Should Golf Have a Dress Code?

Your correct to a degree but again this misses the point entirely.

And just for sake of debate I bet you anything (unless you bee sheltered your whole life) that I can dress one in given attire that would certainly make you concerned and even uncomfortable as for just who it is thats out there with you even if you dont now admit it.

Of course but we are talking about the realm of reasonableness not fringe exceptions. Sure, I'd be uncomfortable if someone walked in to a McDonald's not wearing any pants but I don't think we'd even need to have a discussion about that because it is beyond the realm of reasonable. Likewise, here we are discussing things a bit less outlandish like lack of collars, jeans, sweatpants, etc. none of these things would make me blink an eye, even a little. Heck I played the last three days and I couldn't tell you even a little bit what the others around me were wearing.

I don't know I guess it is from having been on cruises where little old ladies are worried about whether your necktie is the appropriate length from the main dining room or not that as completely turned me off (again obviously within reason) of thinking about the attire of others.

In the typical park where people are playing pickup soccer, basketball, running, etc. I have found very few occasions where someone's dress was completely inappropriate. Those extreme cases can be dealt with, but again, that is not the point here.

Heck I played the last three days and I couldn't tell you even a little bit what the others around me were wearing.

Exactly, I can’t wrap my head around this notion of golf being a social activity where folks judge each other’s clothing, I’m sure that’s common at some courses but it is so far from my experience you might as well be playing golf on another planet.
When I walk into the clubhouse this afternoon, I won’t see “the club”, a committee, a pro, or an official, nope just some dude behind the counter who doesn’t bat an eye at me as he packs up my 6 pack, I might see some kid in the cart shed who’s napping. Maybe someone will be on the first tee box when we start, they might glance back once, more than likely we won’t get within 150yds of them all afternoon. That’s it, we’ll enjoy our round played in relative solitude, gloriously free from prying eyes, and judgement. If the golf experience is different on other planets I don’t want anything to do with it.

Last edited:
After listening to the latest podcast episode of Off Course on THP Radio, the thought about dress codes is fresh in my mind. While the world has gotten more lax with most apparel policy, golf apparel has stayed fairly stagnant.

Simple rules really. Collared shirt or awful Blade Collar and the like, golf shorts and sometimes a course might ask you to tuck in your shirt. Do you think that is too much?

Should it be a free? Would it be more inviting of a game if it was come as you are?

You tell us. Sound off below.

View attachment 8954565

Continue reading...
The climate or type golf course drives my evolving attitude on this subject. Golf is a business and businesses have rules. Its my choice if I choose to patronize. IF I do then I should follow the rules in place of the establishment.

As far as personal thoughts here goes, IF its a high traffic municipal course than I really don't have a problem with cutoff jeans and t-shirts. What I have a problem with is speed cart golfers that attempt to merge Nascar and golf together. NO problem with Nascar -- keep it on the tv or the road, play golf with a little class.

Now on to the topic at hand. IF its a country club or private club, well it comes with the territory-dress a little more formal or by the rules-period.

IF you're on vacation at the beach and its a public-semi private course, I still prefer shirt with collar and khaki's but on the driving range I don't really care. Again the course rules dictate the attire most of the time.

IF its in a geographical region where the clientele that play a particular course are farmers/rural or blue collar/factory or doctors/nurses wearing scrubs or whatever -- that's awesome I would hope the course would adjust the dress code accordingly for everyone. Guess I said a lot to say -- it just depends on the climate 🙂 and the rules of the business/club ownership.

i'm down to golf in whatever a course chooses to allow me to wear...will i dress all the way down to some of the things i've seen? no. but i am okay with athletic shorts and t-shirts...i don't want to practice in a collared shirt, belt with shorts/pants, etc. i went through too many years of being told how to dress in my off time.

Is there any sport without a dress code? None I can think of......

