SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Smartwatch

Would be pretty sweet to see something like this paired with Arccos or Shot Link. License the tech out and have the best of both worlds.

Thanks @Molten solid initial look. The screen resolution and content are incredible. Be nice if as you become more familiar you discover a way to automatically track shots. I have a watch that does and as others have said it really does come in handy whenever anyone in my foursome is looking for a ball.
Which watch that has auto shot detection are you using?

Which watch that has auto shot detection are you using?
Garmin approach s60. It automatically detects each shot and asks which club I hit after each swing.

That is one heck of a first post @Molten!

Garmin approach s60. It automatically detects each shot and asks which club I hit after each swing.
I have an S60 around here somewhere and I don’t recall that feature, but I don’t think I’d use it if it functions like you said. I don’t like that much interaction with my watch

Does it also allow you to track Fairways and bunkers in the scorecard functionality?

No scorecard is minimal with score, fairway and putts I believe

The hole overview with GPS distance is AWESOME. I had a few layups short of water and got yards to a safe landing area and the distance for the next shot. Snappy and user friendly implementation.

The LX5 is a rock solid watch/hand held hybrid. I only have two criticisms so far but I’m hopeful some settings can fix them. First, the auto setting on the lighting comes up dark at first and adjusts over a second or two based on the sunlight. It’s not a big deal and I think you can disable it (so let’s hold this one because maybe it’s not anything). Two, it vibrates asking if you finished a hole with the auto hole change. But often it asked me as I was walking UP to the green for the first time. It’s the only time it vibrates, so it’s weird. And annoying. I can’t find a setting for it but I really hope I’m just missing it.

That’s about it on the bad stuff. EVERYTHING else was smooth on the first round.

So my last update got a little buried by a little event that was going on so I wanted to spring this to the top of the new posts. I’ll be adding more thoughts later today’s round (maybe nine, maybe 18).

So my last update got a little buried by a little event that was going on so I wanted to spring this to the top of the new posts. I’ll be adding more thoughts later today’s round (maybe nine, maybe 18).

Were you able to dive into settings a bit in regards to the lighting?

SkyCaddie’s new LX5 GPS smartwatch might be end up being one of the watches that change what a golf smartwatch is and how it performs and the features that golfers demand. It’s got the functionality of a handheld in a relatively compact smartwatch. And the controls and touch screen are snappy fast, which is new to me.

SkyCaddie sent in an LX5 for review and it certainly appears to be the most feature-rich golf watch I’ve even used having spent a few days with it.

The first thing you notice right out of the box is that the screen is really bright and crisp. I took a low light picture (below) to show you exactly what I mean. The resolution is really next level clear and that picture is not even on the brightest setting

View attachment 8967583

It has your basic views from a GPS golf watch, namely the front middle and back numbers along with the hole and par.

View attachment 8967584

But you also have some advanced hole view options that you can drag and locate your distances to a specific spot on the course. The “ideal” drive in the below image of 268 might be (read, is) a bit outside my wheelhouse so I pulled it back a bit for something more realistic in the next image

View attachment 8967585
View attachment 8967586

You can also get a feel for the real yardage by taking a look at the green and moving the pin to its location on the green.

View attachment 8967587

And you can track your steps and heart rate as the LX5 adds a bit of fitness to your golf GPS.

View attachment 8967588
View attachment 8967589

Lastly, you have several watch faces to make it look a bit more your style off the course. I’ll be taking the below face for a spin as I wear it as my everyday watch for the time being.

View attachment 8967590
I’m excited to discuss it with you all. It’s maidan voyage for me is tomorrow but I recognize some of you out there may already have one. Let me know what you think or any questions you might have.

Nice initial thoughts G

How is battery life when you change brightness settings

Were you able to dive into settings a bit in regards to the lighting?
Yeah, I was able to make it always on "High" and that seems to do the trick. I'm sure it hurts the battery life but I haven't had any issues with the battery drain for a round.

How’s the battery life if you only use it for a watch?

