I had my first experience with the V3 yesterday. I’m guilty of not reading the instructions and that’s completely on me. But with that admission out of the way an overarching impression so far is that the device isn’t super easy to use. It appears to me the device isn’t one of those things where you open the box and go.

I was prompted to upgrade the firmware like 5 times (and failed 4 times) during initial setup. As a result I played the first 2 holes without the V3 functioning optimally. Post round, I see my shots on each hole but I can’t fihure out how to edit scores / shots and apparently I need to sign out in order to get advanced statistics.

Again, very possible that this is on me. But I might have expected it to be a little out of the box easier.

On the flip side, once I got the watch functioning it was great. Clear display, great battery usage, really appreciated have F/B/M to the greens and carry numbers for hazards. I didn’t reach for my laser once.

That’s it for my first use, more to come...

Last edited:
This reminds me I need to charge mine up to take out tomorrow. Thanks!

I had my first experience with the V3 yesterday. I’m guilty of not reading the instructions and that’s completely on me. But with that admission out of the way an overarching impression so far is that the device isn’t super easy to use. It appears to me the device isn’t one of those things where you open the box and go.

I was prompted to upgrade the firmware like 5 times (and failed 4 times) during initial setup. As a result I played the first 2 holes without the V3 functioning optimally. Post round, I see my shots on each hole but I can’t fihure out how to edit scores / shots and apparently I need to sign out in order to get advanced statistics.

Again, very possible that this is on me. But I might have expected it to be a little out of the box easier.

On the flip side, once I got the watch functioining it was great. Clear display, great battery usage, really appreciated have F/B/M to the greens and carry numbers for hazards. I didn’t reach for my laser once.

That’s it for my first use, more to come...
Good information here. I took mine out and booted and set it up and that was fairly involved as well. I'll have to make sure to double check everything before I know I'm hitting the course.

I, too, have found that the neither the process to upgrade firmware nor update a course due to a re-map is exactly error free. As far as editing post-round, the easiest way I have found is to use the "Dashboard" on the website on a PC. Shots and penalties can be easily added or deleted, club used can be changed, shots moved around (I find that mostly around the green), stats viewed.......The only thing I use the app for is to synch my rounds to the server and to get a little different look at stats given that Shots Gained can only be viewed on the app.

I, too, have found that the neither the process to upgrade firmware nor update a course due to a re-map is exactly error free. As far as editing post-round, the easiest way I have found is to use the "Dashboard" on the website on a PC. Shots and penalties can be easily added or deleted, club used can be changed, shots moved around (I find that mostly around the green), stats viewed.......The only thing I use the app for is to synch my rounds to the server and to get a little different look at stats given that Shots Gained can only be viewed on the app.
Yes I hate that it is always wrong around the greens, but somehow still tries to give putting stats lol

Yes I hate that it is always wrong around the greens, but somehow still tries to give putting stats lol
I think until the L5 GPS band is fully deployed that is going to continue to be the case. GPS just isn't accurate enough at this point to be able to fine tune putting stats to the degree we would all like.

More random thoughts...

My distances were definitely way off from what I consider normal. This is a nice way the device helps us with our games. There's the obvious stuff like readjusting the clubs we play given our normal distances, etc. But for me it has be really thinking about my swing...just because it feels like I hit the center of the face doesn't mean I have optimally delivered the clubface to the ball. I like that the tool gives us these types of insights into our game, as it ultimately should be the basis for improvement.

I think until the L5 GPS band is fully deployed that is going to continue to be the case. GPS just isn't accurate enough at this point to be able to fine tune putting stats to the degree we would all like.

Why not use the manual putting option ?
That’s what I do and it seems close enough. If something is egregious enough off I just edit it post round.

Why not use the manual putting option ?
That’s what I do and it seems close enough. If something is egregious enough off I just edit it post round.
I do use manual putting mode but often find putts near the edge of the green either are recorded as being on the green when they are not, or vice versa. Also, even tap-in putts are recorded as being 2-3 feet. I think the granularity of the putting stats in 6-foot increments is a testament to the inaccuracies of GPS at present.

I do use manual putting mode but often find putts near the edge of the green either are recorded as being on the green when they are not, or vice versa. Also, even tap-in putts are recorded as being 2-3 feet. I think the granularity of the putting stats in 6-foot increments is a testament to the inaccuracies of GPS at present.
I get it. I’m not sure any tech based on a satellite many many miles above the earth is ever going to be accurate within a foot or two. I know from having game golf though shot scopes putting is much better.

