Single Plane Swing - Simplified Biomechanics?

So, working on SPS with my driver again this afternoon. Trying again to figure out why things had gone to hades. And this time, this time maybe I got it.

Long story short: I couldn't make it work with SPS as Todd Graves instructs/demonstrates it to save my soul. Works well for me for irons, though my distance is not good, but simply could not execute with the driver. Then I thought back to the way I was swinging as I described in this post, back on Oct. 23, and tried replicating that.

Lo and behold: I started hitting them again. Not half-badly, either, considering. By the time I hit my last drive it was getting dark-ish, so I could not see the ball flight, but it felt and sounded good, I think I caught it flashing off the tee--and don't think I sliced it, and it didn't make a sound down-range, which suggests it cleared the tops of the trees for a good, long ways.

Going back and reviewing Kirk Junge's Single Plane Driver Swing video, I think what's working for me is closer to what he does than what Todd Graves does.

The weather's turning here, now. Probably until spring, this time, so my only chance to try again will be at the local golf store's heated driving range, and that does not tend to lend itself well to studied experimentation for me as well as the back yard on the mat. But I'm going to have to give it a go.

I'm going to have to re-review Junge's SPS with irons, too. If his SPS is similarly different from Graves' with irons, too, maybe I should make that adjustment, as well. May get some distance back.

So, working on SPS with my driver again this afternoon. Trying again to figure out why things had gone to hades. And this time, this time maybe I got it.

Long story short: I couldn't make it work with SPS as Todd Graves instructs/demonstrates it to save my soul. Works well for me for irons, though my distance is not good, but simply could not execute with the driver. Then I thought back to the way I was swinging as I described in this post, back on Oct. 23, and tried replicating that.

Lo and behold: I started hitting them again. Not half-badly, either, considering. By the time I hit my last drive it was getting dark-ish, so I could not see the ball flight, but it felt and sounded good, I think I caught it flashing off the tee--and don't think I sliced it, and it didn't make a sound down-range, which suggests it cleared the tops of the trees for a good, long ways.

Going back and reviewing Kirk Junge's Single Plane Driver Swing video, I think what's working for me is closer to what he does than what Todd Graves does.

The weather's turning here, now. Probably until spring, this time, so my only chance to try again will be at the local golf store's heated driving range, and that does not tend to lend itself well to studied experimentation for me as well as the back yard on the mat. But I'm going to have to give it a go.

I'm going to have to re-review Junge's SPS with irons, too. If his SPS is similarly different from Graves' with irons, too, maybe I should make that adjustment, as well. May get some distance back.
It's interesting to hear about your trials. Did you try the jumbomax grips? From what I read Bryson uses oversized grips, more like holding a tennis racket which could make a difference.

It's interesting to hear about your trials.

Did you try the jumbomax grips? From what I read Bryson uses oversized grips, more like holding a tennis racket which could make a difference.
I did not. I don't think my issue with trying to swing the way Graves demonstrates is a grip size thing. I know grips do matter. When I re-gripped the failing grips on my irons, earlier this year, to midsize grips, I realized an immediate improvement.

Extending my arms as far as Graves demonstrates feels awkward to me and I can't seem to swing well, beyond baby swings, that way. Setting up more closely to the way Junge does feels more comfortable and natural. Fully rotating my lead wrist down like Graves shows I think is part of the problem for me. When I let that wrist relax to what feels to me like a more natural, less forced position, the club comes back a bit. I'm still in the same stance in every other aspect, with my arms extended.

I did not. I don't think my issue with trying to swing the way Graves demonstrates is a grip size thing. I know grips do matter. When I re-gripped the failing grips on my irons, earlier this year, to midsize grips, I realized an immediate improvement.

Extending my arms as far as Graves demonstrates feels awkward to me and I can't seem to swing well, beyond baby swings, that way. Setting up more closely to the way Junge does feels more comfortable and natural. Fully rotating my lead wrist down like Graves shows I think is part of the problem for me. When I let that wrist relax to what feels to me like a more natural, less forced position, the club comes back a bit. I'm still in the same stance in every other aspect, with my arms extended.
I tried SPS and the arm extension position is not for me because my brain simply doesn't like the feel or look. That said, other folks who naturally reach out to the ball at address would probably like that setup.

