methods people came up with to challenge the bunker, if I felt real adventurous one time.

Back