Should You Consider a Putter Fitting?

I had kind of a mixed bag with my fitting at club champion. Like I'm a huge proponent of getting fit, and I even plan on getting one of my closest friends an iron fitting at club champion for his birthday coming up. but...

I wasn't really planning on getting a new putter just at christmas last year I had no idea, so I mentioned a putter and wedge fitting...My mother got them as a gift for me(because I can't get my parents to stop getting me christmas gifts). Fun fact, club champion emailed me after they were purchased thanking me for my purchase. When I scheduled my appointment I was looking forward too it. The day before I got an email notifying me that my fitting had been cancelled. When I called to find out why, no one could tell me why, But if I wanted too, I could book the appointment after the one I had previously booked. Very strange but I didn't have anything going on that day so the changed in schedule wasn't the worst. When I arrived for the fitting the fitter had someone there already. My appointment had been bumped so they could fit a former NFL player. Super cool. So we get started and look at the data. Basically my current gamer was exactly perfect for me. The fitter adjust something in the loft/lie machine, not sure Its my fault I didn't ask. They asked me if I just wanted to stay with my gamer or something new. I like shiny things so I wanted to try new putters. Fitter scoffed when I said I liked seemore putters(but it may have been helpful info that most people return them after purchase), when I asked them about upgrading shafts said tiger didn't use an upgraded putter shaft, I almost had to force them to let me try some of the putters. Didn't put together anything from edel or pxg. Really felt like they were pushing a bettinardi putter.

still better than the wedge fitting though I had at a different club champion location.

First ever putter fitting today with one of those SAM devices at a local American Golf. It was a free fitting too.

Thought I had a slight arc going in but it was more pronounced than I thought.

<-------------------- IMPACT ---------------->
9.4 through - 0.6 closed - 5.2 back

Hitting it slightly toe side of centre and 0.6 up AoA.

It was very consistent and all the bars were green above 80%, whatever that meant.

All that meant a 40 degree bend putter was recommended. They didn't have the Cobra King Vintage Nova-40 that I wanted to try in the store, but I did try the TaylorMade Spider they had in the same length and head weight. Felt very good in terms of starting line and weight so I went ahead and ordered the Cobra putter.

I was very impressed with the depth of the SAM readouts. Very comprehensive for a free fitting. I just wish I'd have thought to take some pics of the readouts with my phone.

Interesting stuff. Anyone else had one done recently?

Last edited:
Reading the various posts, it appears that a putter fitting might truly be helpful.

I know that I'm not going to do it, though, so I don't think about it.

Just re-read through all this, seriously considering just doing it now or maybe waiting until September for the special, if they run that again!

Wanted to revive this thread after hearing on Off Course the September special appears to be back.

My question is what has held folks back from getting a putter fitting? With all the tech in putters today it seems like a great investment in your game.

Have trouble with set-up? See-More has you
Alignment? Edel is great
Variability in your approach angle? Go check out Cobra
Can't hit center strikes? Callaway Tri-Hot might fit the bill

(with plenty of other options out there...)

There is one huge problem with this whole "putter fitting" thing:

if I know my putter is perfectly matched for my putting set up and stroke, what's my excuse when I miss short, straight, uphill three footers?!?!?!?!?????

if I know my putter is perfectly matched for my putting set up and stroke, what's my excuse when I miss short, straight, uphill three footers?!?!?!?!?????

Do you know if you’re with or against the grain?

How does a putter fitting work exactly?

How does a putter fitting work exactly?

There are some nuances. The first post in this thread links to an article about club champions process.

This link will take you how Edel does their fitting process: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-edel-fitting-experience/

But basically fitters are trying to get you into the right putter type, loft, and lie. Most will put some type of device that measures how you are moving the putter better then the human eye can see. I’ve used SAM Putt lab at Club Champion, the Ping app at a local fitter, and a Blast Motion type device at golf galaxy. They can show you how quickly you open and close the face, what angle you are hitting the ball at, what your tempo is, etc.