Is there any sport without a dress code? None I can think of......
I mean, if not an actual dress code, at least a manner of dress commonly associated with the sport.

you folks imo are missing the point. Most of us probably donty even realize what our playing partners are wearing
Of course but we are talking about the realm of reasonableness not fringe exceptions. Sure, I'd be uncomfortable if someone walked in to a McDonald's not wearing any pants but I don't think we'd even need to have a discussion about that because it is beyond the realm of reasonable. Likewise, here we are discussing things a bit less outlandish like lack of collars, jeans, sweatpants, etc. none of these things would make me blink an eye, even a little. Heck I played the last three days and I couldn't tell you even a little bit what the others around me were wearing.

I don't know I guess it is from having been on cruises where little old ladies are worried about whether your necktie is the appropriate length from the main dining room or not that as completely turned me off (again obviously within reason) of thinking about the attire of others.

In the typical park where people are playing pickup soccer, basketball, running, etc. I have found very few occasions where someone's dress was completely inappropriate. Those extreme cases can be dealt with, but again, that is not the point here.
Exactly, I can’t wrap my head around this notion of golf being a social activity where folks judge each other’s clothing, I’m sure that’s common at some courses but it is so far from my experience you might as well be playing golf on another planet.
When I walk into the clubhouse this afternoon, I won’t see “the club”, a committee, a pro, or an official, nope just some dude behind the counter who doesn’t bat an eye at me as he packs up my 6 pack, I might see some kid in the cart shed who’s napping. Maybe someone will be on the first tee box when we start, they might glance back once, more than likely we won’t get within 150yds of them all afternoon. That’s it, we’ll enjoy our round played in relative solitude, gloriously free from prying eyes, and judgement. If the golf experience is different on other planets I don’t want anything to do with it.
Not to either of you but to many folks here. Many of you imo are taking it to mean that anyone who doesnt have a collared shirt is being peered at and judged as a bad person or one who cant behave well enough for the course. People seem to take it as an insult and or cant understand why it matters what they wear.

But truth is no one really know us and so asking for a soft dress code (which is really all this is) is a way to let us know that the course expects us to maintain an atmosphere of respectable behavior and also says that this what we can expect in return while there due to the fact that everyone else is asked the same of.
Its really nothing more than that in the end.
Its not about insulting anyone and its not about poorly judging and most of us (as mentioned) probably dont even realize what others wearing (unless it was very unusual). The only thing it is,..is a way to let us know respectable behavior etiquette is expected from us and is what we could also anticipate in return.

There is this notion and even unwritten rule nowadays that there can be no barriers no matter how small and any such thing at all is snobby, or negative discrimination, or insulting, and incorrect, or elitism, etc,etc,...

No one is saying a person is bad because they want to wear cargo shorts and a tee shirt. What they are saying is that they would like everyone to meet this "X" soft dress code while there for the reasons given above. I dint get why its so hard to do nor do i get why something as small as this like so many things has to be ripped out of society so that no one feels left out or insulted and everyone can just fit into everything whatever way they see fit to do so.
Honestly with due respect to all i think its just a bit ridiculous and just as much so as anyone who feels its ridiculous to have one.

Having one only asks for something nice (thats all it does) vs not having one which asks for nothing at all. It seems people view that "nice" as a standard and god for bid we ask society of any standards at all however so small without insulting folks and or getting negative reactions.

Last edited:
I think that a dress code is good. Always try to look semi decent, collar shirt and nice shorts. Some muni courses maybe a bit less, but I will always where what i think appropriate for golf.

I didn't read all this but isn't it up to the courses to set and enforce their own dress codes? Should they? - Up to them. Will you play there? - Up to you.

Yes, to the dress code. While we are at it, no ******* boom boxes or blue tooth noise makers. Also, the next time I see some slob dropping a lit cigar ANYWHERE on a golf course it will be inserted into a cavity of my choice.

I too didn't read every comment here, I will later.

But for me ... I would rather see some sort of code. For several reasons. Having a dress code sets a standard. Otherwise, where does it end? If one person is allowed to play in cut off jeans and no shoes (golf or otherwise), then is it ok for the next person to wear a banana hammock? Having a code eliminates the finger-pointing ..."he's wearing jeans ... she's wearing a bikini top".

As an avid golfer, If I see a foursome ahead of us and they are wearing jeans, tank tops, flip flops or similar, My first thought (yes, judging a book by its cover) is "great, this is going to be a long round".