I tried SPS and the arm extension position is not for me because my brain simply doesn't like the feel or look. That said, other folks who naturally reach out to the ball at address would probably like that setup.
I had the exact same experience the first time I tried it, so I gave it up. Then, as I described in that post back in October, I watched how my neighor's son was swinging and though "Hmmm..."

Extending-out fully feels awkward. Feels forced. Unnatural. But when I relax just a bit, to a setup that does feel natural and un-forced, but is still extended, it seems to work. Is it still SPS? I guess I'll someday have to slow-mo it and see if I can tell. But it worked that one day and it appeared to be working last night.

<looks at the wx forecast...>

It's supposed to get back into the low 40's later this week, with no add'l precip, so I should be able to get to the LGS' driving range and some more thorough testing. Wish me luck! My driver being out-to-lunch the last few weeks has been driving me a bit loopy :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I had the exact same experience the first time I tried it, so I gave it up. Then, as I described in that post back in October, I watched how my neighor's son was swinging and though "Hmmm..."

Extending-out fully feels awkward. Feels forced. Unnatural. But when I relax just a bit, to a setup that does feel natural and un-forced, it seems to work. Is it still SPS? I guess I'll someday have to slow-mo it and see if I can tell. But it worked that one day and it appeared to be working last night.

<looks at the wx forecast...>

It's supposed to get back into the low 40's later this week, with no add'l precip, so I should be able to get to the LGS' driving range and some more thorough testing. Wish me luck! My driver being out-to-lunch the last few weeks has been driving me a bit loopy :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I did the same thing by relaxing a bit then wondered if I was venturing into some hybrid that would be very hard to replicate because some days I could be tenser than others, more flexible, etc. It helped but I also felt like the differences between swings was lessening to the point of "what am I doing?". Lol. Who knows, but experimentation is fun.

I talked to my pro the other day about the SPS. He said it could be very good, or not, depending upon what one's issues are to begin with, such as lack of flexibility or other more swing fundamentals that some folks simply cannot grasp with the TS lessons. He said he will teach the SPS if a player is simply too "wild" with too much variability in movement that needs to be harnessed, or has limitations in movement, adding that his success rate is much better with older golfers. He also said Moe was autistic (supported by various articles) and as such his brain was likely hard wired to have an uncanny ability to replicate his swing like a robot plus manipulate the club face like no other, and for folks to try and replicate that swing without his brain wiring could be a tough venture.

Yeah, I did the same thing by relaxing a bit then wondered if I was venturing into some hybrid that would be very hard to replicate because some days I could be tenser than others, more flexible, etc. It helped but I also felt like the differences between swings was lessening to the point of "what am I doing?"
Yeah, that has occurred to me, as well.

I think I should be able to replicate what I'm doing fairly consistently. It's essentially the setup Graves teaches, just relaxed a bit. We shall see. I wasn't having much luck being consistent with a TS. S&T looks like too many moving parts. Full-tilt SPS I could not make work.

Junge, in one of his SPS videos, makes mention of approaching SPS from TS gradually.

The below video has over 400k views which means people are assessing the single plane option. I've heard of this before so it's not new to me, but I also never tried it either. So yesterday I experimented out on the course for 27 holes to replicate actual playing conditions, mindset, etc. The results were interesting, but certainly one day of trial is hardly a true evaluation. One caveat is "was I really doing a single plane swing or did I feel like I was". I don't know, but certainly the setup and stance was more in-line with the single plane. The results between the two swings was somewhat unique in terms of directional stability and simplicity. I want to add that with either swing the lower body must start the downswing, so there's no cheating with the single plane swing, but I did find the lower body wanting to engage a little better with the single plane, without focusing on my lower body. That too needs more experimentation to know for sure.

