Should I stop Going To The Driving Range?

Shanked It

Reaction score
Handicap
1-100
I know practice is very important, but when I have really no idea what I'm doing wrong could it actually hurt my game in the long run? Should I stop going to the range until after I take a few lessons etc? Im really struggling right now.

You need to find out what is actually going on in your game before you can fix it...
It could be worst if you go to the range very often, but it might also be good for you... maybe it just clicks, and works it's self out.

I go about 2 times a week. I've only been golfing for about 2 months now after a long absence. Things have actually been getting worse.

If it's just getting worse, you should look into lessons... or have someone that know's golf mechanics well enough at the range with you. the more you swing wrong, the harder it will be to break the habits.

Lessons have really helped me. Then I know what you practice at the driving range.

Start over with fundamentals. I work on my fundamentals at every range session.

Video your swing and break it down section by section. Don't work on more than one thing at a time, you'll really screw yourself up.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Get you some lessons and then work on what coach sees as your weak link. Ask for drills that will help you correct a specific issue and then work only on that. Just banging balls with no goal to me is not getting the job done.

Agree with most of the others. If you can, take some lessons to get on the right path. It doesn't do you any good to practice the wrong things.

If you want to improve your game in the meantime, take that range time and go to the short game area if you have one available. just head to a course and go to the practice green. Work on putting, chipping, sand shots, etc. While good technique can be taught, short game is partly feel. You will be a step ahead if you work on the little things on the putting green. Distance control and hitting the ball where you aim are two easy ones to practice that will lower scores easily.

My iron game has been awful lately and I kept trying to swing through the problem myself before getting a lesson yesterday.. Lets just say I have plenty to work on for my next session

Tap tap taparoo

When I go to the driving range, I think one of the biggest temptations to resist is to hit the clubs and the shots I know I can hit well just to show off to myself or to anyone around that I can do that. I always try very hard to focus on my weakest points and work on them no matter how inept I may seem to myself or to others; it's hard to resist, but it's the only way I'll ever get better and fix the things that need fixing.

I need a purpose when I go to the range and giving myself something specific to work on helps me focus on the problems and keeps me from falling back into just hitting shots I know I can hit. There's nothing wrong with positive reinforcement and I do indeed hit the "good shots" there as well, but I generally do so to remind myself that I can hit good shots especially when I'm having problems with the the shots I can't hit as well rather than just spending my time hitting nothing but good shots.

The thing of course is to know what to work on or what thing needs fixing. I have obtained input from many sources over the years and though I've never taken a lesson, I've benefited from the advice of many people who can really play the game and who have a good eye for a good swing. So when I go to the range, I know what I want my swing to do and what I want my body to be doing and I try to "get it there".

If you have no one whom you can trust enough to give you good advice, then go take a lesson or a bunch of lessons and find out what needs fixing and then work on fixing it. The worst thing you can do is to keep "practicing" bad moves and bad technique.

Try video taping what you do on the range. With a suggestion from SW I video taped myself last week and it allowed me to see what I'm doing wrong. Now I just need to fix those flaws.

need a purpose when I go to the range and giving myself something specific to work on helps me focus on the problems and keeps me from falling back into just hitting shots I know I can hit. There's nothing wrong with positive reinforcement and I do indeed hit the "good shots" there as well, but I generally do so to remind myself that I can hit good shots especially when I'm having problems with the the shots I can't hit as well rather than just spending my time hitting nothing but good shots.

This was the best part about getting my first lesson. I now know what to work on. I have drills to work on and for the most part if I hit it fat or push it I know what is causing it and I can take a step back and try and concentrate on that 1 little part. I have a feeling my range sessions are going to last a lot longer now

This was the best part about getting my first lesson. I now know what to work on. I have drills to work on and for the most part if I hit it fat or push it I know what is causing it and I can take a step back and try and concentrate on that 1 little part. I have a feeling my range sessions are going to last a lot longer now

Agreed.

I do drills and I work with alignment aids and things like that and I'm very hard on myself when I lose focus or drift back into bad habits. But every now and then - especially if I find myself losing focus - I'll pull out a club or hit a shot I absolutely know I can hit well and I'll hit a few just to remind myself that I DO know what I'm doing and then I go back to what I was working on.

