Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question, there shouldn't be one IMO. Give the slots to the guys who have actually earned them this year, not the popularity contest winners or the Captain's buddies. Not saying I'm right, again just my opinion.

I get it though, golf is boring to the majority without TW, but he will only be around for who knows how much longer and eventually golf is going to have to attempt to succeed without him.

I do think that argument is stronger now that you only accumulate points for 1 year instead of 2. When it was 2 it was too easy for someone who was easily one of the best 12 to sit home due to a recent emergence or injury from over a year ago. Now, that is less likely. That said, golf is such a game of momentum and form that I like the captain being able to add someone who doesn't earn the points, but hits their stride at the right time. That could be Tiger this time or it could be someone else.

As a European, a poor playing Tiger would be fine with me if it meant points for us, but for the sport as a whole, I think a lot of people who don't follow as closely still expect to see the big name players such as him in the team

Personally, if it was my choice, at this point in time I wouldn't pick him based on his ranking and form, but if he managed to improve and show a high level of competitiveness and consistency then maybe I would pick him nearer the time. If it came down to a poor playing Tiger and a young up and coming golfer who was having a good season then I would lean towards the younger golfer

I have seen it in a few sports where the supposed big name players think it is their right to be in a particular team based on past performances, and sometimes it comes down to whether or not the management team have the nerve to drop these players to give the next generation, who want to play, the chance to prove themselves

I like Tiger, but I don't see how anyone can argue that he deserves a captains pick just based on who he is rather than selecting the guys who are 10, 11, & 12. Its like "hey you've earned it, but we're gonna give it to this guy who is 72nd instead". TW or not, the rankings are there for a reason, and he's not even close. Popularity should never trump stats, just my opinion.

Firstly,while popularity may play a roll its certainly not the only reason why one would pick Tiger or such a player.

Rankings may be there for a reason but so are captain's picks just the same and they too are important. and may even be more important.

Remember that a ranking in any sport can also be of the "flash in the pan" type. They are not simply always the best choice either just because they are currently doing well or on a hot streak. Often times that could end up poorly.

The captain's picks may prove to be more beneficial than vs if all was a rank pick for the above reason.

In any sport, a proven resume with a specicfic player can indeed stand in very high regard vs one who is currently ranking much better. That resume is not ever something to be tossed aside or taken lightly at all because others are currently doing better and when nothing is for certain anyway. Especially when that resume is fom arguably the best player in the history of that sport and (baring health/ injury) is still competing and still available and whom of which one cant say for 100% certainty will not perform well. Any coah, manager, captain, whoever is responsible can not simply ignore this of such a player. He would be a fool to have such a player at his disposal and ignore it.

Yup, he should now

No he is not worthy. Send him a message to take care and play up o prove his time has not passed due to bashing his body without changing his technique

I've given it some time and the answer is a definite nope!

At this point in his game, NO. At first I thought 100% yes but after seeing him play over the past few weeks I don't think he would do anyone any good

What are the odds that if he is not playing that he will be an assistant captain?

What are the odds that if he is not playing that he will be an assistant captain?

I don't see that happening really, I could be wrong, but Tiger doesn't really stike me as the take one for the team kind of guy

I don't think he should. To many other guys right now. And he's hurt.

I don't see that happening really, I could be wrong, but Tiger doesn't really stike me as the take one for the team kind of guy

I'm not saying he should forfeit the spot to be an AssCap. Just wondering if he was not taken by Watson, if he would consider being one. I mean if the RC means so much to him and he likes being part of those teams, why not?

After this weekend, Watson has an out. He can just say that he can't take the chance that Tiger's back may go out if he has to play a shot from a weird stance. Tiger is prone to injury when he is not playing well.

After this weekend, Watson has an out. He can just say that he can't take the chance that Tiger's back may go out if he has to play a shot from a weird stance.

Exactly. In a Ryder Cup, you need all your players healthy. Watson cannot have any real confidence, given Tiger's history this year, that he will not hurt himself again or have a flare up of the back. And that's putting aside his poor Ryder Cup history and the fact that he's playing like krap and has been for some time.

P.S. Go Hoos!

I don't think he should even if he got picked. I'd say take ample time, get healthy, then give it a go. I'd rather see him play good golf for the next several years than play outstanding golf for two. Nobody has done what he's done for the sport. He's got nothing to loose. IMO.

Easy one.. No.. he has done nothing to earn it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back