I'm a grab the club, set up alongside the ball, take one practice swing (except two on the 1st tee) and let 'er rip. In fact, carrying club(s) to the tee or a couple of wedges and putter to the green, I hold those clubs far closer to the head than the grip.

I'm a grab the club, set up alongside the ball, take one practice swing (except two on the 1st tee) and let 'er rip. In fact, carrying club(s) to the tee or a couple of wedges and putter to the green, I hold those clubs far closer to the head than the grip.
Maybe I am just unlucky cause it takes about 45 seconds for watch to say it has read a tag once I put it in my hand. I timed it today while playing. Is it better than it was when I first got it? yes, but still I feel I spend lots of time dorking around with this silly watch and not focusing on my game. Im watch focused instead of golf focused at the moment and it is screwing with my flow state and tempo of a round.

Maybe I am just unlucky cause it takes about 45 seconds for watch to say it has read a tag once I put it in my hand. I timed it today while playing. Is it better than it was when I first got it? yes, but still I feel I spend lots of time dorking around with this silly watch and not focusing on my game. Im watch focused instead of golf focused at the moment and it is screwing with my flow state and tempo of a round.

Wow that’s odd. Probably 1/2 the time I grab a club and before I even take a practice swing my watch already picks it up. If not one practice swing and it never misses the tag

did you check your RFID setting ? I know you can set it differently to search more quickly which reduces battery life. Maybe your on the opposite setting.

this is odd.just checked my watch settings and i Don’t see the RFID setting any longer. Maybe the latest firmware removed it ?

Say you are on the Par 5 and on your 2nd shot, you hit a club to advance the ball down the fairway (as I never can get home in 2) do you mark this shot as "Positional" ?

Say you are on the Par 5 and on your 2nd shot, you hit a club to advance the ball down the fairway (as I never can get home in 2) do you mark this shot as "Positional" ?

I wouldn't think that would be considered a positional shot unless you didn't take a full swing. I thought positional was reserved for punch-outs or other such partial swings so that your average distances for the club used aren't affected. As always, I reserve the right to be incorrect.

Last edited:
Shot scope looks at positional where you take a shot that cannot reach the green

Unless you were going for the green on your second shot on a par 5 it is considered and should be marked as a "positional" shot. Ohterwise it is counted in your approach stats. From their website:

A positional shot is an approach shot where you are not attempting to hit the green, instead you are intentionally playing into another part of the course. The two typical scenarios where this would occur would be:

1) On a par 5 when you can't reach the green

2) If your drive goes into trouble and you need to play out sideways on the second shot

By marking a shot as "Positional" it will be excluded from the "Approach' and "Club" stats in your performance data which means your stats stay accurate.

Unless you were going for the green on your second shot on a par 5 it is considered and should be marked as a "positional" shot. Ohterwise it is counted in your approach stats. From their website:

A positional shot is an approach shot where you are not attempting to hit the green, instead you are intentionally playing into another part of the course. The two typical scenarios where this would occur would be:

2) If your drive goes into trouble and you need to play out sideways on the second shot

By marking a shot as "Positional" it will be excluded from the "Approach' and "Club" stats in your performance data which means your stats stay accurate.

I'm not arguing in any way, I just don't understand the logic behind it. If your second shot on a par 5 is a full 3H from the middle of the fairway, for example, wouldn't you want that distance to be included in your 3H distance average?

I'm not arguing in any way, I just don't understand the logic behind it. If your second shot on a par 5 is a full 3H from the middle of the fairway, for example, wouldn't you want that distance to be included in your 3H distance average?
They'd need another category like "layup" or something. Exclude that from approach stats but include it in club data. With just positional, there's no way for the system to know if you're popping the ball back in play or if you're laying up on a par 5.

I don't think I would. I've layed up on par 5s with anything from a 3W to a 6I and the distances far exceed the distance that I hit clubs on approach to the green. For example, my average 6I is 151 yards and that is what I consistently count on.. The other day I hit my 6I laying up on a par 5 and my total distance recorded was almost 180 yards! I think enough of those type of shots would skew my data to the point of not being reliable.

The main times I mark a ball as provisional is if I use say a 6 or something else for a bump and run or if I need to hit one laterally to get out of the wilds.

I am extremely disappointed in the tracking of this system. It hasn't been within 20 shots of what I actually shot.