I played "Tiger vs. Couples" with two balls on each hole. The more difficult aspect was reaching out on the single plane vs. my hands being closer to my body. The other change was moving to a wider stance on one swing, then back to a narrower stance on "my swing". On a par 3 170 I hit "my swing" and pulled the ball left which is a more common miss for me. Then I tried the single plane. The ball flew online to the pin, not some perfect shot in terms of being 2 feet from the pin, but directionally superior. This occurred with shorter irons as well, whereby I tend to push those shots to the right. The single plane with the wider stance did seem to feel like it reduced body movement variability. That said, the wider the stance naturally limits hips and/or shoulders slide/sway movement, or possibly getting ahead of the ball on the down swing. If I stand with my feet together I can slide / sway far more, which is the same for everyone. So in my short experiment I can see how the stance does reduce variable movements. As for driver, I hit several drives that were 15-25 yards farther than with "my swing". However, that too could be anecdotal, but it was nonetheless a positive deviation, and it didn't feel unnatural.

It did feel a bit odd to have my arms more extended at address, but that said, it also did feel more like I knew where to get back to on the downswing. I am fairly certain golf instructors have poo-pooed the single plane swing for many years, but some argue (as in this video) that doing so makes the swing more complicated than it needs to be. Hmmm. I'm curious if others have tried this swing?

The guy said that people can't make swing adjustments after they start their swings because the body is moving too fast. False. Jack Nicklaus (in his own words via either the Pinnacle or Prime show on the golf channel) made a swing adjustment on a 2 iron at the Master's and stuck it about 2 feet away from the pin. He said he brought it too far inside on the backswing, he recognized it, held slightly longer than normal to compensate for it to prevent hooking it. He said the normal person can only think about 1 or 2 things during a golf swing. Jack said he could think about 5 or 6 thing. He lost me after that. Is he selling a program or something? He said a couple of other things like, "it's the only way to play the game, imo." How many majors does a single plane swinger have under their belt vs traditional swingers?

The guy said that people can't make swing adjustments after they start their swings because the body is moving too fast. False. Jack Nicklaus (in his own words via either the Pinnacle or Prime show on the golf channel) made a swing adjustment on a 2 iron at the Master's and stuck it about 2 feet away from the pin. He said he brought it too far inside on the backswing, he recognized it, held slightly longer than normal to compensate for it to prevent hooking it. He said the normal person can only think about 1 or 2 things during a golf swing. Jack said he could think about 5 or 6 thing. He lost me after that. Is he selling a program or something? He said a couple of other things like, "it's the only way to play the game, imo." How many majors does a single plane swinger have under their belt vs traditional swingers?
Yeah, some people simply have an uncanny ability to play golf, and Nicklaus is one of them. I heard he actually changed his swing ON THE DOWNSWING to hit some shot, like a one or two iron....maybe that's the shot you're referring to. Who can possibly do that...but a very few? Moe played on the PGA tour but from what I read he left the tour due to bullying(?). Seems odd considering his ball-striking ability. But I tend to believe Moe could not compete with the likes of Nicklaus and Palmer who were bombing drives that reached some 330 yard par 4 greens. I saw somewhere that Moe's drives were about 250 yards. Plus, courses were lengthened to stop Jack and Arnie from having a huge distance advantage.

Bryson's Tour Stats. Interesting. 2021 Season and 2020.

Attachments

• 2020-11-30_10-35-28.jpg
    2020-11-30_10-35-28.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 5
  • 2020-11-30_10-39-24.jpg
    2020-11-30_10-39-24.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 4
The guy said that people can't make swing adjustments after they start their swings because the body is moving too fast. False. Jack Nicklaus (in his own words via either the Pinnacle or Prime show on the golf channel) made a swing adjustment on a 2 iron at the Master's and stuck it about 2 feet away from the pin.
Conversely, there's this:
There is a book called 'Search For The Perfect Swing' by Cochran and Stobbs where they tested out whether one could sabotage a golfers swing.

They placed many golfers in a single lighted room driving balls into a net and then as the downswing started , switched off the light into total darkness. They asked the golfer to do whatever they could to try and stop their swing when the lights went off or at least try to change it by slowing down or going OTT or mishitting the ball.

They found that the golfers were unable to stop/sabotage their swings when the light was switched off just as the downswing started. Nearly all could stop the shot if the light went out during the backswing.