If they all duff the ball ... my 4 hour round just went to 5 hours or longer.

If they were wearing proper golf attire, my first thought after someone duffs the ball is "oooh, poor guy, he's in for a tough day". Clothes make the man.

Now granted if they all crush it 300+ yards, then my bad.

It's a slippery slope ,,, have you seen the websites dedicated to what people are wearing to WALMART? We have lost touch with the "human contract". Doing what we want in public, Blowing our nose by plugging one nostril and snorting. No one wants to see that.

In the 1940's people dressed up to go to watch baseball. Fine dining has dress codes, There was a time (maybe still is) that 7-11 had a 'no shirt, no shoes, no service.'

If it's a city-run course that taxes pay for then wear what you want. If it is a Country Club or a privatley-owned public course, it is a business, not funded by city taxes. They can set the rules. If you owned a business would you not have rules, dress codes?? I am sure you can't walk into McDonald's barefoot or shirtless.

Granted, there is no need for Golftown or golf courses to charge $100 (or more) for a polo shirt. I saw a pair of golf shorts for $250 in Golftown once.

There are options for less expensive, quality clothes. Dress for success.

I am not saying sweater vests and argyle socks. Just be presentable. In fact, jeans are fine and even t-shirts, it might be all you have. But just respect the game, the course and other golfers.

Speaking of Walmart, they have nice golf shirts. Branded Ben Hogan shirts for less than $20.

If you think you will look funny wearing brightly colored golf clothes on the course ... think again, you probably get more looks if you are not wearing golf attire.

If your golf game sucks, hide it by wearing golf attire. Other golfers will think you are just having a bad round.

Yes, to the dress code. While we are at it, no ******* boom boxes or blue tooth noise makers. Also, the next time I see some slob dropping a lit cigar ANYWHERE on a golf course it will be inserted into a cavity of my choice.

Coughlin not holding back!

well dang....

The last time we were in Hawaii we played a famous course and got dressed to play. While we were in the Clubhouse a couple came in dresses in running shorts and tank tops when we were on the first tee they came out with rental sets. They asked if we minded if they could go in front of us cause they were in a hurry; We said go ahead and off they went in a dead run. It was a surprise they let them out like that.

I like to dress the sport, sort to speak, some may not, to each there own. If there's a dress code, follow or play some where else!

I'm in favor of dress codes at golf courses, but I don't ever tuck in my shirt and have never been asked to do it - anywhere. I do not play at any country clubs though, so who knows ...

A healthy, well cultured society will always set standards of conduct, including dress codes.

I too didn't read every comment here, I will later.

But for me ... I would rather see some sort of code. For several reasons. Having a dress code sets a standard. Otherwise, where does it end? If one person is allowed to play in cut off jeans and no shoes (golf or otherwise), then is it ok for the next person to wear a banana hammock? Having a code eliminates the finger-pointing ..."he's wearing jeans ... she's wearing a bikini top".

As an avid golfer, If I see a foursome ahead of us and they are wearing jeans, tank tops, flip flops or similar, My first thought (yes, judging a book by its cover) is "great, this is going to be a long round".

If they all duff the ball ... my 4 hour round just went to 5 hours or longer.

If they were wearing proper golf attire, my first thought after someone duffs the ball is "oooh, poor guy, he's in for a tough day". Clothes make the man.

Now granted if they all crush it 300+ yards, then my bad.

It's a slippery slope ,,, have you seen the websites dedicated to what people are wearing to WALMART? We have lost touch with the "human contract". Doing what we want in public, Blowing our nose by plugging one nostril and snorting. No one wants to see that.

In the 1940's people dressed up to go to watch baseball. Fine dining has dress codes, There was a time (maybe still is) that 7-11 had a 'no shirt, no shoes, no service.'

If it's a city-run course that taxes pay for then wear what you want. If it is a Country Club or a privatley-owned public course, it is a business, not funded by city taxes. They can set the rules. If you owned a business would you not have rules, dress codes?? I am sure you can't walk into McDonald's barefoot or shirtless.