At the end of the day, you can learn what type of putter beat fits how you take your stroke, and have the right length, loft, and lie to fit the proper setup for what works for you.

It was a bit of a game changer for me and I highly recommend it.

There are some nuances. The first post in this thread links to an article about club champions process.

This link will take you how Edel does their fitting process: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-edel-fitting-experience/

But basically fitters are trying to get you into the right putter type, loft, and lie. Most will put some type of device that measures how you are moving the putter better then the human eye can see. I’ve used SAM Putt lab at Club Champion, the Ping app at a local fitter, and a Blast Motion type device at golf galaxy. They can show you how quickly you open and close the face, what angle you are hitting the ball at, what your tempo is, etc.

At the end of the day, you can learn what type of putter beat fits how you take your stroke, and have the right length, loft, and lie to fit the proper setup for what works for you.

It was a bit of a game changer for me and I highly recommend it.
Thank you for this response and the link, definitely intending to look into it.

I've really been considering a putter fitting as I feel I just do not make as many as I should. Since this thread has been resurrected, I'm curious to hear from those like @JB, @Jman, @Desmond and anyone else who has had multiple putter fittings. Did each of those putter fittings confirm what the previous fittings did, or were the results all different? If different, what changed and why, your stroke, alignment, the putter.....?

I've really been considering a putter fitting as I feel I just do not make as many as I should. Since this thread has been resurrected, I'm curious to hear from those like @JB, @Jman, @Desmond and anyone else who has had multiple putter fittings. Did each of those putter fittings confirm what the previous fittings did, or were the results all different? If different, what changed and why, your stroke, alignment, the putter.....?
Go read my Edel fitting article if you haven’t already, it’s worth the time!

I have had 3 separate putter fittings. All three determined one thing the same, my angle of attack at impact requires my putter to be stronger in loft (lower in loft…like 2* instead of a typical 3-4* in standard putters). Everything else seemed to be close, but different enough in terms of what works best that it would lead to a different putter for me.

I have had 3 separate putter fittings. All three determined one thing the same, my angle of attack at impact requires my putter to be stronger in loft (lower in loft…like 2* instead of a typical 3-4* in standard putters). Everything else seemed to be close, but different enough in terms of what works best that it would lead to a different putter for me.
Did you end up changing putters based on the findings? Did one of the three produce more positive results on the course than the others?

Did you end up changing putters based on the findings? Did one of the three produce more positive results on the course than the others?
Well…I have like 12, so kinda lol

I seem to putt fairly consistently with all of them. Now if I can get fit for reading greens I’d be set

Well…I have like 12, so kinda lol

I seem to putt fairly consistently with all of them. Now if I can get fit for reading greens I’d be set
That is one of my concerns. All the technology in the world won't help if you aren't any good at green reading! :ROFLMAO:

Considering the three putters I have cost me $200, $175, and $265, they're each fairly different from one another, and I felt my putting improved with each acquisition--when, in reality, it probably didn't: I will definitely be getting a putter fitting before buying another.

Not to have somebody tell me "You should be swinging <this> putter," but to tell me what I should be looking for in the way of shaft length, loft, lie, and toe hang.

I whole heartedly say everyone should get fit for there putter. Best thing I ever did!

I believe a putter fitting is good to figure out type of stroke and general length/loft/lie of putter that best fits your body size and putting stroke...as far as actual putter, they'll recommend one, but you can hunt for whatever suits your eye to fit

I whole heartedly say everyone should get fit for there putter. Best thing I ever did!

I need to get fit for Edel wedges and putter next season 😎

I got a full bag fitting at CC last month. I got to try a whole bunch of putters even though he wasn't going to sell me one. He told me I needed a 31 inch face balanced putter, which is exactly what I used last year. I bought a 32 inch toe hang putter to the fitting. Based on the fitting I bought another face balanced putter and swapped grips to a size that I was more comfortable with after cutting it down to 31 inches.

Back