And quoting from the book:

"What this implies is that once any of us has fairly begun the forward swing, we can't correct or alter it in any way . The time it takes to do the downswing (0.2- 0.25 secs) is just about the minimum time required for the brain to perceive external signals, to give orders for the appropriate action, and for the muscles concerned to do something about it "

So I suspect looking or not looking at the ball as the downswing starts won't make any difference to your intended swing. However , staring at the ball might inadvertently keep your head still and that will limit your natural movement in both the backswing and forward swing.
That was posted to my Any Tricks/Hints For Learning To Keep One's Eye On The Ball? (Is it even necessary?) thread by @WILDTHING, back in July.

So maybe some people can make adjustments on-the-fly, but, if so, it would appear to be an uncommon ability.

Last edited:
Conversely, there's this:

That was posted to my Any Tricks/Hints For Learning To Keep One's Eye On The Ball? (Is it even necessary?) by @WILDTHING, back in July.

So maybe some people can make adjustments on-the-fly, but, if so, it would appear to be an uncommon ability.

As interesting that particular study is, I can't help but find it unreliable and unproven in regards to what exactly their intent was. Turning the lights off would take your senses off of feeling your swing mechanics and your visual senses would kick it and take over the remaining time your brain has to complete or stop the swing.

As interesting that particular study is, I can't help but find it unreliable and unproven in regards to what exactly their intent was. Turning the lights off would take your senses off of feeling your swing mechanics and your visual senses would kick it and take over the remaining time your brain has to complete or stop the swing.
There's always those that have the lights on and nobody is home! LOL. Yeah, interesting but I agree in terms of the reliability of the test...but...it is a test that is interesting. I think a better test would be to think slice and adjust to a hook during the downswing. I'd end up with a hice.

As I alluded to in prior posts, I have several "fall back" swings I go to. Although I had a good run with single plane, I switched back to a more traditional swing as influenced by Chuck Martin. For the moment, this serves me well. I believe that if all comes to that if you have your timing down and sync'd, and can get into a good impact position, it really does not matter. The argument that Kirk Junge gives is that in the traditional or two plane, you need a bit of manipulation on the down swing in order to shallow out. Basically, all of these swing patterns will work very well. Heck, there are times when my old, upright, flying elbow that I had years ago seems to fit the bill. At the time, that's all I knew and why I sometimes will meme "I wished I didn't know now, what I didn't know then". Now, I really do NOT recommend that one should be switching back and forth, but for one reason or another, I am able to.

As I alluded to in prior posts, I have several "fall back" swings I go to. Although I had a good run with single plane, I switched back to a more traditional swing as influenced by Chuck Martin. For the moment, this serves me well. I believe that if all comes to that if you have your timing down and sync'd, and can get into a good impact position, it really does not matter. The argument that Kirk Junge gives is that in the traditional or two plane, you need a bit of manipulation on the down swing in order to shallow out. Basically, all of these swing patterns will work very well. Heck, there are times when my old, upright, flying elbow that I had years ago seems to fit the bill. At the time, that's all I knew and why I sometimes will meme "I wished I didn't know now, what I didn't know then". Now, I really do NOT recommend that one should be switching back and forth, but for one reason or another, I am able to.
Honestly, I find a lazy disconnected....more "arms" backswing combined with a trifle too much "slide" vs rotation on the downswing is probably 90% of my swing flaws. If I get those right, or decently correct most of the stupid shots fade away.

Now, I really do NOT recommend that one should be switching back and forth, but for one reason or another, I am able to.
Yeah, that's probably a recipe for disaster :ROFLMAO: But I have done it, on occasion. Just out of curiosity or for experimental purposes. I can still get a bit more distance out of TS than I do SPS, but I still have trouble finding the bottom of my swing as consistently as I can with SPS.

Yea, I sometimes use a different swing for each shot, mainly because I have no patience. I am able to that because I am consistent, which in my case means equally bad. OTOH, when I do this, I can drink from the bottomless well of hope.