Let's face it, we're all human and even the most disciplined people can't resist the urge to show off a bit and I believe that it's even necessary to an extent. But there's a difference between showing off and ignoring what needs to be worked on and that's where the focus and the knowledge that there's work to be done comes in.

Agreed.

I do drills and I work with alignment aids and things like that and I'm very hard on myself when I lose focus or drift back into bad habits. But every now and then - especially if I find myself losing focus - I'll pull out a club or hit a shot I absolutely know I can hit well and I'll hit a few just to remind myself that I DO know what I'm doing and then I go back to what I was working on.

Let's face it, we're all human and even the most disciplined people can't resist the urge to show off a bit and I believe that it's even necessary to an extent. But there's a difference between showing off and ignoring what needs to be worked on and that's where the focus and the knowledge that there's work to be done comes in.

This is the truth. If I have hit a bunch of bad shots with my irons I just grab a hybrid or driver and pipe a couple down the range to remind myself I am not as bad as my iron play right now, but if I go and hit 80 with my hybrid and 10 with my irons, I am not helping to correct my biggest problem.

Practice makes permanent....whether done correctly or not.

I agree 100%. Get a qualified teaching pro and work on the correct things. Never makes sense to groove a bad swing.

I was having this same conversation the other day.

Years ago...
I used to hit the range 2-3 times a week and rocket through 100 balls. It would take me less than 30 minutes to go through a large bucket. But, I'd have stretches of 8-10 poorly hit balls. I assumed if I kept hitting I'd get better. Practice makes perfect right? Well, after a while I realized practicing the wrong technique doesn't make anything perfect.

I realized you have to understand technique and make the range work for you.

Now a days...
After a break from golf I've finally gotten back into the sport in a serious way. As I get older and more serious about golf I find myself being ever more critical of my game. One thing I've changed is how I approach the range.

Before, the range was just a place to hit balls. Now, I use the range to better parts of my game. I slow down my pace to where I'm not rocketing through 100 balls in 30 minutes. I force myself to slow down and focus on technique. Each outing for me has a reason. For instance this morning I went and worked almost solely on my 9i/P short game shots. 90% of the balls went under 150. I was aiming for this small hill every shot. Yesterday I was working on my balance/footing with the 3i.

The most important aspect in the change of my game is how I can criticize myself and learn from my mistakes. I know when I'm off balance, I know when I pick up my head or if my shoulders are too high. These things I think about and slowly focus on fixing. When I'm not rushing through shots I see these things, I see my mistakes. Before I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing wrong (as closely).

Ever since I've change my attitude toward the range I've taken 4-6 shots off my game. My friends who continue to hit the driver and woods at the range keep having the same problems on the course. After realizing, with my game, that the irons are about 80% and the driver/woods about 20%...I focus on the 80%. I still work on my driver/woods, but not as much since my 3i hits well over 200.

Never stop going even if you have lessons planned. I have learned quite a bit about what does and does not work for me by working specifically on one aspect of my game or club or swing. We are not all made the same so different things work for different people. Your instructor is your set of eyes that see's things in your swing that you cannot. He will get you going in the right direction but you have to fine tune everything on your own at the driving range. I thought my instructor would give me a list of things that I could work on but they give it to you piece mill. He will probably give you one or two things to work on in between sessions. Not the whole ball of wax at once. I have found different grips that work for me on my own and it has really improved my consistency. Good luck

Video your swing and break it down section by section. Don't work on more than one thing at a time, you'll really screw yourself up.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

+1 on this.... have some1 video you. It can be worth so much to you.....Good luck.It will come back to you

Go get some lessons, let the pro tell you what to work on and then head back. Bad practice will not help your game.

I go about 2 times a week. I've only been golfing for about 2 months now after a long absence. Things have actually been getting worse.

I used to go to the range almost as a habit. Now I only go once in awhile to work on something specific. Like today I wanted to work on starting the downswing with my lower body and focusing on shifting my weight through the ball, but its the 4th and the range is closed, though every course in town is open. Banging out balls with no effort on technique or control is a waste of time.

+1 for the lessons

Back