Should the US Opens be at a private or a public course?

orchard53

Reaction score
It seems there are plenty of courses that can host an Open. My vote is for public course - if golf is trying to be more inclusive, why would you have the open at a club that is so expensive that only a select few can afford to join (i.e. Olympic is 100k+ to join, then about 20K/year).

I think the appeal of a course anyone can play evenif expensive ould be a better choice.

You?

the thing is though, even the public courses that the pga or the us open do visit, aren’t truly public. They are bucket list courses that most will never go play due to cost.

so for me, I don’t really care if it’s private or public. I still won’t be visiting anytime soon haha. Only course I have been able to play that host a major was the ocean course and that because I live here and can get on for dumb cheap.

Don't care, as long as it's toughest test of golf they face all year.

I don't care where they go. I just want to see a fair test of golf.

Doesn’t matter to me where the event is. As long as they travel all around the country over the years. I wish I had more PGA event in my area. Driving to NY is not what I would say is my area.

funny @fuffle master - besides the odd US Open, not many PGA events in NY. Was just thinking I wish there was more PGA events to see in NY. would even settle for LPGA or Korn Ferry - but those too are missing from NY.

I dont think it matters where the USO is played. I think what matters is how the course can be set up to test the various players skill levels.

The set up needs to be a very tough challenge, while still being playable. I want the players to whine, piss, and moan about the set up. I want the winning score to be near the 72 hole par number. It's the USO.

It's relatively well known that courses get pretty wrecked after the USGA comes through. It can take weeks of cleanup/fixing before the course is back in the best of shapes. While yes, they're getting paid absurds amount of money to host said event, depending on the course wear and tear that took place. I'm not sure how long Torrey or Pinehurst, or Bethpage stays a bit beat up post event.

A private course, little less issue since the members are still paying for it no matter what, and the budget is significantly different when it comes to cleanup/course repairs. A Shinnecock Hills can get back to working order in a few weeks.

i like the idea of all the majors being played at public courses. i think it would make people a little more connected with the pga if they could actually play the same courses as the pros.

I think it’s wonderfully ironic for the USGA to have its “Open” at a private course. It suits them well.

And, in the last 40-50 years, I’m guessing that the USOpens have been held in less than 15 states and the vast majority in 4 or 5.

They can keep them at private courses. To me they ruin public courses after they come thru. Come play our course. We held the USO. Oh by the way, it’ll cost you double or Triple now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very few places are set up to handle the onslaught of which a US Open brings.....It is a massive undertaking to hold. The facility will be abused by the golfers. Massive divots in the places where you should hit your ball. Closed for prep. Where to park 20,000 cars. Press out the wasoooo.....And the course has to be a very challenging course....The US Open is played at a far broader course collective than the British Open. The British has a hand full of places which rotate the event. If one looks at where the pockets of great golf areas are...that is where the US Open goes..... Recently they have gone to other places which have great courses and are available for the onslaught that will come. Do you want your course closed for a month...prepared to challenge the very best by growing the rough and cutting the greens to near death levels...and then when they leave the destruction that will occur to the area and the course....Not many places are prepared for that. Those that are engage and put forth their application....

the thing is though, even the public courses that the pga or the us open do visit, aren’t truly public. They are bucket list courses that most will never go play due to cost.

so for me, I don’t really care if it’s private or public. I still won’t be visiting anytime soon haha. Only course I have been able to play that host a major was the ocean course and that because I live here and can get on for dumb cheap.

That’s well said.

Pebble is “public.” For $500 a round, after an $800 hotel stay.

And, in the last 40-50 years, I’m guessing that the USOpens have been held in less than 15 states and the vast majority in 4 or 5.

Good guess. Since 1980 (per Wikipedia):

CA: 10
NY: 10
CA: 10
PA: 6
NC: 3
MD: 2
IL: 2
MI: 2
NJ: 2
WI: 1
WA: 1
OK: 1
MN: 1
MA: 1

I say leave them at private courses. With my luck, they would play my public course and I would have to go elsewhere, even for just a week. Honestly, I don't care where they play, but a pretty course is better for the viewing public, public or private.

It should be on the best courses. Doesn’t bother me whether those are private or public.

That’s well said.

Pebble is “public.” For $500 a round, after an $800 hotel stay.

Exactly! So is Kiawah, Pinehurst #2, Whistling Straights, Bethpage Black, Erin Hills, Torrey Pines and others that have hosted US Opens. That doesn't mean I can play them! Played Spyglass Hill in the late 90's, and it was already $190 a round on a weekday!

Exactly! So is Kiawah, Pinehurst #2, Whistling Straights, Bethpage Black, Erin Hills, Torrey Pines and others that have hosted US Opens. That doesn't mean I can play them! Played Spyglass Hill in the late 90's, and it was already $190 a round on a weekday!

When I was in high school on Long Island, Bethpage was the local municipal course. No reservations. To play on the weekend, you would have to line up at about 4am to reserve a spot. But in the summers, on weekdays, it was pretty easy to get on to one of the five courses. It was especially easy to get onto the Black, since the course was so intimidating and ill-maintained that most golfers wanted nothing to do with it. So that's where I mostly played. Greens fees were $4.50.

I just checked the website, and its now a premium course, which figures since they have returned it to championship form. Greens fees for New Yorkers on weekends are $65. And $130 for out of state golfers. The Blue course, which was generally considered a nicer, more fun course when I was a kid, is even cheaper.

Given that the event is televised entertainment, whatever course produces the most entertainment value on television is the right course. Of course TV being TV they can turn being at a "public" course into some sort of big flippin' deal then turn around the next year and make being at an "exclusive" private club another big flippin' deal.

Doesn’t really matter to me, as long as it’s a good course that makes the tournament interesting.

When I was in high school on Long Island, Bethpage was the local municipal course. No reservations. To play on the weekend, you would have to line up at about 4am to reserve a spot. But in the summers, on weekdays, it was pretty easy to get on to one of the five courses. It was especially easy to get onto the Black, since the course was so intimidating and ill-maintained that most golfers wanted nothing to do with it. So that's where I mostly played. Greens fees were $4.50.

I just checked the website, and its now a premium course, which figures since they have returned it to championship form. Greens fees for New Yorkers on weekends are $65. And $130 for out of state golfers. The Blue course, which was generally considered a nicer, more fun course when I was a kid, is even cheaper.

I did the 4am to play the Black Course back in the day and it wasn’t expensive.

And as a state resident, I don’t mind the greens fees now.

Back