Should dogs be allowed on the golf course?

I think I'd rather not see them... If I do, I won't say anything either good or bad whether the dog or dogs are behaved or not. I've been bitten a time or two when I was younger so I don't approach strange dogs anymore.

I used to think I was a dog person. I'm not. Every dog I've had a hand in selecting has never been smart or loyal. They've always been as dumb as a box of hammers.

I think with golf there's a real opportunity to handle it on an individual basis. Not public, relatively low amount of total participants who tend to know each other.

Actually....

It’s a cookie cutter world but this is a good test. Can we police ourselves enough? Or will we get offensive if someone is offended by our offensive dog?

My dog is not a golfing dog. She’s about my age in dog years now but still my little baby girl. I’ll kill anyone or anything that looks at her funny. I have no other daughters? 🤷‍♂️

However, she has no place on the course and I know that. If she was chill and loved it, go ahead and say something. I’m not quite scary big yet but size, speed, and technique? Hmmm. I take me.

If she’s herself, I’ll just leave her home. So no worries! But if she was well behaved? Oh boy, she’d be the last thing you’d fear before you realize what you should if you pissed her off.

My ex! 🤣

My favorite courses generally have a friendly course dog or two.

It’s a good indicator of a place that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

My favorite courses generally have a friendly course dog or two.

It’s a good indicator of a place that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

Friendly dog?

Next time hold its hand and just let that flow. Then hit your shot.

You can thank me later;)

I have always loved seeing a course dog. I prefer the social ones that swing by on the fly to say hello.
Always brightens my round.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

In case anyone was unsure, neither my dog nor any others - should be on the course - unless they are specifically trained to shoo away geese - thus serving a purpose on the course. My family and I are fiercely loyal to our dogs currently Rocco as shown in the earlier photo - he's a small (for breed) Cane Corso - Italian Mastiff - very loyal to us and nice dog - has never hurt anyone but moments of maximum stupid - that are both annoying and funny - if he were on a course, there is no doubt in mind that he'd eat/attack as many golf balls as possible, play in the water, chase animals, carts, run around like he was literally nuts and just do that all day long. Oh, and he's well trained too! I shudder to think how he (and millions of other dogs would do), loose, on course not as well trained.

So, it's a no for me Dawg (sorry, had to).

I wouldn't have a problem as long as they are well mannered and owners pick up after them. I'd also like to have a cat to pet after a particularly devious up and down...

1620744028750.png

Other than the maintenance crew who have trained their dogs on where to go to the bathroom, absolutely not.

If people can't fix a ball mark, they can't be trusted to pick up their dog's crap. Additionally, even a dog peeing will create a nitrogen brown spot on the grass.

Finally, I have no interest in hearing your dog barking, or waiting while someone chases around a dog that "never does that."

Sorry to be that "get of my lawn" guy, but nope, no leeway on this one.

Reactions: RD

Probably 6 putted 16.

Seems a little excessive still though. I 6 putted a couple weeks ago and at most I’d have found out if the SS 5.0 will make my putter float had it been a 7 putt. You gotta draw the line somewhere!

Jeesh.

I'm going to be a b*tch and say no. No dogs. No music. Both are hard noes from me. I go to the golf course to be out in nature and listen to the birds and breeze through the trees. To hear the pop of the ball off a Ping driver that reminds me of opening a can of beer. To hear the crack of the ball hitting a tree. There's enough s*** on the course already from geese. We don't need to add dog s*** to it. And while I know some dog owners will pick up after their animals, there are those who won't because there are golfers who do their business in the woods instead of using the bathrooms that are around the course.

Nope...not a chance. Even though I love dogs, most people don't have them trained well enough to not run around or bark or mess up the course.

I bring this guy to destroy your course. :p

Sharing just to further the discussion.

I play a lot of evening rounds at my home course. It’s an urban course. So every even there is a guy that runs his dogs in the “creek”off leash. The creek is an over grown strip of dense vegetation and occasional transient encampment. His dogs run in and out chasing everything that moves and he follows.

I think dogs should not be allowed on the golf course. I think it's a bad idea. Also, the dog can swallow a golf ball or dig a hole right on the lawn. This will cause problems for the dog owner. In general, I don't care about the lawn when a dog can swallow a golf ball and suffocate. This is rather necessary to protect pets.
My dog is also very curious and likes to taste everything. There were many cases when my dog tried to eat a ball, shoes, bags. From this then, my dog farts a lot. On cleverpuppies.com, I read that when dogs fart, it's normal. However, my dog farted only after tasting the next package.

Last edited:
It's not the dogs. It's the owners. The same guy that spits sunflower seeds on the greens, doesn't repair his ball marks and leaves cigar stubs laying about, would be the guy that brings his St Bernard to crap all over the course. The handful of bad dog owners would ruin it in no time.

Played an evening very casual round yesterday. Would have loved to bring my dog, but they are not allowed.

I always enjoy seeing when people or the maintenance crew have a dog that lives on the course, and dogs are more common on courses in Scotland/older golf regions.

What are your thoughts?
I think it would be nice. I might be less likely to scream and break my club in half :LOL: I saw an English course in 'Adventures in Golf' on YouTube that had dogs... but it was also half park; there were people picnicking on the greens. That's a little much for me. Good series btw

I have mixed feelings on this as a dog person. We have several dogs and one of them, a Cavalier, jumps into my golf cart and heads out with me. She’ll just sit on the seat, let the fan blow on her and expect a treat or two while I play, would never know she is there. My other two I’d never expose to golfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love dogs, LOVE them. Don't want them on the course.

If the dog is behaved, doesn't affect pace of play and playing partners have no allergies then why not?!

Dogs should not be allowed on course , either restrained or free to roam . It’s sporting venue not a dog park . Further there is potential that can damage the environment, the greens with urine / feaces . And also fight with other dogs or annoy other people or in some cases assault.

We have a member of our golf group who has a dog ( companion animal ) for issues with serving in military and war. No issue with that it’s on lead and docile and trained for purpose.

Happy for dogs to be taken to parks or walked etc also.

We play several golf courses that have course dogs, who will follow the crew around, are allowed in the clubhouse, and are really comfortable around people. I have noticed that a lot of them are labradoodles. I kind of hare that "breeders" are screwing up the Labrador bloodline, but the dogs seem remarkably settled and well mannered. One thing that I have not seen is a golfer bring their dog to the golf course! Maybe it's a regional thing. I have observed dogs running loose on courses that wind through housing developments.

Played an evening very casual round yesterday. Would have loved to bring my dog, but they are not allowed.

I always enjoy seeing when people or the maintenance crew have a dog that lives on the course, and dogs are more common on courses in Scotland/older golf regions.

What are your thoughts?
As a long time dog owner I get it. The fact is it is not the dogs that are the problem, it's some of the dog owners. Some dog owners don't know that dog training is really owner training. Also, while dogs can be socialized to people and children, some people and children are not socialized to dogs and that can lead to some stressful encounters.

We have a local course that started feeding a stray about 10 years ago and became the course dog. He had a GREAT LIFE. Went out with one or more of the groundskeeping staff every day. Got lots of love from the dog lovers out playing a round. We lost him this past year. But again, he had a great life!

Last edited:
Back