However, as I've said before, to me, many if not most of these swing models have the same basic elements: Backswing (weight/pressure shift, more or less), lateral shift forward which drops the club, turn through (hips or torso or arms). We all know what impact is supposed to look like, so the different instructions are designed to get specific groups of golfers into that position. For example, mod ball position, we know you have to shift forward to some extent to bring the low point ahead of the ball. This is in the teachings of Martin Chuck, S&T, Jim Mclean (both the older and new Gravity Golf version), Larry Rinker, Aimee (actually better than you might think), Jim Hardy, et al.Thing is, some people have difficulty doing this, others less so, and as a result what someone intends to do is not what they actually do. So you've got instructors aimed at the former group who emphasize REALLY shifting forward (e.g. S&T Rob Cheney, Saguto?), because people of that ilk will only then end up shifting the proper amount. People who have difficulty with flattening the shaft in transition (to one extent or another) can avail themselves of Junge or Graves, who emphasize a more single-plane, non-rotational-trail hand to maximize the chance of coming into impact properly. Then you have the arm downswing (Rinker, to some extent Malaska) vs. the hips/torso (Paul Wilson, Junge, Graves, McLean). So this vacillating between swings is really a search for the right INTENTIONS to lead you particularly (meaning body type, physical issues, mental tendencies) to the correct result (i.e. proper impact position).

My head hurts.

@nlk10010 yah...makes one dizzy don't it? I have looked at most of the ones you mention. Its been awhile for Aimee, but I enjoy listening to her straightforward, no nonsense approach, and she is not all that bad to look at. I mentioned to Martin Chuck once that he should hire her, but Mrs. Chuck took exception to that although it did bring forth a smile.

Yea, I sometimes use a different swing for each shot, mainly because I have no patience. I am able to that because I am consistent, which in my case means equally bad. OTOH, when I do this, I can drink from the bottomless well of hope.

However, as I've said before, to me, many if not most of these swing models have the same basic elements: Backswing (weight/pressure shift, more or less), lateral shift forward which drops the club, turn through (hips or torso or arms). We all know what impact is supposed to look like, so the different instructions are designed to get specific groups of golfers into that position. For example, mod ball position, we know you have to shift forward to some extent to bring the low point ahead of the ball. This is in the teachings of Martin Chuck, S&T, Jim Mclean (both the older and new Gravity Golf version), Larry Rinker, Aimee (actually better than you might think), Jim Hardy, et al.Thing is, some people have difficulty doing this, others less so, and as a result what someone intends to do is not what they actually do. So you've got instructors aimed at the former group who emphasize REALLY shifting forward (e.g. S&T Rob Cheney, Saguto?), because people of that ilk will only then end up shifting the proper amount. People who have difficulty with flattening the shaft in transition (to one extent or another) can avail themselves of Junge or Graves, who emphasize a more single-plane, non-rotational-trail hand to maximize the chance of coming into impact properly. Then you have the arm downswing (Rinker, to some extent Malaska) vs. the hips/torso (Paul Wilson, Junge, Graves, McLean). So this vacillating between swings is really a search for the right INTENTIONS to lead you particularly (meaning body type, physical issues, mental tendencies) to the correct result (i.e. proper impact position).

My head hurts.
This post is excellent in terms of how you put things into perspective, at least for me (y). If I watched hundreds of "how to swing a club" videos where the guy/gal hits a ball to demonstrate their swing.....with the sound off....most of the swings would look very similar. Then if I were to turn the sound on and replay the same videos, suddenly I would hear 1,000's of ways as to how to accomplish those otherwise similar swings. And you're right, teaching methods are often exaggerated to get people to do something a little more, like those who have a tough time transitioning their weight to their left side may benefit from S&T. In the end, they're probably not doing S&T in a strict sense, but it helps them overall.

I tend to revert back to there's only so many ways to swing a golf club, yet, it's amazing to me how something that literally takes 2 seconds has been dissected into a million pieces. Of course there are moving parts....but in reality there aren't that many in the grand scheme of things. Its just a matter of decent fundamentals combined with decent sequencing, combined with meaningful experimentation....not just "trying something" for a few shots....AND video to see if anything really changed. The strive for perfection, or to "hit like Tiger" or Bryson has led to more problems than not. The SPS has caught on because of Bryson's swing, but that's Bryon's swing. It's like setting out to paint like Rembrandt or Van Gogh. Sure, I'm "painting" but that's about it. LOL.

