Should Golf Have a Dress Code?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
After listening to the latest podcast episode of Off Course on THP Radio, the thought about dress codes is fresh in my mind. While the world has gotten more lax with most apparel policy, golf apparel has stayed fairly stagnant.

Simple rules really. Collared shirt or awful Blade Collar and the like, golf shorts and sometimes a course might ask you to tuck in your shirt. Do you think that is too much?

Should it be a free? Would it be more inviting of a game if it was come as you are?

You tell us. Sound off below.

2.jpg

Continue reading...

I don't really care one way or the other 😁

Yes. I prefer tucked in shirts, hats facing the right way, collars and sleeves. I am not a fan of T-shirts or untucked shirts. This is a golf course, not a frat house.

At courses that cost $50-$500 a round, I wouldn’t expect that those who can afford play would be wearing cut-off jeans and a tank top. So I don’t know how many have a problem with it. At the local muni courses, I don’t think a dress code is needed.

I don’t care. Their course, the rules. If someone doesn’t like it they can play somewhere with more relaxed rules.

When it comes to people who play 1x a year, dress code does seem to help with people‘s behavior.

I prefer it does have a dress code. I don't enjoy seeing people on course in cut of jeans or t-shirts and tank tops

I am fine with the rules. I am not a tuck my shirt in guy but that is really because being kinda tall it is hard to find shirts that are long enough that do not feel like I am wearing a tent. So I generally leave them untucked. If asked I would tuck it in though.

I definitely think the better courses (>$50/round green fees) should be able to have a dress code: collared shirts tucked into pants or shorts and caps with the bills facing forward. I don't care at the lesser courses. I played as charity tournament at a little Muni that their dress code was "shirts must be worn at all times while on the course". That was on the sign headed to the first tee box.

I appreciate the dress code. If muni courses are going to charge me 40-50 then dress code should be mandatory... dress in polo and golf shorts. I dont like seeing tanks, sleeveless, t shirts, bball shorts. Look presentable, not a stickler for tucked in polo, but I think it is the way you should look.

I think it's something that should be left for the course to decide. At some courses - private clubs and high end public - I would expect a dress code. At a local muni or lower level public courses, I wouldn't expect it. If you don't agree with the dress code or lack thereof, no one is forcing you to play there.

If you dont have rules, you will see all sorts of of dumb sh*t. Then when you question that one individual they will respond with "no rules". Give someone an inch, they will take it a mile.

I prefer to “dress the part” when I am on the course so adhering to a dress code, if one exists, is not an issue to me. I played a course last week where I watched a guy tee off in a cut off tee shirt. I wasn’t offended. The course was $22 to ride 18 so he may have been dressed appropriately....
Not a fan of jeans on the course though. I realize opinions on that matter vary greatly.

I am of the camp that any business can set its rules for behavior/dress as it sees fit. If the general market won't support the business because of those rules, they will either have to alter them or go out of business.

So to me, I don't really care. If a coat and tails was required for a certain course, I probably wouldn't play there. On the flip side if there was no dress code and I saw people out in jorts and tank tops I would probably avoid playing there as well.

Yes. I prefer tucked in shirts, hats facing the right way, collars and sleeves. I am not a fan of T-shirts or untucked shirts. This is a golf course, not a frat house.
This is the correct answers.

It doesn't bother me that I have to wear a collared shirt - but I'm not tucking in my shirt or putting on a belt for anyone. And I'll wear my hat any way I like. Seriously - it's America. There's nothing sacrosanct about a golf course. How someone else dresses literally has zero impact on you - except when you decide it does :) I also support the right of every golf course to make it's own rules... and I'll exercise my rights as a consumer as to whether I play there.

With golf courses closing left and right in our area over the past 10 years, I would think the last thing golf needs are dress code rules that might discourage someone from playing on a course or result in folks being turned away. But hey, that's just me.

This conversation does make me laugh a touch.

Acceptable.

1595435827102.png

Unacceptable.

1595435927334.png

another vote for letting the course decide. people will vote with their wallets.

i can't recall ever scoffing at or getting offended over someone else's attire.
I wouldn’t go as far as to say I was offended but this really bothered me.
6748A07E-EEE7-4FCF-95BD-650CAE594C62.jpeg

I am fine with the dress code. If someone does not like there are plenty of other places to go play. Tucking a shirt in seems way overkill but it doesn't bother me either way.

I'm with the courses can typically decide crew for the most part. It's unlikely you're going to have someone at a really nice place roll up in jeans and tank top, but have some rules on the wall if you want just in case. If you run a local goat track you know better than I do what's going to need to be allowed to keep it up and running.

The 'shirt must be tucked in' will forever be the dumbest thing in the world to me. It's old, and stuffy, and stupid. My golf appropriate shirts (polos and the like) that were designed to be worn untucked are nicer, fit better, and look better than the ones that weren't. Basing anything on that reeks of 'a guy's hair can't touch his collar' and other old attitudes. You can have some style and individuality and still look twice as professional as someone who meets the letter of the traditional (outdated) dress code law.

Last edited:
If you don't care enough to put on a decent pair of shorts and a shirt, do you really care enough to show respect for other golfers, care for the course, and respect the game?

Nice clothes is no guarantee of good behavior (as many of us have I'm sure encountered well-dressed douche-bags) and wearing jean cutoffs and a tank-top isn't an indicator you're anything but perhaps the nicest guy in the world.

That said, I think my original contention has some merit. If you care enough about golf to wear appropriate clothing, there's at least higher chance your behavior will be appropriate.

I support a dress code. I do think that not allowing spikeless golf shoes is going a bit far, but it's not my course.

In defense of tucked in shirts, it comes down to whether the shirt fits or not. I see too many golfers wearing s***s that lets their belly hang out or hang wah too far down. untucked is fine as long as the shirt length is appropriate.

I support a course's ability to have a dress code, and have no problem sticking to it.

At the muni I am frequenting now, I have worn a t shirt twice during a speed twilight walking 18, and it was glorious, and within their dress code.

Back