Granted, there is no need for Golftown or golf courses to charge $100 (or more) for a polo shirt. I saw a pair of golf shorts for $250 in Golftown once.

There are options for less expensive, quality clothes. Dress for success.

I am not saying sweater vests and argyle socks. Just be presentable. In fact, jeans are fine and even t-shirts, it might be all you have. But just respect the game, the course and other golfers.

Speaking of Walmart, they have nice golf shirts. Branded Ben Hogan shirts for less than $20.

If you think you will look funny wearing brightly colored golf clothes on the course ... think again, you probably get more looks if you are not wearing golf attire.

If your golf game sucks, hide it by wearing golf attire. Other golfers will think you are just having a bad round.
Why shouldnt a public muni course also have a standard? I feel part of the issue with society in genral nowadays is the fact that standards like unofficial drss codes keep lacking more and more. And in my strong opinion I believe its no coincidence at all that so has respect, common courtesies, and etiquette gone down with it.

My muni courses are not funded by tax dollars and in fact its customers green fees not only supports the golf itself but also brings in excess which then supports other avenues of the municipality.
But regardless whether the muni golf is a money maker or not,...why in the world cant it still have a dress code policy?

Why is there this constant notion in this thread that somehow the general public does not have to nor is capable of a simple standard of a little dress code which does nothing more than suggest that we hold ourselves to a respectable standard of behavior and is also what we can then expect in return from others while we are there.
Why is this somehow the incorrect thing? Why not a a society cant we demand even a small standard without it being viewed as some type of negative discrimination or insult of some sort? Why must everyone fit into everything with zero standards and the way they see fit however they wish? Why can we not ask a small standard of each other to try to help maintain some of whatever is left of respectful good behavior , common courtesies and etiquette?

And please (to all) stop with the specific scenario where one can dress like a slob and be a great and well behaved person while another can dress great and yet be a total jerk. Sorry but that just inst relevant to the large picture.

Just when exactly had it become wrong to hold each other (as a society) accountable for a certain level of respect, etiquette and common courtesies to be displayed towards and with each other? A soft simple easy dress code really does nothing more than asks us to have an awareness of that. Why is this such a bad thing or problem at the public level? Are we that far gone? perhaps we are. and thats pretty sad imo.

Last edited:
Why can we not ask a small standard of each other to try to help maintain some of whatever is left of respectful good behavior , common courtesies and etiquette?

Mostly due to inadequate parenting and, or, a lack of good sense role models.

Mostly due to inadequate parenting and, or, a lack of good sense role models.
Not sure if what you mention was serious or kidding around. But I agree with it a good amount. And some even many may find that insulting, hence part of the very issue imo.

My muni courses are not funded by tax dollars and in fact its customers green fees not only supports the golf itself but also brings in excess which then supports other avenues of the municipality.

what paid to have the muni course in question built?

what paid to have the muni course in question built?
Or acquired I suppose can also be asked?
Certainly between the 5 full courses the county (as for I know). I believe one was sold for very little to the county, not sure about 2 more and then about year 2000 or so they builtb 2 sisiter courses on county land. No doubt tax dollars were spent. And I honestly do not know all the detail. But i do know golf was and has been a money maker for the county. Its why they added 2 more courses which may have been a mistake like many did via the over expansions during the Tiger influx. One course (instead of 2) probably would made the whole system even much more profitable today. None the less I do know that what the county brings in from its golf customers does support other than golf so it does make some money (to at least some degree).

But even if it was costing vs earning I just dont see where it would natter as for a society even in the municipal sector that we cannot or should not ask a little of each other like a simple soft easy dress code at our muni golf courses. Why so wrong just because its a muni? That just doesnt fly with me.

Why shouldnt a public muni course also have a standard? I feel part of the issue with society in genral nowadays is the fact that standards like unofficial drss codes keep lacking more and more. And in my strong opinion I believe its no coincidence at all that so has respect, common courtesies, and etiquette gone down with it.

But regardless whether the muni golf is a money maker or not,...why in the world cant it still have a dress code policy?

