Sim vs Range lessons

J_Gold

Reaction score
Theres a very good coach in my local area who has coached at a national team level but he only has access to a sim (not sure which brand) and a small 9 hole course on hotel grounds. I have never used a sim before so I was wondering what you guys think? An elite coach without substantial practice facilities or a decent coach but with access to a range?

Oh, wow! I don't think a Sim can come close to a range with a launch monitor. BUT, if the instructor is as good as you say, go with the better instructor. You can gain good habits on a sim, just not as good as a range session.

I think it will depend on which one you are more comfortable with. Elite doesn't always mean better as it pertains to working with an individual, it certainly could be though.
For me the sim would depend on size of bay. Club Champion like? No problem at all on my end. Small and tucked away, I might struggle a bit.

I would say the key phase in your question is elite coach. Assuming you want to work on swing. I would say yes, even if hitting off of linoleum. Hitting from a matt or turf is different, no doubt, but I don't think that will have an impact on instruction. Having instant data can be helpful too.

I think a good coach can help your game using a sim, but I think it's more about whether that coach is a good fit for you.

Looks like @JB beat me to it.

I think it will depend on which one you are more comfortable with. Elite doesn't always mean better as it pertains to working with an individual, it certainly could be though.
For me the sim would depend on size of bay. Club Champion like? No problem at all on my end. Small and tucked away, I might struggle a bit.

The first part of your response is interesting. I haven't thought about comfort level and fit. I've been generally lucky but could easily imagine situations where I would flail with some instruction styles and approaches, even if world class. Good to keep in mind.

Interesting responses here. I can't say what I prefer as I have never used a launch monitor before. Nothing can replace real turf and a range however. What is good is that he has a 9 hole course so I guess we can work a few lessons on the launch monitor and then take it out on the course for a playing lesson hitting off real grass. Something I didn't mention is that the other guy im thinking about does have a launch monitor but his booth also opens out onto a range so you can aim at real targets instead of a screen right in front of you. Do people notice a real different in the two?

Last edited:
Another thing to consider - how comfortable are you hitting in to a screen as that can have a subconscious effect on you
I only ask as my instructor moved from a range to an indoor facility and it took me a little while to get used to hitting in to a screen, but my wife struggles and doesn't like it so will only ever go to the range

Assuming the instructor using the sim is using either Trackman or GCQuad/GC2? You can get plenty of feedback from this even indoors, and obviously practicing indoors means you can schedule lessons regardless of the weather

PS - Another UK member here from the other side of the country (County Durham)

Another thing to consider - how comfortable are you hitting in to a screen as that can have a subconscious effect on you
I only ask as my instructor moved from a range to an indoor facility and it took me a little while to get used to hitting in to a screen, but my wife struggles and doesn't like it so will only ever go to the range

Assuming the instructor using the sim is using either Trackman or GCQuad/GC2? You can get plenty of feedback from this even indoors, and obviously practicing indoors means you can schedule lessons regardless of the weather

PS - Another UK member here from the other side of the country (County Durham)

I presume he uses one of those launch monitor systems. And thats the thing, I can't say if hitting into a screen has an effect on me because i've never done it! I guess I'll have to just try it out. My shot shape and swing will still be the same indoors and that is probably what needs working on.

GolfTec has built a chain of stores off of the concept of indoor coaching/analysis/fitting, using launch monitors and other devices that help diagnose the swing and improvements thereto. I worked with a great coach for 4 months two winters ago and it was all indoors at a GolfTec. I would still be working with him if he hadn’t moved away.

Shanky on the Online Golf Tour has helped lots of people. Think it depends on the coach, and if they can decipher the numbers on the launch monitor. It can find things out about your swing a coach without the launch monitor cannot.
The guy I'm taking lessons from will coach me regularly, but when he really wants to get something across that I'm not getting, he brings his gc2 to the range and shows me the numbers. I'm a more analytical thinker so think it helps me in ways that just getting something described wouldn't help.

Back