Should large people have to pay for 2 seats?

sposey013168

Reaction score
Handicap
The recline thread got me to thinking (thanks JB for getting on this tangent haha)

On an airplane should an extra large person have to pay for 2 seats. I say if you need a seat belt extender yes you should have to buy 2. All of my flights out of SGF are small regional jets and there is nothing like being smashed against the window because the guy beside you will not fit in his seat.

What say you THP?

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

My initial reaction says yes as I've sat next to lots of very overweight people that can barely squeeze into the seat. But then I think about myself and while I'm not fat, I am 6'5" with very broad shoulders, so should I pay extra too? I guess the bleeding heart liberal in me is torn.

My initial reaction says yes as I've sat next to lots of very overweight people that can barely squeeze into the seat. But then I think about myself and while I'm not fat, I am 6'5" with very broad shoulders, so should I pay extra too? I guess the bleeding heart liberal in me is torn.

Do you have to ask for a seat belt extender?

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

If you roll over the arm rest, yes.....I believe you only pay for so much real estate and it isn't the Real estate i pay'd for.

SWA, at least, has a process in place for this very instance.

Count me in the camp of believing they should pay for the space they're using. If they can confine themselves to one seat, then fine, if not, not fine.

Do you have to ask for a seat belt extender?

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
Not at all. It's not my waste that doesn't fit in the seats - I have plenty of room there. It's my shoulders.

In the PC world we now live in: Nope. Airlines are gonna have to come up with other options to accommodate.

Not at all. It's not my waste that doesn't fit in the seats - I have plenty of room there. It's my shoulders.

Your a big dude but not the guy I was talking about

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I feel your pain. I'm 6'2" with broad shoulders. No I don't need a seat-belt extender, but with wide shoulders I tend to hunch my shoulders in to not encroach on my neighbor. This is a tough one as people them become profiled. But then again I've been to amusement parks where on some roller coasters you have to sit in a seat & restraint out front before you even get in line. If the restraint doesn't lock, you don't ride. If you need a seat-belt extender, you buy 2 seats?

I spend a lot of time in the back of airplanes. The odd time I’ll get the pleasure of sitting beside an obese person. It’s uncomfortable as a fair amount of their body is on my seat. I even had the pleasure of having one woman’s sweat soak the side of my shirt for a few hours.
I’m all for having to purchase the extra seat. Problem is it’s hard to monitor.
Then there’s the discrimination aspect of forcing them to purchase another seat. I’m sure they’d cry foul.
I’d say the airlines should be forced to block them an extra seat but then you’d get people taking advantage of the system by claiming they’re obese when they’re not. All to have an empty seat beside them.
It’s really a no win situation for everyone.

I try to leave my waste in the lavatory. Ewww.... :eek::p

What is cheaper, purchasing two cheaper seats or one first class ticket?

@redneckwop - I think that little people should be banned from the exit rows! It drives me insane when I'm on a Southwest flight and I'm Business Select and I board a connecting flight where there is the petite person sitting in the exit row and I'm then crammed into the normal seats. The exit rows and/or bulk head is so important to me that I fly business select almost exclusively - even on personal flights. I recently booked a trip to Vegas and was more than willing to pay the $500 extra for business select knowing that I will more than likely get my preferred seat since both flights are not connecting flights.

In the PC world we now live in: Nope. Airlines are gonna have to come up with other options to accommodate.

Actually, SWA has a process in place now that encourages people to buy a 2nd seat if they need it. Seems it's voluntary now. All we need is that one more step to make it mandatory.

A person should pay for the amount of seats their ass takes up.

I agree, but I'll extend that feeling to ass, elbows, knees, and the rest of their body, too. o_O

I am a large American but I fit in a single seat....barely. No seatbelt extender needed. What I have an issue with is people taking over other people’s space when it isn’t necessary. They just sprawl out their legs!

I am conscious of my “footprint” and will make adjustments so that I don’t impede others space.

I don’t think you are wrong sposey but some people can’t help it and understand the no 2 tickets side too.

Off topic, but once I was sitting in the exit row and this big dude who had to be close to 7 ft and looked like a special forces type guy with not a bit of wasted space on him sat down in front of me and his head and a good bit of his shoulders were above the seat back. Lucky that the middle seat was open.

The scary part was the eye tattoed in the back of his bald head that watched me the whole flight. He could have reclined or layed down and I would not have said a word.

Someone clue me in here if I am wrong.. I am under the impression that airlines sell tickets for seats. Not for individual people. Is this not the case?

If they sell seats, and the person needs two seats due to their size, then they should pay for two seats.

Now, if it's a flight with empty seats, then this brings up another question. Why pay for two seats when the airline has empty seats they are not collecting money for in the first place? Airline greed?

Another question might be flights that are over booked. Airlines are notorious for over booking flights.

I am in the same boat, when you have people talking about a weight cut off to force to buy another seat. I am the same height as you but I am built like a rectangle at close to 300lbs. I try to be very conscious of my size when on a plane. Sometimes I have people that are a lot smaller take the precautions of setting their space so I don't crowd them. Works out well till I tell them I have claustrophobia and if I get to crowded I start to fidget uncontrollably. Plus I somehow always end up in a window seat so I am already cramped to begin with.

Who doesn't cringe when seated and see a heavy person coming down the isle. I do more praying that they don't sit down beside me then praying for a safe landing during a rough flight. It is also pretty annoying having a stinky person sit down next to you. I just blast the air gasper on myself and hope I don't puke due to the smell. :sick:

Who doesn't cringe when seated and see a heavy person coming down the isle. I do more praying that they don't sit down beside me then praying for a safe landing during a rough flight. It is also pretty annoying having a stinky person sit down next to you. I just blast the air gasper on myself and hope I don't puke due to the smell. :sick:

That's another responsibility of the flight attendant. They should be trying to make the flight as comfortable and welcoming as possible for all passengers. Having someone come onboard that smells like trash or shyt isn't very comfortable or welcoming.

@redneckwop - I think that little people should be banned from the exit rows! It drives me insane when I'm on a Southwest flight and I'm Business Select and I board a connecting flight where there is the petite person sitting in the exit row and I'm then crammed into the normal seats. The exit rows and/or bulk head is so important to me that I fly business select almost exclusively - even on personal flights. I recently booked a trip to Vegas and was more than willing to pay the $500 extra for business select knowing that I will more than likely get my preferred seat since both flights are not connecting flights.
And this is why I try to avoid SW or pay for early boarding. Under 5’10 should be banned or over be given priority. United I always pay extra for the exit rows.

Maybe airplanes should do like some auditoriums and have big butt and small butt seats

Back