Why is there this constant notion in this thread that somehow the general public does not have to nor is capable of a simple standard of a little dress code which does nothing more than suggest that we hold ourselves to a respectable standard of behavior and is also what we can then expect in return from others while we are there.
Why is this somehow the incorrect thing? Why not a a society cant we demand even a small standard without it being viewed as some type of negative discrimination or insult of some sort? Why must everyone fit into everything with zero standards and the way they see fit however they wish? Why can we not ask a small standard of each other to try to help maintain some of whatever is left of respectful good behavior , common courtesies and etiquette?

And please (to all) stop with the specific scenario where one can dress like a slob and be a great and well behaved person while another can dress great and yet be a total jerk. Sorry but that just inst relevant to the large picture.

Just when exactly had it become wrong to hold each other (as a society) accountable for a certain level of respect, etiquette and common courtesies to be displayed towards and with each other? A soft simple easy dress code really does nothing more than asks us to have an awareness of that. Why is this such a bad thing or problem at the public level? Are we that far gone? perhaps we are. and thats pretty sad imo.
I don't mean to sound rude but, why don't you petition the golf courses you frequent to implement a dress code instead of beating this subject like a dead horse.
There is a course around here, actually the closest one to my house on my way to work, that would be convenient for me to utilize but it is a goat track with a bunch of Yahoo's on it that I won't set foot on. I make my own choices and and all us on here are grownass adults that can make our own decisions. If you're offended by the people at the courses you play, talk to the courses, not a group of random people on the internet.
Oh I forgot.....imo

I don't mean to sound rude but, why don't you petition the golf courses you frequent to implement a dress code instead of beating this subject like a dead horse.
There is a course around here, actually the closest one to my house on my way to work, that would be convenient for me to utilize but it is a goat track with a bunch of Yahoo's on it that I won't set foot on. I make my own choices and and all us on here are grownass adults that can make our own decisions. If you're offended by the people at the courses you play, talk to the courses, not a group of random people on the internet.
Oh I forgot.....imo
Who says I have an issue or am offended with folks at my courses?
We actually have a collared shirt code anyway.

And im not going to decide what you are just because you may not have a collared shirt on.

Its not a dead horse because folks keep discussing it.

the question was/is out out there ...."Should golf have a dress code?"
All im doing is continuing discussing and debating with folks and adding to peoples posts. The very basis of a forum is indeed to talk to random people. Thats why we are here on the forum in the first place. Grownass random adults talking, discussing, debating, etc... and asking each other questions and questioning each others reasoning. If not for that then we have no forum.

What you mention is imo part of the problem. (paraphrasing here) ..."No one is going to tell us Grownass adults what to wear, we will make our own choice" and hence is what I think lies some the gist of what i been trying to get out. Sure you can make your own choice and if all courses had a minor dress code (like I think they should) of just a collared shirt and you dont want to do that then you dont have to play golf. So your correct you can do what you want. Not trying to mean by saying that. But just where I think part of the problem exists.

And oh yea....imo;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone is saying a course can't have a dress code policy. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter to me whether it does or does not. Even if you don't agree with me, surely you can understand where I'm coming from. No?

The question is: Should golf have a dress code? Some think it should... universally.... on all courses. What you might describe as a "soft" code would likely fall woefully short of what others believe is just right.

No one is saying a person is bad because they want to wear cargo shorts and a tee shirt.
There are some who, if made king of the golf world, would not allow this attire at any course.

The slippery slope is one reason why some don't feel it should be universal and why leaving it up to individual courses seems more logical.

In the end, most courses are purchased or built by those looking to make a profit. They may care less about integrity, respect for the game or whatever reasons you might feel a code is necessary, and instead make their decision based on which end of the dress code spectrum will generate the most profit. They might base that off of the community nearest the course as @BeCu_Ping suggested. If that community is rural, you'll likely see some wearing camo and denim. Again, absolutely not allowed at some courses, welcomed by others.

Maybe you're not saying the same dress code should be applied exactly the same to all courses. Instead, maybe you're suggesting all courses should simply have something in place... a minimal code. Is that correct?

Back