Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Tiger Freaking Woods, yes I do believe he should be on there. He has tons of knowledge and is starting to get his game back now. I think he will be helpful to the team and represent USA proudly.

I'm curios, what is this knowledge you speak of? He can't fix his swing because he is too technical. He can't intimidate because he has no swing. And you have to ask, can he beat Rory in Sunday singles? What extra knowledge does he bring to the table?

He has been on the Ryder cup even when playing well with his record so that has no bearing on my question.

I agree he shouldn't be on the team.

I know, that's my point. Even when he was undoubtedly the best player in the world, he's never really played like that during the Ryder cup. I think he's 13-14-2, and most of that was in his "prime". He's done better in the President's cup, but still not as dominating as you'd expect. Just don't think match play suits him as well as stroke.

I say no

Cant keep waiting for him to "turn it on", he hasnt earned the spot so give it to someone that has

No. Too many others to chose from that are playing much better golf than TW. As others have mentioned, he no longer strikes fear into his opponents and has not shown the game to be a solid contributor to the team.

I do not claim otherwise, but Jimmy Walker is not my cup of tea. If Tiger gets some more rounds in, I would rather have Eldrick than Jimmy

Right now, I'd take Walker over TW hands down. Multiple wins this season and solid, consistent play.

Well I am pretty sure he has more knowledge overall of the game and the Ryder Cup itself. Im pretty sure he's been to a bunch so he's a veteran that has experience. I know if I was going into something like this I wouldn't mind having a teamate with 14 majors.
I'm curios, what is this knowledge you speak of? He can't fix his swing because he is too technical. He can't intimidate because he has no swing. And you have to ask, can he beat Rory in Sunday singles? What extra knowledge does he bring to the table?

I'm no Tiger fan, but some people seem to forget how good he was last year (5 wins). If he's healthy, and it's a big if, it's a no-brainer.
As has been mentioned before, we'll have to see if he rounds into shape before then. Then it's an easy decision.

Yes, hes Tiger Woods and frankly there isn't anyone better than him to pick right now.

Right now, I'd take Walker over TW hands down. Multiple wins this season and solid, consistent play.

I agree, but Walker is an automatic, so after those 9 spots who would you take over Tiger (if healthy).

If I was cheering for USA, no way does he make the team for me. He's just not good enough right now.

Great post Tadashi. I am a huge Tiger fan so this is really hard for me. I'd love for him to be on, but only if his game comes back in time for the Cup. The US Team needs a win, especially after the last one. My skin burns every time I put my Medinah shirt on. If he's on the team because he's Tiger, and then doesn't contribute...ugh. But if he does contribute (envision him making a 10 footer in a late match to win the Cup) it will do so much for him going forward. I think he needs it as much as we do.
If he's held off the team, that will be a massive boost for Europe. Tom Watson will be losing sleep over this.

If I was cheering for USA, no way does he make the team for me. He's just not good enough right now.

Who do pick instead? The problem is the US is so bad right now there really isn't any better choices.

Brendon Todd?

Chris Kirk?

Harris English?

No thanks. Mickelson and Woods will be the two captains picks if things dont change severely.

Who do pick instead? The problem is the US is so bad right now there really isn't any better choices.

Brendon Todd?

Chris Kirk?

Harris English?

You can insert any name I guess, but I'd go with somebody who hits fairways and greens and hope he gets a hot putter.

Brendon Todd?

Chris Kirk?

Harris English?

No thanks. Mickelson and Woods will be the two captains picks if things dont change severely.

Keegan Bradley and Patrick Reed?

You can insert any name I guess, but I'd go with somebody who hits fairways and greens and hope he gets a hot putter.

I agree Tiger is playing terrible right now (2 Tourneys into recovery) but the above comment just makes no sense. I'm no Tiger fan but his chances of lighting it up are 10x better than "just anyone I guess" on the list above him right now not already automatically selected.

Such a hard debate right now, but I just couldn't see leaving him off for some of the others that would be on the team in place of him.

Keegan Bradley and Patrick Reed?

a few months ago Reed would be one most would want as far as his game, but his personality could be a hindrance

No. He hasn't shown that he's worthy of a spot this time. Also, his career Ryder cup record is about .500, so the whole "he's Tiger Woods" thing is probably overstated.

I wish people who say no would give viable options. I'm curious as to who else they would pick and why.

Worn some awesome Jordan golf shoes
He also does that weird stare thing.
I think two tournaments back is rather quick to judge. But he did look horrible this weekend. I bet tiger gets some things worked out pretty quick.

Can he be relied on for his intangibles? Is he an effective leader and motivator for the team even when he's struggling with his own game? If the answer to that is "no", then leave him off.

An emphatic NO !

Cons:
He is 70th in points
Has played horrible this year
Has a balky putter
Can't hit driver to save life

Pros:
He's tiger woods - Doesn't matter with his current game.
He brings leadership - Not with his current attitude and temper.
Can wake up anytime - So can Rip van Winkle
Arguably greatest of all time - He's not the same player right now. He is making gains, but he's not there yet.
He's tiger woods - No matter how many times his name is said, it doesn't make him the right choice for this cup.

I wish people who say no would give viable options. I'm curious as to who else they would pick and why.

After actually looking into it, I'll concede.

My three Captain's picks would be Phil, Patrick Reed, and Tiger because other than Bradley there's really nothing else there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back