Skygolf SX400 GPS

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release (a very long press release)

SkyGolf®, maker of SkyCaddie®, the most trusted Rangefinder in Golf, has released the new SkyCaddie SX400, designed to give golfers the same great features found in their popular SX500 model in a more compact size. With a full high-definition 4-inch touch screen driven by an ultra-fast multi-core processor, the SkyCaddie SX400 joins the SX500 to deliver the most powerful way to measure yardage while providing the very “best view” in golf.

Last year, SkyGolf introduced the 20th anniversary limited edition SX500, with the fastest processor, best battery life and the largest and most vivid display in the industry. My Golf Spy awarded the SX500 its “Most Wanted” status. Jacqui Surman, SkyGolf Senior VP and COO said, “After 3 wins and many top ten finishes in recent months on the European Seniors Staysure Tour, players are now telling us they no longer need their laser or even a yardage book as the SX500 provides all the information they need in a faster and easier way so they can focus on playing their best golf.”

According to first-time user, L. Nicoll, “The SX500 talks the language of golf and answers the questions you were about to ask.”

5bcf2883b06b9278fa5fa2b2836f4f3e.jpeg
“Now, we have harnessed all the advanced stroke-saving features of the SX500 and designed the SX400 for golfers wanting a more compact version of this popular device,” continues Surman. “The graphics and interface of the SX500 and SX400 are incredibly appealing and really give you every bit of information tour pros get from their caddies to play your best golf. With the launch of the SX500 and now the more compact SX400, we believe the SX Series is the best-priced, easiest to use, and most feature-packed GPS rangefinders on the markettoday.”

The dynamic features of the SX400 are easy to access and to use, with a 4-inch, intuitive touch screen providing brilliant, outdoor readable graphics. A host of automated features such as auto-course selection, auto-hole advance and auto-zoom make either the SX500 or 400 almost touch free from the parking lot to the 18th green. The brilliant HD displays of the SX Series combined with HD quality course graphics, only available from SkyCaddie, provide the best views of the most-reliable information in the game to allow you to play your best golf.

The SX400 comes in a highly water-resistant, sleek & compact design that’s easy to hold and fits nicely in a cup holder of a golf cart. Boasting an exceptional battery life of over 20 hours, or more than 3 rounds, the SX400 is ready for extended playing time just like its big-brother, the SX500. Using multi-constellation navigation satellite systems, the SX400 and SX500 provide enhanced accuracy and overall better performance under tough conditions or tree cover.

The powerful processors in the SX500 and the SX400 drive SkyCaddie’s new “Dynamic HoleVue™”, which automatically re-orients the entire golf hole from your position to the green as you progress from the tee. So, in addition to SkyCaddie’s patented IntelliGreen technology, golfers can now see the entire hole from their point-of-view.

As with the SX500, the SX400 includes a host of “patented” technology and stroke-saving features developed by SkyCaddie to help its customers play golf like a Pro.

Both the SX500 and SX400 feature the new Dynamic HoleVue with IntelliPath Technology that provides the distance to target as well as every other relevant attributes of the course, along and beyond your target line, without aiming a laser. So, now without wasting time to make multiple measurements, such as with a laser, you get distances instantly to all intervening hazards, end of fairway and other shot saving information in an instant to stay focused on your game.

With the SkyCaddie® SX500 or SX400, you learn quickly how far you hit each club. Customize RangeVue® by entering your personal club yardages. Then as you play, you will see your club range next to the RangeVue ring on every part of the course for much improved shot-making to fairways, layups and greens. RangeVue® with Club Ranges provides added confidence on every shot to avoid hazards and dial-in approach shots for more birdie putts.

SkyCaddie PinPoint® will obsolete lasers by providing the ability to get distances to the pin while getting all the benefits of IntelliGreen. Simply enter pin sheet or zone information into the SkyCaddie® SX500 or SX400 to get distances to the hole, front, center and back PLUS the depth and true shape green... AND all of this information is on one screen that changes automatically based on your current position and angle of approach from anywhere on the course…whether you can see the flag or not. With the SX Series, you get more information, from more places, easier and faster and without aiming!