I am extremely disappointed in the tracking of this system. It hasn't been within 20 shots of what I actually shot.

It is so strange to me how different everybody's experiences are and I often wonder if there is something else going on as far as activating or using.

For instance I have been using it for months now and have had no real issues at all. I know others have been in the same spot. Then others have come and posted and they are missing shots all over the course. Something has to be going on, right?

It is so strange to me how different everybody's experiences are and I often wonder if there is something else going on as far as activating or using.

For instance I have been using it for months now and have had no real issues at all. I know others have been in the same spot. Then others have come and posted and they are missing shots all over the course. Something has to be going on, right?

Something definitely has to be going on. My issue isn't missing any, it is too many.

I finally had a problem with it yesterday, the first time in over 30 rounds where it missed many, many shots. It may have been the weather as T-Storms were in the area and we were actually surprised we got the round in. That may have affected the GPS. Also, in a rush to finish before the rain came I may have neglected practice swings or any other way of "waking up" the watch. It missed nearly half my shots, too many to even bother trying to edit them in. I checked all of my tags this morning (my round was washed out) and they are all detected ta a reasonable distance from the band so I look at it as hopefully just an aberration due to a perfect storm so to speak.

Something definitely has to be going on. My issue isn't missing any, it is too many.

That is quite strange. It shouldnt be a QC issue, as we have tested many devices. Im genuinely wondering if its how us as individual golfers play and prepare for the shot.

That is quite strange. It shouldnt be a QC issue, as we have tested many devices. Im genuinely wondering if its how us as individual golfers play and prepare for the shot.
Are you saying it is an ID10T(idiot) error on this end? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Are you saying it is an ID10T error on this end? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Genuinely not.
To give you an example. I never ever take a practice swing. The first time I used this, when it was still in proto stage, I missed the entire first hole. Since then, I learned a few things about how it works and followed the steps entirely and it has worked for me, outside of one round it added 4 strokes.

Otherwise either it has been perfect or just a tiny edit here and there. But everybody is different and I think the learning curve might be larger for creatures of habit.

Genuinely not.
To give you an example. I never ever take a practice swing. The first time I used this, when it was still in proto stage, I missed the entire first hole. Since then, I learned a few things about how it works and followed the steps entirely and it has worked for me, outside of one round it added 4 strokes.

Otherwise either it has been perfect or just a tiny edit here and there. But everybody is different and I think the learning curve might be larger for creatures of habit.

By following the steps do you mean you started taking practice swings? Or did you find there were less intrusive ways to assure it catches all your shots without needing practice swings?

By following the steps do you mean you started taking practice swings? Or did you find there were less intrusive ways to assure it catches all your shots without needing practice swings?

I started taking a single practice swing or more so a glide of a swing right before I setup to the ball.

Is there any pattern to the shots that are missed?

Do you have the latest firmware update that shows the last tag registered? Worst case scenario, if you notice a missed shot in realtime, you can just swing the club again afterwards before moving to the next shot, though I know that counteracts the supposed convenience of the system.

Mine has missed a few shots recently, too, but not 20. It generally hasn't taken much of a 'practice swing' for mine to register, either.

I have not tried any of these systems. How accurate is the distance tracking features?
I have the garmin s20 and whatever the scope on the handle are called. Mine is pretty much spot on to my laser finder. I rarely have more than a yard or two difference.

Is there any pattern to the shots that are missed?

Do you have the latest firmware update that shows the last tag registered? Worst case scenario, if you notice a missed shot in realtime, you can just swing the club again afterwards before moving to the next shot, though I know that counteracts the supposed convenience of the system.

Mine has missed a few shots recently, too, but not 20. It generally hasn't taken much of a 'practice swing' for mine to register, either.

It isn't missed shots for me. It is over by 20+ shots. I was walking around the hole a lot because it was a couple tournament rounds.

It isn't missed shots for me. It is over by 20+ shots. I was walking around the hole a lot because it was a couple tournament rounds.
I should read down the thread more before posting. :surrender:

That's even worse. A bunch of extra wedge shots?

This system saved me from a dumb mistake. 190 out - walk to my ball to confirm distance and my watch shows 9-iron. I’m thinking “well this system has so many quirks to fix” - check my club and I grabbed the damn 9 instead of 6. Thank you Shotscope.

Back