Plus, IMO trying to chase anomalies like Moe, Tiger, Jack, Lexi (for women), etc is like saying I could be the QB for the Steelers if I just took more time, adjusted a few things. I think one of the toughest aspect to overcome is coming to terms with spending time to discover our weaknesses (mental and physical), "take the medicine" if you will. I know many guys who want to break 90 who cannot hit 30-50 yard SW shots with connection and rotation, similar to Rory, Tiger, and Jason in the excellent TaylorMade video. There is no requirement for athleticism to perform those shots, yet they top, shank, blade, chuck, and almost whiff. Instead of bearing down and learning, they quit, grab their 7 iron and proceed to hit the same bad full shots over and over. It's like they don't want to face reality because there's really no excuse to be unable to hit those shots at least decently well. And how many times has someone said after a series of lessons whereby they actually showed improvement proclaim "I'm going back to my old swing?". What "old swing?". LOL. It's like they want to be a rock star guitarist but want to skip the part about learning the scales or basic finger-picking.

Plus, something in the brain goes haywire when a ball is in front of a club that needs to be overcome before any swing will work. How many times have we seen someone make nice practice swings with their 3W or hybrid, brushing the turf, then setup to the ball and top the ball 20 yards with a completely different swing? What particular swing type is going to fix that problem? That's a mental issue which is buried somewhere in the subconscious that must be overcome.

-snip-

Plus, something in the brain goes haywire when a ball is in front of a club that needs to be overcome before any swing will work. How many times have we seen someone make nice practice swings with their 3W or hybrid, brushing the turf, then setup to the ball and top the ball 20 yards with a completely different swing? What particular swing type is going to fix that problem? That's a mental issue which is buried somewhere in the subconscious that must be overcome.
I want to respond to this particular point, because it absolutely amazes me how I can keep the handle in front of the ball during my practice swings yet when a ball is in front of me and I know I'm going to hit it, my lead arms stops, I do a chicken wing and scoop, pushing with my trail hand. Video after video after video of my practice/live swings confirm this. Commonly called the "hit impulse", there are those who think it's an excuse, but it's a FACT for me, many of my friends and I'm sure many others (you can look up Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone on YT). Now I'm not saying this "hit impulse" is the ONLY think keeping me from being great ( :) ), I understand there is face alignment, swing speed, path, etc., but it is ONE.

I want to respond to this particular point, because it absolutely amazes me how I can keep the handle in front of the ball during my practice swings yet when a ball is in front of me and I know I'm going to hit it, my lead arms stops, I do a chicken wing and scoop, pushing with my trail hand. Video after video after video of my practice/live swings confirm this. Commonly called the "hit impulse", there are those who think it's an excuse, but it's a FACT for me, many of my friends and I'm sure many others (you can look up Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone on YT). Now I'm not saying this "hit impulse" is the ONLY think keeping me from being great ( :) ), I understand there is face alignment, swing speed, path, etc., but it is ONE.
It's one, and probably the main one. I see this constantly....and even on pitches I will take nice practice swings then drag the handle and chunk or blade a shot. I can take 400 practice swings before those shots and blade the next one.

well, now...I fin ally was able to get out to a course after three phone calls. I went to a course that I have not played in awhile and it had been completely redesigned, not for the better I might add. Tee boxes were poorly marked, hard just to navigate around the course, score card did not reflect the actual holes. I wore a Garmin watch and relied on its GPS. Many hidden greens that required fairway markers. One even had a group of huge boulders smack dab in the front of the tee in the middle of the fairway. It made for some interesting approaches. I managed to card a very respectable 7 over par, but the course HC was 62 and slope 103. I used a few different swings as mentioned above appropriate for the holes I were aiming towards. One very gratifying 4 iron that had a nice baby draw, intentional no less. (thank you Eric Cogorno on your passive release video). Screw the ball flight rules, I "turned the arms over" on that sucker.

My new mantra...."Play Golf - not Golf Swing". (I probably borrowed that from a post here).

Ah, it has a name: "Hit iimpulse." I used to have it bad, but I think I've mostly overcome it. It just kind of (mostly?) disappeared one day.

@nlk10010 yah...makes one dizzy don't it? I have looked at most of the ones you mention. Its been awhile for Aimee, but I enjoy listening to her straightforward, no nonsense approach, and she is not all that bad to look at. I mentioned to Martin Chuck once that he should hire her, but Mrs. Chuck took exception to that although it did bring forth a smile.
I also seem to recall Martin Chuck having played around with Paige Spiranic....er I meant played a round.

Back