Slice or pull with driver - Video included

Carter

Reaction score
Handicap
Just after a few drills I can practice at the range to fix my slice/pull with my driver! I'm assuming its my swing plane more than anything else.

I also have a better quality view of a slow motion shot with a sand wedge. My irons/wedges aren't as bad there still definitely is a small fade/pull there.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Overall you have a solid move...nice work! Do you ever practice your short game? With that type of swing I would think you could be lower then an 18 with some work around the greens.

When it comes to pulls and slices remember that the two misses come from a combination of possibly an outside to in path with either a square clubface (pulled shot) or a an open clubface (pull slice or slice/ fade). Also, wedges and driver are completely the opposite when it comes to directional control due to the loft of the club. The driver has the least amount of loft on the clubface which puts more side spin on the ball thus influencing how the ball curves. The sand wedge either has the most or second most amount of loft on the clubface and will put more back spin on the ball vs. side spin. Woods you can get away with missing contact moreso then you can with missing squaring the clubface. Your wedges are opposite! You can get away with the clubface being off of square but you can't miss contact as the miss will be larger. Agree???

Here is what I would do...start with your setup! Your hands hang too low and your upper body is open. You can see it in the video by looking at your forearms and seeing that if you took a club shaft at address that the shaft would not match your toe line and that your shoulders would be left of target. This is the root of your steeper downswing and should help with your pulls. The rest is all about getting the clubface to close a little more through impact because if the ball is curving right then your clubface is open (or you hit it out towards the toe of the club). Through impact, try to get the back of your left hand turning down towards the ground a little more and see if that creates a draw spin.....if so, then you are on the right track and now have to dial it in.

GolfTEC
Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional

Overall you have a solid move...nice work! Do you ever practice your short game? With that type of swing I would think you could be lower then an 18 with some work around the greens.

When it comes to pulls and slices remember that the two misses come from a combination of possibly an outside to in path with either a square clubface (pulled shot) or a an open clubface (pull slice or slice/ fade). Also, wedges and driver are completely the opposite when it comes to directional control due to the loft of the club. The driver has the least amount of loft on the clubface which puts more side spin on the ball thus influencing how the ball curves. The sand wedge either has the most or second most amount of loft on the clubface and will put more back spin on the ball vs. side spin. Woods you can get away with missing contact moreso then you can with missing squaring the clubface. Your wedges are opposite! You can get away with the clubface being off of square but you can't miss contact as the miss will be larger. Agree???

Here is what I would do...start with your setup! Your hands hang too low and your upper body is open. You can see it in the video by looking at your forearms and seeing that if you took a club shaft at address that the shaft would not match your toe line and that your shoulders would be left of target. This is the root of your steeper downswing and should help with your pulls. The rest is all about getting the clubface to close a little more through impact because if the ball is curving right then your clubface is open (or you hit it out towards the toe of the club). Through impact, try to get the back of your left hand turning down towards the ground a little more and see if that creates a draw spin.....if so, then you are on the right track and now have to dial it in.

GolfTEC
Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional

Thankyou for the feedback I will take this advice to the driving range and post the results!

I think my high scores come from putting and the occasional blow-out hole that all starts with an OB or wet tee shot. I recorded putts for the first time playing 9 holes the other week and had 20 putts and shot a 45, 3 putts are far too common for me. On that note, what are some good drills for distance control when putting and what should i be aiming for in terms of average putts per round?

Thanks

Back