Should there be more holes like this on tour?

Sure. While we're at it, let's have some 320 yard par 3s and 550 yard par 4s.

Not a fair comparison. Even a 770 yard hole (and this hole probably plays more like 700 at altitude), the tour players could still hit short irons into the green.

I’ll hit my tee shot and maybe my 2nd, then offer to take a double and go to the next hole!

I love how the average response is, "meh, that would be too easy for them." lol

I love how the average response is, "meh, that would be too easy for them." lol

Well the field averaged 0.072 over par last year. Extremely high compared to other par 5s, but still far easier than most long par 3s or par 4s.

Is it interesting? In a way, but not like a risk-reward par 5. But, everyone plays the same hole.

If you like fields of all bombers getting an advantage, then this is your kind of hole. That's the part I don't like.

DJ winning on a relatively short course last week tells me its not all about distance. (y)

Is it interesting? In a way, but not like a risk-reward par 5. But, everyone plays the same hole.

If you like fields of all bombers getting an advantage, then this is your kind of hole. That's the part I don't like.

DJ winning on a relatively short course last week tells me its not all about distance. (y)
...and Bryson not winning on both short and long courses tells me it's not all about distance. :LOL:

A bit of a gimmick. BUT - on a day with less wind, it wouldn’t be any trouble for these guys. They can easily cover 600+ yards with 2 shots and many can do that with just carry. Add some roll and they’ll be hitting wedges in.
A now closed course in MB had a ridiculously long par 5 that always seemed to play into the wind. For me it was driver, driver, 3W, 5I and I was still short. And this was a place with fairways like runways.

It probably played into the wind much of the time because the course was designed that way. The designer figured out, or knew, where the prevailing Summer wind came from. There's a course near me that we play several times a year. ! goes out due West, and 2 comes back alongside it due East. 3 is a par 3 that plays Southwest, which is our prevailing Summer wind! It always plays longer than its yardage. Have also noticed several dogleg par 4's and 5''s, where the part of the hole after the dogleg turns the same way.

I'd rather see more risk-reward drivable Par 4s than any 700 + yard hole.

YES! YES! YES! You are correct sir! Look at how many great ones are on the Tour already. And they are hardly birdie fests. They present a risk/reward situation to a player and make them come to a decision. Even the guys who lay up are guaranteed nothing!

I was thinking yes at first but some good points against it so now I’m a no.

Back