Should there be more holes like this on tour?

It basically makes the first two shots matter less, so I’m not sold

It basically makes the first two shots matter less, so I’m not sold
how do you figure that? Two real long shots and one goes astray or whatever other type of poor result and right away your behind. How do they matter less? In fact id suggest it matters more to make the first two as good as possible. Do that better than the next guy and your much closer and or in better place for the 3rd shot approach.

More flat, straight, ridiculously long golf holes? From my perspective: no thanks. If I wanted to watch guys try to hit it a mile I’d turn on a long drive competition.

Gimme more holes like 12 at Augusta. Make the player hit a shot. Or two. Danger all around. Choose your club wisely. Way more fun (for me) than Driver Driver 3w Putter.

That hole puts me to sleep. Give me width with options and strategy over that any day.

With the 10% reduction for elevation, it really isn’t that long. Driver hybrid and a wedge.

One of our local courses has a long, straight par 5 that's 582 from the whites, 623 from the tips. To me, it's the pimple on the a** of what is otherwise a fun, beautiful course.

Long for sale of length is not a way to win viewers...I have gone driver 3w hybrid putter on a 625+ hole before. Distance is hurtful.

I kinda like it. It’s a true three shot par 5, and it’s long enough that missing the fairway or hitting it short might actually hurt you (unlike most three shooters where the tour players have a wedge into the green pretty much regardless of what happens off the tee).

Another huge issue is challenging the lay up are that gets narrow. Most players don't I imagine since challenging the tighter lay up area doesn't give you a better angle to the green and is actually a worse angle on back right pins.

how do you figure that? Two real long shots and one goes astray or whatever other type of poor result and right away your behind. How do they matter less? In fact id suggest it matters more to make the first two as good as possible. Do that better than the next guy and your much closer and or in better place for the 3rd shot approach.
If you mess up your drive, you can still get to a number to approach On your third. One of those two first shots can be not great and still be just fine for your birdie approach. 700+ holes are silly in my eyes. No chance at eagle and just long for the sake of long.

Just NO. There is no reason to make the holes longer its ridiculous.

Sure. While we're at it, let's have some 320 yard par 3s and 550 yard par 4s.

I am going with a "No".

All these longer holes would do would be to create more separation between the longer, and shorter hitters on tour. This would cause a negative effect on the tour's over all competitive value.

A bit of a gimmick. BUT - on a day with less wind, it wouldn’t be any trouble for these guys. They can easily cover 600+ yards with 2 shots and many can do that with just carry. Add some roll and they’ll be hitting wedges in.
A now closed course in MB had a ridiculously long par 5 that always seemed to play into the wind. For me it was driver, driver, 3W, 5I and I was still short. And this was a place with fairways like runways.

I'm agreeing with some of the others that the hole distance is affected by altitude, probably runs west to east with the prevailing winds and gives this relatively unknown event something others don't have. Counter that with the length favoring the long hitters, but I can see it might be fun to watch.

Personally I am not a fan, but then I don't hit the ball that far anyway, so it would just be a long slog for me to play holes like that

The course I play my weekly league at has their signature 9th hole that is a dogleg left 777 yard par 6 from the tips. We play it from 600-640 depending on where they put the tee markers.

Yes, but include lots of water along the way or ravines. They shouldn't just have a straight shot without having to think about several club choices along the way.

Not really a fan of holes or courses getting longer.

No thanks. I prefer shot making

I'd rather see more risk-reward drivable Par 4s than any 700 + yard hole.

Back