The SkyCaddie® SX500 and SX400 also provide digital scoring options for Stroke and Stableford with handicapping and tracks total putts and fairways hit in a full nine-hole scorecard in portrait mode. Turn either of the SX Series to the left or right and the AutoView feature displays a full 9-hole Digital Scorecard instantly in landscape mode.

Wi-Fi connectivity cuts the cord to streamline application updates and allows golfers to get the latest course information on demand without connecting to a computer. Just like the SX500, the SkyCaddie® SX400 comes preloaded and “ready-to-play” with over 35,000 ground-verified, error-corrected courses without the short-cuts taken by the competition. Only SkyCaddie walks each course to record thousands of points with sub-meter precision because we know that you cannot trust your club if you cannot trust your distances. Knowing and trusting critical distances lets you manage your game and eliminate those high scores from your scorecard.
52ad1594953cf20ab84437d2fb40aa9c.jpeg
More features of the SX500 and SX400 include: Shot Distance Measurement to help track how far the ball goes and help golfers to learn club distances; Target List View to give a quick list of all the targets ahead of on the hole; and Tee Box Selection, Gender Selection, Dual Green Support with a yards or meters option, Stat Tracking and a North Indicator.

As with all SkyGolf e-golf products the SkyCaddie SX Series is built around the SkyGolf 360 platform, providing unmatched wireless connectivity for golfers to upload performance data captured during their round. SkyGolf 360 allows golfers to keep all performance data regardless of whether it comes from a rangefinder, a swing sensor, a performance tracker or a launch monitor in one place rather than scattered among various competitors with incompatible platforms. A single platform is not only to the golfer’s advantage, but it is also to the advantage of a teacher, PGA Professional or reseller to be able to offer all the tools a golfer can need to improve their performance from one source with the confidence their customers are getting the very best solution.

So, whether you prefer the largest and most-brilliant display in golf with the SX500 or its new “little brother” in the more compact SX400, you can be assured of having the most-powerful rangefinder in golf from the most-trusted brand in golf, SkyCaddie.”

The SkyCaddie SX400 retails for $299.95 in the U.S. and comes with the introductory offer of a 1-year Double Eagle Worldwide Membership (a $59.95 value). After the first year, memberships start at just $30 a year.

For more information, visit www.skygolf.com.

Well, that’s not a terrible price. It’s not something I’d go for, but I’m sure some golfers will enjoy it. Personally I prefer my phone for that, just one less thing to think about bringing to the course.

Very long indeed. Is the market for these still robust?

Interesting that the subscription model still works here when others are allowing free updates...maybe not as frequently though so I could be wrong.

The biggest turnoff, in my mind, is the annual subscription.

I have the SX500 & really don't have a problem with the size. I just wish it had a cover that was not hard plastic, so that it doesn't slide around in the cart. I don't have a holder for it. I guess the 400 is smaller as to be able to fit in the cup holders more easily (y)

The unit sounds very solid but the subscription piece is not something I would really care to do.

I have an SX500 and I think the subscription is worth the price of admission. Especially for someone who plays a lot of different or new courses. Best gps on the market in terms of providing easy to read data on the entire hole.

Now, don't get me wrong, they're not perfect. I think their UI could use an overhaul and I'd love to see them partner or be acquired by Arccos. Then it would be the perfect unit.

I have an SX500 and I think the subscription is worth the price of admission. Especially for someone who plays a lot of different or new courses. Best gps on the market in terms of providing easy to read data on the entire hole.

Now, don't get me wrong, they're not perfect. I think their UI could use an overhaul and I'd love to see them partner or be acquired by Arccos. Then it would be the perfect unit.

Have you compared it to something like 18birdies or Hole19?

While it has a few more features, but when breaking down the price structure vs that of phone and other models, its not even in the same realm. If their UI was just amazing, I could see it, but right now, they are providing the same distances as every other manufacturer or developer, at a pricing model that is 20 years passed its prime.

