Should large people have to pay for 2 seats?

Where do you draw the line... coming from broad shoulder normal sized butt guy... I am sure Im not the most fun to squeeze next to, but two seats worthy absolutely not.

I think the OP draws the line though, if you need a seatbelt extender you pay for 2 seats.

Where do you draw the line... coming from broad shoulder normal sized butt guy... I am sure Im not the most fun to squeeze next to, but two seats worthy absolutely not.
I say just fight for the seat and winner stays. :LOL:

JK!!

Yes, but conversly, I should be able to buy two seats regardless. On a recent trip, I wanted to pay for 3 seats for two of us, so we could have the whole row to ourselves. Nope.

Last edited:
The recline thread got me to thinking (thanks JB for getting on this tangent haha)

On an airplane should an extra large person have to pay for 2 seats. I say if you need a seat belt extender yes you should have to buy 2. All of my flights out of SGF are small regional jets and there is nothing like being smashed against the window because the guy beside you will not fit in his seat.

What say you THP?

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Yes, they should. Seats are so narrow with little leg room that they should pay for 2 tix or airlines should have a limited extra large section with 2 seats instead of three or airlines should make a convertible section that allows for two instead of 3.

Yes, they should. Seats are so narrow with little leg room that they should pay for 2 tix or airlines should have a limited extra large section with 2 seats instead of three or airlines should make a convertible section that allows for two instead of 3.
AKA first class...

Yes, but conversly, I should be able to buy two seats regardless. On a recent trip, I wanted to pay for 3 seats for two of us, so we could have the whole row to ourselves. Nope.

SWA will let you do that.

Should I feel bad for laughing as I read through this thread? If you are a chubby chaser maybe the airport is a better place to go rather than a bar.

The larger seat for more money is already available so that's a moot point. As far as just reserving larger seats for larger people, that's blatant discrimination.
If that's the case I say it's up to consumers to purchase larger seats if they don't want to risk sitting next to someone larger or airlines to expand all seats and deal with the revenue loss. If someone is so large they can't safely fit in a seat it may be another issue but I think that is extremely rare.

If someone is so large they can't safely fit in a seat it may be another issue but I think that is extremely rare.

If "safely" is your key word, I'll agree with extremely rare. If "fit" is your key word, I'll go with rare, but drop the extremely.

If "safely" is your key word, I'll agree with extremely rare. If "fit" is your key word, I'll go with rare, but drop the extremely.
I think safely is key, flying is miserable and airlines don't prioritize comfort so it's just something we have to deal with. The only realistic solution I could see is government regulation to widen seats which really is not necessary as long as this remains a comfort issue and not a safety issue.

I think safely is key, flying is miserable and airlines don't prioritize comfort so it's just something we have to deal with. The only realistic solution I could see is government regulation to widen seats which really is not necessary as long as this remains a comfort issue and not a safety issue.

It's not a safety issue, but why should a person be able to take up their seat and 1/2 of the seats on either side of them while paying (presumably) the same amount as the people their stealing 1/2 a seat from?

I’ve never flown so I don’t know how I’d fit in an airline seat. But if I ever do and I get seated next to some of you guys my fat ass is gonna do my best to overflow the seat ?

I seem to be in the minority, but I honestly do not care at this point. My goal on an airplane is for it to go up and down without notable incident in as little time as possible. Sure. no one likes to be crowed by another person in their seat. but at the end of the day, I am still quite privileged to be flying to begin with, as opposed to being stuck in a Greyhound for a scenic 3 day journey from Miami to Chicago. I would prefer being uncomfortable for 3 hours.

Now if I was @mmaynard11, I am sure I would feel different. I wouldn't be surprised if he is on a plane right no, frankly.

I seem to be in the minority, but I honestly do not care at this point. My goal on an airplane is for it to go up and down without notable incident in as little time as possible. Sure. no one likes to be crowed by another person in their seat. but at the end of the day, I am still quite privileged to be flying to begin with, as opposed to being stuck in a Greyhound for a scenic 3 day journey from Miami to Chicago. I would prefer being uncomfortable for 3 hours.