Today might have been the final nail in the coffin for this to be used for tracking stats. I had to go in and add and remove way too many shots today. I am pretty much guessing by the looks of the picture from overhead, I cannot how am I getting accurate distances out of this. I like the GPS feature but as far as tracking....I find this very lacking with missed and ghost shots having to be edited after a round constantly.

Has anyone had their tags fall/break off of grips? I had to purchase a second set of tags because on my Lamkin grips they were falling off or even breaking off. However on my wedges that I use more frequently they dont. The difference is that driver thru GW is Lamkin, which has a rounded butt, and on the two wedges I have Golf Prides that have a flat bottom. On Monday my driver tag snapped off again when it was in the bag.

I contacted shot scope and they are sending me replacement tags (customer service was really good), but Ive decided to go all Golf Pride grips because of that. They did mention they hadnt heard of anything on their end unless the grip hole on the bottom was too large, and I could use a dap of silicone to keep the tag secured to the grip.

I was just curious to see if anyone else has had issues with the rounded butt grips. So far I havent had any issues with what others have said with missed shots and such. The only gripe I have is, I have to turn the watch on right away because it takes a while to get the course info from the GPS location.

I had one break on driver grip that was a touch rounded at the end inside the bag. I assume from me putting in the bag swiftly after a bad shot. So I won't fault shot scope.

The only problem I have had with tags was losing a putter tag. I did not notice exactly when it happened as I had switched to the manual putting mode before losing it. It was a Stroke Lab putter so I had cut off a couple of the threads to be able to screw it in but apparently it was not secure enough. Since I have three putters that are in and out of the bag I ordered the set of three putter tags (one with threads, two without) even though I have stuck with manual putting mode where you don't even need that putter tag. My grips on all my other clubs are from Golf Pride for what that is worth.

My only issue with the tags is when I thin one they have a tendency to start backing out, so it's a habit of checking them after every shot now.

Today might have been the final nail in the coffin for this to be used for tracking stats. I had to go in and add and remove way too many shots today. I am pretty much guessing by the looks of the picture from overhead, I cannot how am I getting accurate distances out of this. I like the GPS feature but as far as tracking....I find this very lacking with missed and ghost shots having to be edited after a round constantly.

Im pretty much done with mine. I still wear it for my distances, but for shot tracking, it’s a complete waste of time. Sometimes, the club will register at just the slightest touch, other times, same club, same round, I stand in the fairway furiously swinging desperately trying to get the tag to register. I don’t even bother trying to download the rounds any more. Hate to say it, but probably the poorest product I’ve used on a golf course.

Last edited:
The 2nd time out was substantially better than the first. And I’m starting to figure some things out. The numbers for shots on the green were clearly wrong for 2 or 3 holes but once I figured out how to edit that was easily remedied. I get that people may be bummed about the stuff around the greens but if today’s experience is indicative of the normal,experience then color me impressed. This is the 3rd or 4th electronics measuring device I’ve tried and it looks like it may be the best. I think I’d pay out of pocket for it.

For those who haven’t read the entire thread..
1. Setup the device well in advance of your first round
2. Download the app
3. Play your round.
4. Sync the device / upload rounds.
5. Go to a PC, log in, edit anything that needs editing.
6. Sign out.
7. Access stats

I think I’d pay out of pocket for it.

Hate to be that guy to say this..... but most of us did so the " I think" is where some of us with less than stellar experiences are on the "why did I pay out of the pocket for this?"

With that said I have taken all the RF ids out of my clubs and turned my Shot scope into just a GPS watch. With as much editing of the distances and not accurate information of where I hit with my irons and such I have lost faith in the one reason I got this to start out with. I want to KNOW my distances on the course since I do not have constant access to a track man or the like. It turns into a guess still. I stood in the middle of a few greens today and looked at my "GPS only" watch and without the putting screen blocking my view of distances, the closest reading I got was 7 yards from the center of the green. I get mapping and blah blah blah but 30 feet on average is almost the distance between my irons, so again a guessing game. It is nice for a quick look to pull a club. But of you want real data to learn your distances to up you iron game, pick something else.

I want to KNOW my distances on the course
Since getting my V3 last July, I have played approximately 120 rounds using it. Weather conditions, which can dramatically affect distances, have varied from temps in the 90s to temps in the 30s, dry conditions to wet conditions, calm to windy, in all combinations. I would say my club distances as shown by Shot Scope are right where I would expect them to be, confirming the distances I assigned to my clubs pre-V3. When editing, with the exception of putting, I see where my shots being taken from and ending up to be pretty accurate considering the limitations of GPS.

