Sizzle’s Grandaddy Prep

j_sizzle9

Hosel Rocket
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6-8ish
I’ve finally had some time to let this once in a lifetime experience sink in! All I can say WOW and Thank You to THP and Callaway!

I made it through a very busy and stressful time at work which ended yesterday and I can finally focus on what is in store and my prep for the Grandaddy.

The main area that I feel my game can improve is around the greens out to about 70 yds. I throw way too many shots away with my awful short game.

My prep will focus on 2 parts:

1. Improving technique and simply getting better. I am going to do this my taking a series of short game lessons from my local pro and spending the time practicing. I feel this will help me with knowing what to do and being to able to recall these tips and techniques when the time comes.

2. I will work on my course management. This will involve multiple facets. 1st I’ll attempt to play smart and trying to put myself in situations to succeed. What I mean by this is not trying to bomb a 3 wood into a par 5 knowing I likely can’t get there only to leave myself a 30 year pitch shot. Or hitting driver on a shortish par 4 only to leave myself a half wedge. The 2nd aspect will be to swallow my pride and use the TX wedge and 3 wood to chip and roll balls up onto the green. While this might always get the ball closest it will take the big number off the table.

I’ll update this post of additional focuses come up. I’ll also check back inperiodically to update my progress.

Short game and course management are always areas I try to focus on for game improvement.... look forward to hearing how you go about this endeavor. Good luck

Great items to work on. I was wondering what you would pick since your game is already so tight.

You can’t hit the half wedge if you don’t put one in the bag.....just sayin.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Good luck with your practice man. We're rooting for ya!

I'm looking forward to following along. You've got this!!

My home club member guest is going on this weekend. Coming off of a very busy time at work the last two months with zero time practice or playing, so expectations for good results are not very high.

1st 3 matches were yesterday and the results were to be expected. Hit some great shots, hit some horrible shots and drove home that my focus for prep for the Granddaddy needs to be short game. I am making very inconsistent contact (that’s a nice way to say chunk/skull) on my pitches.

The long game was pretty good. I drove the ball really good. Definitely need to work on the irons and ball striking but it was solid considering not much golf in the last 2-3 months.

I made 4 birdies in our 3 matches so that was a good feeling as well.

Playing in a competitive environment like this will be great Granddaddy Prep. We are middle of the pack after 1st 3 matches and have played all the top teams. Going to try and come out hot today and see if we can make some noise.

Day 2 was solid. Team went 1-0-1.

I made 3 birdies on the 18 holes played for a total of 7 thru 45 holes over 2 days.

The problem is that I was also in my pocket about the same amount of times and this was almost exclusively due to poor short game.

This weekend was a great way to honestly assess my game and it is clear that my thoughts going in about short game work was correct. I know where to focus over the next month and a half and I’ll put in the work to be better by December.

You just need to put in some reps and those touch shots will come back to you.

As someone else who always has time between rounds this is the first skill to go

Getting out this afternoon in a nice little 18 hole team event. Stroke play - alt shot on front 9 and best ball on back nice.

I think this type of event is perfect Grandaddy prep. Pressure of a partner relying on you and having to perform. Only difference is this won’t be match pla

Is your partner similar in skill to you?

Is your partner similar in skill to you?

My partner is a 14 index. He has potential and should be better IMO but he has a tense cat to compound mistakes with bad decisions.

Well, then, that will also be a good component, since you never know who you'll be paired with.

Getting out this afternoon in a nice little 18 hole team event. Stroke play - alt shot on front 9 and best ball on back nice.

I think this type of event is perfect Grandaddy prep. Pressure of a partner relying on you and having to perform. Only difference is this won’t be match pla
Good stuff man! Let us know how it goes!

I’ll be posting in the live round thread!

49A64CBA-6201-494B-893D-04F945E46A6B.jpeg
Had a fun day today with great weather. Hit some really good shots. Need to work on course management to limit the big numbers.

After the round I spent about 2 hours in the short game area and something just clicked. I’m hoping these feels will cure some of my inconsistent contact issues and I can keep improving to dial my short game in.

I ended the session with about 50 shots from 15-30 yards all within 15-20 feet. While not great, it is a vast improvement on my chunk and thin problems. And as I continue to put in the work I’ll get better at learning the rollout of each different type of shot.

View attachment 8912741
Had a fun day today with great weather. Hit some really good shots. Need to work on course management to limit the big numbers.

After the round I spent about 2 hours in the short game area and something just clicked. I’m hoping these feels will cure some of my inconsistent contact issues and I can keep improving to dial my short game in.

I ended the session with about 50 shots from 15-30 yards all within 15-20 feet. While not great, it is a vast improvement on my chunk and thin problems. And as I continue to put in the work I’ll get better at learning the rollout of each different type of shot.

Chipping and putting will help you a ton in a few weeks. Find a stock shot you trust and roll with it.

Thanks for moving to correct forum mods...sorry ab that.

The plan is to get back out to TPC Louisiana for 18 holes tomorrow. This the site of the Zurich Classic of New Orleans, the PGA Tour's only regular season team event.

This should be a great test of where my game is and give me some idea on if my recent short game practice is working.

I also plan to spend some time in their short game area and continue to work on things.

I'll post my round tomorrow in the live round thread and follow up here with some overall comments and on how the short game work went.

Last edited:
Rock on! Looking forward to following along tomorrow and the rest of the way!

Did some short game practice this am. Contact has been much better. Working on distance control.

Did some short game practice this am. Contact has been much better. Working on distance control.

That’s the key my man. Those greens can get loose on you.

Back