Skylinks GC, Long Beach, CA

fracisco

Reaction score
Handicap
Got out onto Skylinks GC, yesterday. It's a public course in Long Beach, CA, that offers good rates for residents (which I am not). It being the holiday week in L.A., tee times can be hard to come by.

My dad and I were paired up with a threesome (yes, fivesomes are normal around here on popular public courses), and got off the tee box about 35 minutes later than our appointed tee time. We both wanted to play this course, as it is about halfway between where we live.

The day was beautiful, with snow capping the San Gabriel mountains 60 miles north, and the San Bernadino mountains, 75 miles east. Clear, light breeze, and temps in the mid-50's to mid-60's. There is a driving range, two putting greens, and a couple of chipping bunkers as well. Small, stripped down pro shop and clubhouse, which is fine with me.

Overall, the course was in great condition, save some large puddles that had not drained completely from the recent rains that we have received. The fairway turf was for the most part firm, and the ball would roll if you kept on the fairway. The greens were in good shape, and played faster than we would have thought. The bunkers were in fine shape, with the sand lighter than we would have expected.

We got around in about 5:15, which isn't too bad considering the heavy crowds. We were both impressed by the course, and will definitely consider it for a future round.

I recently played El Dorado GC, another Long Beach muni, and I found Skylinks to be in better shape, and more fun to play.

I've heard good things about Skylinks. How long did your round take in total? Heard it's better than El Dorado, but also more crowded.

About 5 hours, 15 minutes. It was packed, being a semi holiday for a lot of people. We teed off around 11:30 am ( half hour late), and finished about 4:45 pm. Cart path only, too.

Back