Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends on the make up of the team. If there is enough veteran leadership already I would pick someone who could add a spark and help the USA in the future.

If the team is already young, I would bring him in and help lead

I would say no...at this point he doesn't look like he is ready

If he does get selected I would relate it to the baseball all-star game. Guys get voted in all the time that aren't the best at their position anymore, just because of their name and who they once were.

I was thinking very similarly. But the allstar game is arguably just a show while this is much more a true compettiton. Not that the players in an allstar game are not trying to showcase thier tallent but just that it holds a different meaning. The allstar game is just not of the same value or even close to wining a championship or even a pennant or even making the playoffs. The cup fits in more with those catagories as far as significance imo. So the decisions for who should play should be just as significantly important imo.

However, it still doesnt mean they will bypass him the honor even knowing its not wrong if they do. But the whole thing is also like a gamble and just like baseball where you have a player who is the greatest and yet has been struggling. What do you do? You have one the best hitters or the best pitchers of all time on your bench and available in a huge situaion but has not played well recently. What do you do? Its a situation where your damned if you do and damned if you dont all depending on the end result. If the end result is good your a hero for your decision but if its bad your damned for it no matter which way you decided it.

What do you do? Many talk in such ways as to "go for it" in competitions of any kind. Dont play "not to lose" but instead "play to win". That often can mean taking chances. Playing some risk. Gambling a little in the right spots at the right times. If tiger wakes up we all know what he can do. But there is that big "IF" word and hence the gamble. I dont think either decision is so wrong. My personal decision would be to play him unless he himself says (due to the back) that hes just not up to par. lol

Nope! You should pick the players for the Ryder Cup who are playing the best, not the biggest names. IMO, neither Tiger nor Phil should be on the Ryder Cup team.
The excue of, "he's Tiger Woods" doesnt work for me.

Do you honestly think the PGA will dictate to Tom Watson who he should pick? A win is worth more to the PGA Tour than face time with Tiger losing for 3 days.

Is it though? After the US Open, I am sure the broadcast partners are on the PGA tour about viewers. I am pretty sure a Ryder Cup loss with Tiger is worth more to the PGA Tour via sponsors and television viewers than a US win without him.

Tiger brings ratings and ratings are what keeps the game profitable for the PGA.

Want to wait and see how he plays in the Bridgestone and PGA.

He probably deserves massive amounts of leeway here because of his name. But if he can't keep it together in either tournament (especially on one course he dominates) then you start to wonder.

I can't make a decision right now. If he plays well at the Bridgestone and PGA then yes, I'd put him on.

He does put butts in seats. But I feel another lopsided Ryder Cup does more damage then a TW on the team does good. Let's say the US wins this Ryder Cup in dramatic fashion on Sunday and he is not on the team. I mean its close for all three days and Harris English is coming down the stretch to win. I think this does more for ratings, golf in the US, golf world wide then a TW that may or may not show up. Just my thinking on it. This is the first time I have thought the US would be better off without the guy on the squad.
Is it though? After the US Open, I am sure the broadcast partners are on the PGA tour about viewers. I am pretty sure a Ryder Cup loss with Tiger is worth more to the PGA Tour via sponsors and television viewers than a US win without him.

Tiger brings ratings and ratings are what keeps the game profitable for the PGA.

He does put butts in seats. But I feel another lopsided Ryder Cup does more damage then a TW on the team does good. Let's say the US wins this Ryder Cup in dramatic fashion on Sunday and he is not on the team. I mean its close for all three days and Harris English is coming down the stretch to win. I think this does more for ratings, golf in the US, golf world wide then a TW that may or may not show up. Just my thinking on it. This is the first time I have thought the US would be better off without the guy on the squad.

sorry man i think Tiger being there win or lose will be bigger ratings than Harris English coming down the stretch with the cup on the line

That is my thought so to. I imagine the ratings before the Quicken Loans was pretty low compare to that weekend when Tiger was playing. It's 2014 now and if your not in the buisness to make money, your not going to last long. If Tiger will boost ratings which he does, I imagine there will be a push to have him there.

Not sure I agree with the bolded at all. The ratings for the Masters and US Open clearly show that those events without Tiger just don't bring in the ratings they would if Tiger had been playing. Whether that's right or wrong is another matter. As much as it sucks, ratings will always be more beneficial to the PGA Tour and television networks hosting the events than anything else.

sorry man i think Tiger being there win or lose will be bigger ratings than Harris English coming down the stretch with the cup on the line
I can see that side of it too, but based on his play I don't see how he helps USA get the win.

