Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
The morning drive crew debated this today. They think he will be on the team but they asked, should he?

Do think TW should be on the 2014 squad and why or why not?

Cons:
He is 70th in points
Has played horrible this year
Has a balky putter
Can't hit driver to save life

Pros:
He's tiger woods
He brings leadership
Can wake up anytime
Arguably greatest of all time
He's tiger woods

Yes. He's Tiger Woods.

none of the pros can help on the course, but since I am cheering for the europeans, I hope he gets picked

My gut reaction is no. But I would need to see the list of legit candidates to see how he stacks up against them as it relates to points, etc.

No way in hell he should jump a top 25 player sitting in 70th.....for example.

Yes, your pros list is good enough for me for him to be on the team.

Right now, nope. His game is no where near ready.

I don't care too much about stats and rankings, because he just hasn't played. If he's ready, then add him without a second thought.

But I haven't seen anything from his last two appearance suggesting that he's ready to compete in the Ryder Cup.

If he is currently incapable of beating anyone on the US team, then heck no. Select one of the up and coming young guys who are playing better. Ironically most of these young guys started playing because of Tiger.

I say yes.

I don't see how you can leave him off the team. Yes he hasn't played well of late, but he was out for 3+ months. He is STILL Tiger Woods after all and can at anytime wake up from his "golf slumber" and crush the competition. He is a strong competitor when it comes to Ryder Cup and I think could be a strong team mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now I say "no". If he can put his game back in form and be competitive then perhaps he should make the team.

Be the ball!!

I would reserve judgement until after Firestone, PGA & The Barclays BUT i would also like to see if he play in the "smaller" event to sharpen his game & earn more points.

I say no. The days of Tiger intimidation factor are over. He's not 100% currently, and nobody is certain he'll get back to 100%. Ticket sales aren't a problem with the Ryder Cup, the event itself stands on it's own reputation. I say leave him off and make him earn it. If it means so much for him to play in this event he will do what's necessary to get back on the team. Hell after this weekend Tom Watson should be a playing captain. Kidding of course.

you forgot another con...he has been far from "Tiger Woods" in previous Ryder Cups, or really any match play events since he's gone pro. He's got a losing record. That, plus his 70th ranking, and just coming back from surgery, makes me feel it should be a resounding no. If he had a history of being clutch in previous Ryder cups, I might be able to overlook everything else.

No, playing maybe 7 tournaments before with no good results I wouldn't pick him. But if he plays great the rest of the year then sure.

It's Tiger Freaking Woods, yes I do believe he should be on there. He has tons of knowledge and is starting to get his game back now. I think he will be helpful to the team and represent USA proudly.

Hum, imho, if ever he's not in the team, he will announce it himself. Hard to imagine Tom Watson saying he doesn't pick Tiger. Next tournaments will be crucial in that perspective, especially Bridgestone and USPGA. After those two, we'll know.

That being said, USA Team needs more Ricky (glad he secured his seat) Keegan, Duff or even Sneds than Tiger or Phil. If they fly to Europe with their usual same mindset and behavior, they'll get trahsed. Rose, Rory, G-Mac, Das Machine, Stenson and friends are waiting for them... :) From a European point of view, Zach Johnson and Jim Furyk are a waaaaay more problematic thant Tiger.

Go Europe !!
:bulgy-eyes::act-up:

have you seen the European list as of right now? there's a few at the bottom of their list that don't exactly strike fear into my heart.

I do not claim otherwise, but Jimmy Walker is not my cup of tea. If Tiger gets some more rounds in, I would rather have Eldrick than Jimmy

With what i saw the past 4 days, i say no, i know his past, and i still believe those 8-10 years or so we was the best i have ever seen. I just saw a shell of what he was on sunday, in the way he handled himself and hit level of determination.

you forgot another con...he has been far from "Tiger Woods" in previous Ryder Cups, or really any match play events since he's gone pro. He's got a losing record. That, plus his 70th ranking, and just coming back from surgery, makes me feel it should be a resounding no. If he had a history of being clutch in previous Ryder cups, I might be able to overlook everything else.

He has been on the Ryder cup even when playing well with his record so that has no bearing on my question.

I agree he shouldn't be on the team.

have you seen the European list as of right now? there's a few at the bottom of their list that don't exactly strike fear into my heart.

I think European Team will be like:
- Rory
- Justin Rose
- Henrik Stenson
- Martin Kaymer
- Victor Dubuisson
- Sergio Garcia
- Ian Poulter (Captain's pick)
- G-Mac (Captain's pick)
- Thomas Bjorn
- Lee Westwood (Captain's pick)
- Luuuuuuuuuuuuke
- Jamie Donaldson

Right now I would say no. If he can put together some solid golf soon, then maybe.

No. No one is intimidated by him anymore. Time to quit picking him and hoping for the Tiger that "was". His play "is" not worthy of selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woods hasn't necessarily wowed anyone in the Ryder Cup, 13 wins in 33 matches, 4 wins in 7 singles matches.
At the same time, after the automatic 9, I'd still probably take him over the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back