Now if I was @mmaynard11, I am sure I would feel different. I wouldn't be surprised if he is on a plane right no, frankly.
Nope sharing the pillow arm rest with this girl!!!
image.jpg

@redneckwop - I think that little people should be banned from the exit rows! It drives me insane when I'm on a Southwest flight and I'm Business Select and I board a connecting flight where there is the petite person sitting in the exit row and I'm then crammed into the normal seats. The exit rows and/or bulk head is so important to me that I fly business select almost exclusively - even on personal flights. I recently booked a trip to Vegas and was more than willing to pay the $500 extra for business select knowing that I will more than likely get my preferred seat since both flights are not connecting flights.
......and you know that there is no way in hell that person is capable of lifting the exit door in case of an emergency.... This same person is the one that needs to set on the seat to put their carry on bag in the overhead..... that is if they can actually lift it over their head...... :banghead:

Unless it's my wife is next to me, the armrest always stays down, it's non-negotiable.
Non-negotiable.... most times even if my wife is sitting next to me :rolleyes: Not sure why she is so insistent..... ;)

Now this one made me laugh & a topic I think about every single time I fly. I mean should I have to keep the arm rest up because "you" are uncomfortable & need a little extra space? I don't think I should have your thighs and arms resting on mine...

So yes. I'm not trying to be rude, but I think we all have to be respectful of the space of people around us.
...what? Who in their right mind would ever want to do this with a stranger? Unless they are hitting on you. which in that case, you need to get better at reading signals :LOL:

It's not a safety issue, but why should a person be able to take up their seat and 1/2 of the seats on either side of them while paying (presumably) the same amount as the people their stealing 1/2 a seat from?
I would say it's discriminatory to larger people including those who may be in excellent shape but have a large frame. Your beef is with the airlines who I agree should put in larger seats. That obviously affects their bottom line and the cost will be passed on to the consumer. If free market capitalism actually worked an airline would enlarge sheets and absorb the cost themselves and make up for it by taking market share at lower margins. The only tangible solution is a highly regulated industry where airlines are forced to enlarge seats without passing on the cost. That is not happening in the US either. That leaves us with deal with, pay for a larger seat, or don't fly.

Non-negotiable.... most times even if my wife is sitting next to me :rolleyes: Not sure why she is so insistent..... ;)

LMFAO!

Must be your soft and fuzzy personality :LOL:

I think airlines should be required to have a certain number of larger seats reserved for larger customers. When I was playing rugby I was 270 pounds at times and extremely fit but too broad for a normal seat to be comfortable. There are many people larger than I was who are very big from lifting or natural frame and it wouldn't be fair to ask them to pay for two seats.

Even for people who are just overweight I don't think that is fair to ask them to pay double. Maybe a small fee for larger seats to help airlines recover some of the cost.
That is a reasonable solution. Doubt the airlines will accommodate it though.

What I find ironic about this thread is the lack of relationship to other situations of buying a seat. A bus seat, A train seat, A concert seat, A movie seat. As far as I am aware in no other venue is this topic a discussion. And my opinion is that this topic is a classic case for a class action suit my some lawyers. The lawyer guilds are always looking for their next class action. We could call it the U2Big class action lawsuit. It's a delicate situation. But candidly if I review the 1000 flights or so I have been on....The rudest passengers I have sat next to are the ones who feel the arm rest is theirs. The ones that recline before and after the announcements are made.

Should I feel bad for laughing as I read through this thread? If you are a chubby chaser maybe the airport is a better place to go rather than a bar.
Southwest Air from any airport I’ve flown out of to Las Vegas - there are always 10+ pre boarders - most of them MASSIVE. They need a wheel Chair to get onto the plane and extra time to board so they get to board first. But thank heavens, Our Lady of the One Arm Bandit cures their mobility issues when the plane lands and they cannot get off fast enough.

Back