Nice initial thoughts G

How is battery life when you change brightness settings
The battery life on the watch during a round (even with the highest setting) has been great. It cautions you to make sure to charge before each round, which I've done, and I have never had less than 50% battery after a round. For example, the watch is currently at 66% - I charged it last night and played 18 holes today. Not really an issue, although it may not last two rounds and two days off the charger, if that makes sense.
How’s the battery life if you only use it for a watch?
I wore it as my daily watch for four days and had no issues with the battery during that time. I did stop that trial to fully charge it before the round because I think that is more important of a test. I will say, it isn't my favorite watch to wear every day because its pretty big. And while it does track heartrate and steps, it doesn't sync to any of the accounts that I use to track this information so it was basically wasted long term.

I contacted SkyCaddie to ask what happens to the watch if you dont have a membership. Since I don’t have an account, they wouldn’t answer me. Is it still usable at all? Just as a GPS?

I contacted SkyCaddie to ask what happens to the watch if you dont have a membership. Since I don’t have an account, they wouldn’t answer me. Is it still usable at all? Just as a GPS?
Honestly I'm not sure, but I have a guess. The good news is that it comes with three years (or 5 if you order that version) of membership with the purchase. My best guess of what happens without a membership is that it won't sync with the SkyCaddie servers, which means no watch updates and no course updates. Again, that's just my guess.

This looks like a nice watch. My dad has the handheld unit and likes it. I'm more of a compact person, so I'd probably go for the watch over the handheld.

There is such a drastic disconnect between the hardware of the LX5 (which has been pretty darn good) and the app and computer software on the backend (which is painful at its best). The watch checks nearly all of the boxes, minus a few minor annoyances I am trying to get rid of with settings, but the software feels like windows 98.

There is such a drastic disconnect between the hardware of the LX5 (which has been pretty darn good) and the app and computer software on the backend (which is painful at its best). The watch checks nearly all of the boxes, minus a few minor annoyances I am trying to get rid of with settings, but the software feels like windows 98.

That is super interesting. The watch looks so good. Has a ton of features. Hearing the software is yuck is not ideal. But not the end of the world I guess.

That is super interesting. The watch looks so good. Has a ton of features. Hearing the software is yuck is not ideal. But not the end of the world I guess.
I agree with this take. You can set the watch to sync and update everything over WiFi, which completely bypasses the bad software (after the initial painful setup process) and I highly recommend that approach.

If you are buying the watch for the features of the watch, it’s a good buy. If you are including the backend score tracking or software features in your reason for buying, that will be a disappointment and I would basically guarantee it.

So I turned all vibrations off for this round to try to cure the seemingly random vibrations asking if I finished a hole (sometimes before I reached the green). Huge, epic, colossal mistake. The prompts asking if I have finished a hole still happen but without a vibration - sure, whatever that’s fine. But it turns out if you DON’T RESPOND IT DOES THREE LONG VIBRATIONS ASKING IF YOU ARE DONE GOLFING!!! What kind of logic is that?!

Worse yet, it seems based on time so it can happen anytime. Once I was standing over a putt and another I was grabbing a club to hit. The big “All done?” Style question came up maybe 6-7 times today and it was super jarring. No, SkyCaddie, I’m not done after two holes. Just assume I’m playing 18 - when I’m more than 999 yards away from a hole, go ahead and ask.

My guess (based on the stats I see) is that these questions are so it can accurately track your pace on each hole but I don’t care about that as much as not being distracted randomly with a prompt I can’t ignore. The implementation is really close with the LX5 but that part needs to go away and yesterday.

Oh no. That would drive me bonkers. It’s not my fault that people are in front of me and it is taking longer on a hole.

Oh no. That would drive me bonkers. It’s not my fault that people are in front of me and it is taking longer on a hole.
It’s not tied to the time on the hole, but how long the “did you finish hole 7?” prompt sits on the screen but it’s ABSOLUTELY annoying as heck. So it makes you respond to silly prompts every hole or other prompts as it just randomly as it tries to turn off. Man, that needs to change.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB

That’s a really big deal breaker right there

That’s a really big deal breaker right there
Such an easy fix too, they just have to program it in. Firmware updates are stupid easy to install on the user side so now it’s up to them.

Back