Harris English who is that?? I bet if you went to a golf course and asked golfers who he is majority of people wouldn't know him. I have no idea how Harris English would make ratings more, unless he went Happy Gilmore style and starting beating some people up out there. If you don't have the big names you won't pull in the people that might watch it.

Pne objective of the PGA is to grow the game. A win does more to grow the game then a lose with Tiger on the team. If the US loses again, it won't help a thing. In fact, if the US is getting battered after Friday's round, the ratings will drop. No one wants to watch the US lose.
Not sure I agree with the bolded at all. The ratings for the Masters and US Open clearly show that those events without Tiger just don't bring in the ratings they would if Tiger had been playing. Whether that's right or wrong is another matter. As much as it sucks, ratings will always be more beneficial to the PGA Tour and television networks hosting the events than anything else.

Who do pick instead? The problem is the US is so bad right now there really isn't any better choices.

Brendon Todd?

Chris Kirk?

Harris English?

No thanks. Mickelson and Woods will be the two captains picks if things dont change severely.

Exactly and my thoughts as well. Yea, let's put Harris English in there over Tiger Woods. Lets see the reaction to that decision. As a captain, give me Woods and I hope and pray it clicks for him come that weekend.

That's funny, the Open broadcast talked about the next generation of golfers. Harris is bright star on the rise on tour. He was an example and a piece that could help the US team.

I put TW against the top 15 in line for the US side and he comes out on the loosing end against almost all of them. These guys feed off confidence and he has very little. Even when he was off his game pre-2008 he had so much confidence that he would will himself to win. That is gone and the guys he plays against know it.
Harris English who is that?? I bet if you went to a golf course and asked golfers who he is majority of people wouldn't know him. I have no idea how Harris English would make ratings more, unless he went Happy Gilmore style and starting beating some people up out there. If you don't have the big names you won't pull in the people that might watch it.

Last edited:
Hell freaking no, not unless he starts playing a lot better. Greatest ever or not, he's not playing well right now.

I think if he gets it going by the PGA Champ he should but if not then no

What happened to the best golfers "right now" representing the country. I'm sorry but that is ridiculous for those playing better than him to get passed over for the hope that he'll play better than he is at the moment. When his game comes back and he deserves to play so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pne objective of the PGA is to grow the game. A win does more to grow the game then a lose with Tiger on the team. If the US loses again, it won't help a thing. In fact, if the US is getting battered after Friday's round, the ratings will drop. No one wants to watch the US lose.

While I agree with what you said about the objective of the PGA, you can't grow the game if you don't have the advertising dollars for the future.

Tiger, whether winning or losing, seems to always bring solid ratings.

Thats great to know Freddie but you just have to look at it as a non golfer. Somebody changing the channel on sunday and see's Tiger playing, there going to stop and probably watch him play. They see Harris English playing, they will see just another golfer and change the channel. Unless you watch golf every sunday or watch the Golf Channel you probably won't know much about him.
That's funny, the Open broadcast talked about the next generation of golfers. Harris is bright star on the rise on tour. He was an example and a piece that could help the US team.

I put TW against the top 15 in line for the US side and he comes out on the loosing end against almost all of them. These guys feed off confidence and he has very little. Even when he was off his game pre-2008 he had so much confidence that he would will himself to win. That is gone and the guys he plays against know it.

Don't get it twisted, I want to see a healthy playing TW on the team. But I really want to see a hard fought US win. I want to hear the cheers on TV and see the US prevail. I don't see him playing well enough to add to that. I see a team that would be disheartened if he is picked over a guy closer to the top 12. I see him getting picked doing more damage then good. Of course no one will ever speak up but I think it would kill the moral of the team of a wounded swing TW is put on the team.

If he would have played better in these last couple showings, yes. But with the way he has played this year, no. Let him sit it out and give the captain's pick to someone else.

As others have said, I want to see a US WIN ...so right now? No way. He's not our best chance and I don't believe Watson will waste a choice pick on him. I would hope TW would understand that decision.

Fact is the US is probably going to lose this year. The USA players compared to the Europeans are playing another game right now. Harris English isn't going to be the cure for this one I'm afraid. So give me the big guns, if I'm playing captain, and lets try to keep it close come Sunday for a shot. As captain, I don't care about TV ratings and growing the game this weekend, I care about winning. But the deck is already stacked again Mr. Watson no matter who he picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back