NorthVanMike

Reaction score
Handicap
has anyone seen any of the stuff Slighter produces? they're another small business custom putter builder and their products are quite nice looking.

i see they have a lot of traditional styles they can make for you:

Tim_Dodge_2.jpg

or some funky ones:

Brad_Fellers_1.jpg

anyways, any feedback or experience you may have had with them, let me know.

I have used these and although they are nice, the cost just is too much to swallow. There are tons of great milled putters out there like SSB or Edell to get me to spend that kind of money.

I have seen his work and some of his putters are great but when you work with him one on one for a true custom putter you may be surprised with his price estimates. They are very, very high.

Does the bottom one come with different attachments? I know Metal is doing that too.

I've never heard of them before... but they are some nice looking putters.

dunno?

and Dan, i see you're a member at the forum over at Slighter.

anyways, i'm going to get a quote to see what's up.

I am a member at Slighter. I havent been active in a long time. A few years back we went back and forth over some designs and while I thought the work was great my specs, finish, and design came in at 600 dollars.

I've never heard of them before... but they are some nice looking putters.

TCT, check ebay... they pop up every now and then if youre looking to try out a model

I purchased a custom Slighter about 3 years ago and it was the beginning of a great friendship that lasts to this day. As mentioned, the process of planning a putter us a pure treat, with Tom. He makes you feel like your putter is the only one that he is even working on.
Tom is a self-taught machinist, for the most part and is incredible at his craft. I spent a day with him, a year and a half ago and was blown away by the work he puts into his putters, even after they are roughed on a CNC mill. Being able to see that also gave me great insight for future projects.
Tom's prices are not that far out, if you are getting a spec'd putter that doesn't have wild alterations. He isn't cheap, by any means, don't get me wrong. I believe that my putter, a LN Tacoma, with the custom neck and such, set me back right at $400. His base price has increased, a bit, due to a huge jump in SS prices, but if you are not looking for any major alterations, you might be surprised at his prices.
In truth, each putter is going to be a different cat and the price will vary. I am thrilled with my LN Tacoma and if I was in the same spot again, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase that putter, again.
If you see one that you like, take the time to fill out the spec sheet and get a quote. Tom is usually very quick to reply and will answer any and all questions that you have.
Oh, and on that bottom putter that is pictured, that is one of the sweetest rolling putters that I have ever held in my hands. I had the great opportunity to test out the Needle with the Spiderweb engraving on it, for a couple of weeks. With the amount of aluminum in the head, I expected a feel similar to a Futura or Grace MOI putter. Man, was I in for a treat. It has a feel more like a carbon steel blade, solid as all get out.
I could go on and on, but I have already said enough. If you have the opportunity to work with Tom, don't discount it. The experience is one you won't soon forget.
Man, after reading this, you would almost forget that I am the guy who is doing all of the custom work on Sunset Beach Customs, eh? If you can't give honest praise to competitors who deserve it, what does that say about you as a company? Credit where credit is due.
Thanks,
LaMont in AZ
MannKrafted Customs
Sunset Beach Custom Putters

That's a heck of a nice testimonial LaMont -- thanks for the perspective. His putters look awfully good. If you're in a position to justify the expense I can certainly see the appeal.

Spendy or not, they're beautiful. I love machined parts, and really admire the craftsmen that make them.

A good mill and lathe are both on my tool wish list (something old and Spanish or American made preferably)

He isn't cheap, by any means, don't get me wrong. I believe that my putter, a LN Tacoma, with the custom neck and such, set me back right at $400. His base price has increased, a bit, due to a huge jump in SS prices, but if you are not looking for any major alterations, you might be surprised at his prices.

just got a quote for $399. this putter. i ask if the weld could be cleaned up so the waves of the bead are smoothed out:

Michael_Manolides_2.jpg

Michael_Manolides_3.jpg

just got a quote for $399. this putter. i ask if the weld could be cleaned up so the waves of the bead are smoothed out:

Michael_Manolides_2.jpg

Michael_Manolides_3.jpg

man, that thing looks AWESOME

Michael_Manolides_2.jpg

Michael_Manolides_3.jpg

Purdy, NVM. I like the hosel on that too. Are you going to pull the trigger?

whats the head weight on that one? 350?

Michael_Manolides_2.jpg

Michael_Manolides_3.jpg

So are you going to pick one up?? $400 seems like a lot for a putter to me personally, but then again I gamed my $80 putter for over 10 years.

So are you going to pick one up?? $400 seems like a lot for a putter to me personally, but then again I gamed my $80 putter for over 10 years.

Would you hesitate to pull the trigger on a $400 driver if it gave you an extra 30 yards? :eyepoke: :D

$400 putter, $400 driver. Too rich for me.

Would you hesitate to pull the trigger on a $400 driver if it gave you an extra 30 yards? :eyepoke: :D

Yes I would, I would wait 6 months and pay less than half of that. However an extra 30 yards pulled left in the trees doesn't help me at all. I would take the extra money and get some lessons as most of the time it is operator error with my game

Yeah, the extra 30 yards into the woods wouldn't help me either. :D

But it is a valid argument. (hear me out here...)

Plenty of folks won't hesitate to drop that kind of scratch on a new driver every year or two, but balk at the price of a putter. Putting is ≈30% of your total score in a game, and the one club that so many golfers just can't bear to spend good money on.

Plenty of folks won't hesitate to drop that kind of scratch on a new driver every year or two, but balk at the price of a putter. Putting is ≈30% of your total score in a game, and the one club that so many golfers just can't bear to spend good money on.

I hear what you are saying, most people think of putting being all touch and no tech. Where with a driver they think they can take advantage of the technology more so. But a good putter does make the difference and is often overlooked.

I like the look of the squareback. Ive messed around with a few at golfsmith and I like the feel. That will be the next style putter I get.

it sure is awesome looking. if you get it, please take pics of it and post em!

Back