While it has a few more features, but when breaking down the price structure vs that of phone and other models, its not even in the same realm. If their UI was just amazing, I could see it, but right now, they are providing the same distances as every other manufacturer or developer, at a pricing model that is 20 years passed its prime.
I see the ability to move the pin location as a big plus. Things may have changed, but last I was aware, there wasn't another dedicated gps that could do that. Also, for me, I'm not a fan of using my phone as a gps. Just kills my battery.

Have you compared it to something like 18birdies or Hole19?
I don't like using my phone for gps. Kills my battery and it doesn't seem to be as fast.

I don't like using my phone for gps. Kills my battery and it doesn't seem to be as fast.
Makes sense. I was just curious as to why you chose one over the other.

I have the SX500 & really don't have a problem with the size. I just wish it had a cover that was not hard plastic, so that it doesn't slide around in the cart. I don't have a holder for it. I guess the 400 is smaller as to be able to fit in the cup holders more easily (y)
The older models like the SGXw had a soft rubber case that was awesome. It had a detachable clip on the back too.

Makes way too much sense, honestly.

Makes sense. I was just curious as to why you chose one over the other.
The intelligreen feature was the deciding factor for me. Being able to estimate distance to the pin to within a couple of yards. Apparently, there's a way for courses to upload daily pin locations but I have yet to play a course that does that.

I was all in on having one earlier this year, and it was pretty much just wasted money. Rangefinder already in play, it just added an extra element that benefited me only a handful of times during a round and after about five rounds of use, it now just sits collecting dust.

The product concept is excellent, and the execution is very strong, but I understand the trepidation from many with the subscription. You may as well assume the retail price is an extra 120 bucks which is the three year plan for the subscription.

Cool that they made a less robust version of the 500 for better price. That makes sense.

I see the ability to move the pin location as a big plus. Things may have changed, but last I was aware, there wasn't another dedicated gps that could do that. Also, for me, I'm not a fan of using my phone as a gps. Just kills my battery.

on most you can tap any point of the screen and get the distance, so moving flag for yardage is no big deal.
I understand the battery part, at most courses I play, they have USB chargers, but a simple battery bank for $10 ends that issue too.

Great option to add to their line, especially those that don't want the 500 version because of it's size. THe HOLEVUE features are really intriguing to me, since I am not always in the fairway :cool:. For those that like to keep it in their cupholder, or just want a smaller version, it's a great option for a decent price.

on most you can tap any point of the screen and get the distance, so moving flag for yardage is no big deal.
I understand the battery part, at most courses I play, they have USB chargers, but a simple battery bank for $10 ends that issue too.
A preference thing probably. Less time on the phone means less tempted to deal with distractions outside of the round. Similar reason why I haven't really taken Arccos all too seriously yet. In any event, while I am ok with the membership, I doubt that they are nearly where they once were in terms of membership as they were 10 years ago. I do fear that if they do not re-evaluate their business model, they may not be around too much longer.

I am not a fan of the subscription model so I won't have any further interest in this

If I was looking for a GPS unit like this I would most likely go with a Garmin as I have had my watch now for a number of years and had no issues

I don't use it so have no idea how accurate it would be, but my Garmin S4 watch has the option to move the pin

Really like everything about the SX500 and SX400 especially because of it's size but the annual subscription is just an uphill battle considering that most other GSP systems do not have one. The Dynamic HoleVue with IntelliPath is a nice feature along with IntelliGreen and other things that you can do with this GPS system, but for me, I just want to know the distance from here to there. Part of the challenge of golf is having to figure out what you need to hit, and once it lands on the green to read the green and all of the breaks in order to hole it. For some who wants an automated system of telling you where to hit, where to land and this is the line for your putt, this would be ideal.

I have a SX500 and absolutely love it. I purchased a GPS Quick Clip for cart mounting, and it has worked out pretty well. The subscription model is a bit archaic, but I'll deal with it so I can keep using my SkyCaddie as designed.

Having just started using Arccos sensors myself, I would love for SkyCaddie to integrate Arccos into their units!

Boasting an exceptional battery life of over 20 hours, or more than 3 rounds...

Who do they expect is gonna use this thing? JB Holmes?

May dad ended up getting the cart clip accessory (like $30) on amazon. It makes sense and is a nice add on if you mostly ride in carts.

Back