SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Smartwatch

Such an easy fix too, they just have to program it in. Firmware updates are stupid easy to install on the user side so now it’s up to them.

Yup which is why it’s weird it’s so outdated

I’m starting to look into a GPS watch and this one was on my radar until I saw the software issues. I have an older Golf Buddy handheld which works well enough but it has software issues of its own. I keep it in my pocket between shots and it often loses what hole I’m on, or goes to the score keeping screen which I don’t use. Do most watches have some of these issues? I only want to see the distance to the green and to hazards. I’m not interested in the other shot tracking capabilities.

I’m starting to look into a GPS watch and this one was on my radar until I saw the software issues. I have an older Golf Buddy handheld which works well enough but it has software issues of its own. I keep it in my pocket between shots and it often loses what hole I’m on, or goes to the score keeping screen which I don’t use. Do most watches have some of these issues? I only want to see the distance to the green and to hazards. I’m not interested in the other shot tracking capabilities.
I’ve never experienced anything like this before but to be clear, it’s great other than this whole problem. There are plenty that will just you just green and hazard measurements. The LX5 Is definitely the Cadillac and has the features of a handheld, which is awesome I have to admit.

Any of the Garmin golf watches will work just fine for your purposes, and don't require an annual subscription for the data. They're not perfect with shot detection (no watch/handheld is), but good enough, and the phone app is not bad. They do have scoring and other stuff, but you can turn those off/not use them.

I’m writing about the LX5 and reflecting on my time with it. So much good. Some improvement warranted. And it’s easy to focus on the single irritating feature (and I’m guilty of that here) but there is way more good than bad. And the hardware is spot on and snappy.

I’m writing about the LX5 and reflecting on my time with it. So much good. Some improvement warranted. And it’s easy to focus on the single irritating feature (and I’m guilty of that here) but there is way more good than bad. And the hardware is spot on and snappy.
The speed is super interesting and I am hopeful a firmware update is coming

The speed is super interesting and I am hopeful a firmware update is coming
I may be in a minority but I see the learning curve on the watch to be an amazing thing. There is so much information that it takes time to learn to maneuver through it but it’s there if you want and stays hidden when you don’t.

Reactions: JB

great write-ups if they update the firmware I would definitely consider

great write-ups if they update the firmware I would definitely consider
From your lips to their ear, please.

Disappointing you cannot either manually or auto track shots though. Big drawback for me

Disappointing you cannot either manually or auto track shots though. Big drawback for me
Track shots how? Do you mean “how far did I hit that one?” Or like arccos?

Like you can in the Skycaddie handheld models where you can track your shots and then it is displayed on the website and your club distances are captured. But also the garmin s62 has auto shot tracking like Arccos, so it is possible but not featured in this watch

Like you can in the Skycaddie handheld models where you can track your shots and then it is displayed on the website and your club distances are captured. But also the garmin s62 has auto shot tracking like Arccos, so it is possible but not featured in this watch
I haven't seen that functionality but you can mark a shot and track how far it went with two actions on the screen. It is a swipe left to the HoleVue screen and then a tap of the golf ball icon. I don't think its exactly what you want, but some tracking exists.

@Molten if they got the firmware updated where would you rank this in terms of other wearables you’ve used?

@Molten if they got the firmware updated where would you rank this in terms of other wearables you’ve used?
If we are going with ALL wearables, it's high but not the top but it really isn't trying to compete with all wearables. If I'm comparing it to just the GPS watches I've had, it might be the best one IF there is a firmware update to address my pet peeve. Best screen, least input lag, great battery. Watch great - backend software bad, but after the setup is done you can ignore that backend stuff.

If we are going with ALL wearables, it's high but not the top but it really isn't trying to compete with all wearables. If I'm comparing it to just the GPS watches I've had, it might be the best one IF there is a firmware update to address my pet peeve. Best screen, least input lag, great battery. Watch great - backend software bad, but after the setup is done you can ignore that backend stuff.

Got it, thanks for the feedback, definitely interested in this one

Got it, thanks for the feedback, definitely interested in this one
I will add that I am no fan of the warranty. They lock you into a 3 or 5 year membership but only warranty their product for 6 months... seems like a bad, one-sided relationship.

I will add that I am no fan of the warranty. They lock you into a 3 or 5 year membership but only warranty their product for 6 months... seems like a bad, one-sided relationship.
I’m pretty surprised it’s not at least a year with that subscription

WTF

and back out

Back