As for around the green, that seems to vary from day-to-day. Standing on the same green, one day the watch is showing a distance to the center, then another day the pin collect screen is showing. Here again, I attribute that to GPS inaccuracy, According to GPS.gov, "GPS-enabled smartphones are typically accurate to within a 4.9 m (16 ft.) radius under open sky. However, their accuracy worsens near buildings, bridges, and trees." I judge the Shot scope watch to be in the same category as a smart phone. Granted, the V3 is a dual frequency receiver which is a method to increase accuracy, but the two frequencies employed are the L1 and L5 and L5 is not fully deployed among all GPS satellites so its ability to increase accuracy depends greatly on one's location.

Hate to be that guy to say this..... but most of us did so the " I think" is where some of us with less than stellar experiences are on the "why did I pay out of the pocket for this?"

With that said I have taken all the RF ids out of my clubs and turned my Shot scope into just a GPS watch. With as much editing of the distances and not accurate information of where I hit with my irons and such I have lost faith in the one reason I got this to start out with. I want to KNOW my distances on the course since I do not have constant access to a track man or the like. It turns into a guess still. I stood in the middle of a few greens today and looked at my "GPS only" watch and without the putting screen blocking my view of distances, the closest reading I got was 7 yards from the center of the green. I get mapping and blah blah blah but 30 feet on average is almost the distance between my irons, so again a guessing game. It is nice for a quick look to pull a club. But of you want real data to learn your distances to up you iron game, pick something else.
That's fine, no offense taken.

I have yet to find anything that is perfect. I couldn't make it through a full round using Arccos because it was such a drain on my phone's battery, plus I had to keep the phone in my pocket, which I didn't really like. That meant I was often playing with my phone attached to a charger, both devices in my pocket. No thanks. Another device by a golf OEM affixed to the club...except it didn't stay on the club and even if it did that isn't practical at all for trying to play on a course. Fail. Another device is only intended for the range and doesn't work at all. Fail. I play with a friend who uses The Grint (?). You have to take your phone out after arriving at the ball and record the club used to get your distances. After every single shot. And I'm not sure that even works for putting. No thanks. So is the Shotscope perfect? No. But so far - in my whopping 2 rounds - it is light years better than anything else I have found.

I trend toward the unforgiving on products. I expect products that are brought to market to work. But I also know that GPS is not perfectly precise. It just isn't. So we have a device that functions, it allows for editing to correct for technology limitations and it provides other functional values. I do think set up could be easier, I think some people will be rightfully turned off by the fact you ultimately need 3 devices to make this work - watch, smart phone and PC - and needing to edit every round will be considered a hassle by some people. Maybe with enough rounds I will be one of those people. But so far I like what ShotScope offers.

Last edited:
Any news on the L5 satellites? Wondering if accuracy will induce this season if more of them are in operation?

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Any game golf users switch over to this? I know the GG transfer app is done but I still use mine with the phone app. The medallion battery died and stopped holding charge but I was able to find and replace the battery. It just doesn’t vibrate now but that’s no bid deal. Still tracks. I’ve thought about Arccos but I don’t like the big screw in knobs, and I don’t like the smart grips because they’re apparently a bit thinner and still have a 1/2” or more of a “butt end” that you need to choke up on. The thing I love about GG tags is their small and unnoticeable.

How is the no tagging experience compared to GG? Is it missing shots? How does it know you swing if you’re not tagging and how does it not tag a practice swing as a real swing? Is the GPS as accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw an email from them today that they added some new features to the app.

The presentation of the stats on the app is totally different and they added some stats! I just wish the on-line Dashboard was the same as that is where I do my editing.

I wish they would enable one to pick and choose which rounds one could look at for the stats. Last 1, 5, 15 whatever doesn't cut it if one plays multiple courses. There is no way one can look at the stats for a particular course if it is always "all" or the last "x" number of rounds.

The presentation of the stats on the app is totally different and they added some stats! I just wish the on-line Dashboard was the same as that is where I do my editing.

I wish they would enable one to pick and choose which rounds one could look at for the stats. Last 1, 5, 15 whatever doesn't cut it if one plays multiple courses. There is no way one can look at the stats for a particular course if it is always "all" or the last "x" number of rounds.

I sent them a message about this last year around July when I got the watch and they said it was in their pipeline of enhancements that would be coming out.
I like to look at rounds played in May-Oct which is more prime conditions. Lately its rained so much around here that my drives are 20-40 yds shorter on avg. So its nice to select the rounds or a date range to display stats. Game Golf added this and was a nice feature.

I also asked if they would be labeling the club names instead of using color coded numbers (which is a pain and confusing to remember) and they said that was also going to be updated as well. Neither have happened yet, so fingers crossed.

Back