Pick your favorite

• Married with children

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • All in the family

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • The jeffersons

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
All in the Family and it’s not close, imo.

And I say that with it being a show I love.

All in the Family gets my vote.

Yep. unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, the world is different now.

I grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons and I miss them. It was a different time for sure and I can see how they would be offensive but they were funny.

THOMAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!

I'm so torn about all of this. On the one hand, we miss out on a lot of thought provoking material and on the other, we pay closer attention to marginalized groups. Us white euro straight christian males haven't been picked on and shown in a poor light so we may think less about it.

I'm 59 and I grew up watching a cartoon where a French skunk sexually molested a cat each episode for the duration of the episode....rape was pretty much the entire gist of the humor. I grew up quite able to discern between a joke and reality but such media does influence how boys develop.

Chico and the Man!

3 very funny shows. Loved all 3. For purposes of this subject, I went will All in the Family.

I'm so torn about all of this. On the one hand, we miss out on a lot of thought provoking material and on the other, we pay closer attention to marginalized groups. Us white euro straight christian males haven't been picked on and shown in a poor light so we may think less about it.

I'm 59 and I grew up watching a cartoon where a French skunk sexually molested a cat each episode for the duration of the episode....rape was pretty much the entire gist of the humor. I grew up quite able to discern between a joke and reality but such media does influence how boys develop.
Yeah, it's pretty offensive when you put PePe Le Pew in that light... he should have taken NO for an answer:(

Just think about the movie Blazing Saddles, Mel Brooks made fun of everyone. That movie is so politically incorrect that there is no way it could ever be remade today.

I love that movie and think the same thing every time I see it.

Blazing Saddles,

'Uses their tongue fancier than a twenty dollar *****....'

Not sure that would be a problem, but the sheriff would not be described in the same way.

I love that movie and think the same thing every time I see it.
Years ago we go home & watch it after a long night of drinking & just laugh our butts off. I think I could probably quote that whole movie.

Blazing Saddles,

'Uses their tongue fancier than a twenty dollar *****....'

Not sure that would be a problem, but the sheriff would not be described in the same way.
Yeah, they bleep it out now when it's on tv. Mongo punching the horse would have peta up in arms!

I have to admit I don't really understand the premise of the question. It must be shows that would not be on the 3 (4?) major, over the air networks, right? There certainly are much more offensive shows on today on the "cable" channels. On broadcast TV shows like the Bachelor have no redeeming qualities and are highly offensive yet seem to do well. The animated series like the Simpsons and Family Guy push social issues hard at times. Maybe what has changed is that the cable channels have taken up much of the slack from the traditional networks to provide more gritty, inventive shows while broadcast TV seems mostly stuck on repetitive cop/ER shows and amateur talent shows as well as other (non) reality TV.

Yeah, it's pretty offensive when you put PePe Le Pew in that light... he should have taken NO for an answer:(
No means No PePe!!

I really liked Married with Children and still see that show from time to time on reruns now.

I don't remember All in the Family enough to remember the show but know how much the issues it dealt with would not work today.

"Can I have more beans boss?":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"Dang, that was lucky! God darn near lost a $400 handcart!":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No means No PePe!!

I really liked Married with Children and still see that show from time to time on reruns now.

I don't remember All in the Family enough to remember the show but know how much the issues it dealt with would not work today.
I think, stress "think" here, that Modern Family is today's equivalent of Married with Children... Ed O'Neill is in both... kids... hot wife... I'll be honest and say I've not seen much of modern family to compare.

I think, stress "think" here, that Modern Family is today's equivalent of Married with Children... Ed O'Neill is in both... kids... hot wife... I'll be honest and say I've not seen much of modern family to compare.
My block would make modern family look tame in comparison.

We have 8 houses on our cul-de-sac.

One house has two married women, one house has two married men, of which one was married before and has three children where his wife drug issues, but is now sober yet never accepted how he changed.

One house has a really nice autistic son but the father has issues with his neighbors about how he doesn't cut his lawn. One of those FU fences was built between houses that had fun conversations.

One house had the unfortunate situation of her husband beating her. Now, she suffers from drug and alcohol issues.

Two other homes had children just a bit older than mine and liked to party a bit.

Another house was into swinging as couples, but eventually, the wife was arrested for underage sex trafficking when she had a few "boyfriends" under the age of 18.

Then lastly you had my house. Yea, I know we must be crazy or something to stay here for 20 years. But, it was fun watching.

The TV show you could have had from our neighborhood would have made all reality shows look pale in comparison. A scripted show couldn't have been more unbelievable.

I have to admit I don't really understand the premise of the question. It must be shows that would not be on the 3 (4?) major, over the air networks, right? There certainly are much more offensive shows on today on the "cable" channels. On broadcast TV shows like the Bachelor have no redeeming qualities and are highly offensive yet seem to do well. The animated series like the Simpsons and Family Guy push social issues hard at times. Maybe what has changed is that the cable channels have taken up much of the slack from the traditional networks to provide more gritty, inventive shows while broadcast TV seems mostly stuck on repetitive cop/ER shows and amateur talent shows as well as other (non) reality TV.
You'd probably have to watch a few episodes of All In The Family to really understand it. It was offensive in ways that would in no way be acceptable to our modern "woke" society. And it wasn't even really considered "edgy" back then, it was just another network sitcom.

All in family the other two strengt even close.

I'm sort of afraid to put a laugh emoji on this one, not sure which is appropriate.

Where is the looking through fingers to not look like you are looking but can’t look away emoji when you need one?

I thought the vote would be closer but "all in the family" taking it. Kinda surprised "the Jeffersons" didn't get more votes

I don’t remember all in the family..

Back