Slow group in front. What do you do?

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Grin and bear it? Scream obscenities? One hole open in front, one and a half holes, two holes... when do you do something and what do you do?

I relax and enjoy the round.
I know that anyone can have some holes they fall behind on. Maybe they are new to the game or just having some bad luck.
If it gets downright ridiculous like 2 holes open, I pull out the old iPhone and call the clubhouse.

If it's my regular group, they'll put pressure on them until they let us through

I like to wait until they're just off the green, then hit my approach. I think the sound of the ball hitting the green a few steps away from them sends a fairly clear message.

I just don't get why it's so darn hard for people to let others play through.

I’m not out there to win a race. I’ll practice on the green I just finished if there’s nobody behind me, or look at stats on my phone... also depends on what the group is doing. If they’re clearly just playing golf, I’m patient. But if they’re doing whiskey shots from a bagged bottle, I’ll say something first, then call the pro shop.

I’m not out there to win a race. I’ll practice on the green I just finished if there’s nobody behind me, or look at stats on my phone... also depends on what the group is doing. If they’re clearly just playing golf, I’m patient. But if they’re doing whiskey shots from a bagged bottle, I’ll say something first, then call the pro shop.

I agree, but I also didn't come out to watch the group in front of me hacking around for 4+ hours. I mean, what's the harm in them letting groups play through. It's also one of those areas where if you don't say something you're contributing to all the rounds behind you being screwed up.

this happens to everyone, you dont want to be rude and make someone feel bad, i try to relax and generally people will let you through at the next tee box.
if their hitting into me, i totally ignore it as it only gives them the attention their looking for.

I agree, but I also didn't come out to watch the group in front of me hacking around for 4+ hours. I mean, what's the harm in them letting groups play through. It's also one of those areas where if you don't say something you're contributing to all the rounds behind you being screwed up.
Oh, I agree if it’s multiple holes that I’m stuck waiting!! Courtesy says play through.

Only attempted to skip a hole one time single vs. 5 some in front of me. Only to find out it was the group in front going extremely slow... From now on... Just going to play two balls and enjoy the round, walk a little slower.

Right now? Getting out to play is a treat. i would take a deep breath and enjoy the luxury of being out on the course and in the sun.

it wouldn’t bother me at all

I'll usually wait for them to offer. If they have a multiple hole opening I might skip ahead of them. But usually I am okay playing slightly slower.

If I'm a single, I skip ahead.

If I'm with people, I'll chat and enjoy being outside. If my biggest issue is a slow round of golf, first world problems, I'll be alright.

If there's no one behind me I'll practice bunker shots and/or chipping. I might hit multiple approach shots. I mean if it's that slow why hurry? Play one drive + two maybe three approach shots.

If there's no one behind me I'll practice bunker shots and/or chipping. I might hit multiple approach shots. I mean if it's that slow why hurry? Play one drive + two maybe three approach shots.
Usually I'll do this as long as group behind me is just on tee box. I think it should be tee green tee/fairway ... Easiest is putting from different spots but will take some floppers out.

My favorite which I have only once once as they have to be really slow and the right hole is this. Dog leg par 5 they are hacking around so I hit my drive to the other fairway, then hit to the green and be gone before they know what is happening.

I had the great fortune of the random two-some that I was paired with yesterday afternoon, not show up at the first tee when our names were called. I waited until the next 4 some was rolling up...then took off. As a single I quickly caught the 4 some in front of me on #2. they were painfully slow. But as I rolled into the tee box at #3...they let me play through. The next 2 sets of 4-somes did the same. and by the turn I had caught the 4th group. Due to some nice chats with the cart girl, they didn't let me pass until after 15. I really didn't mind at this point I was on rocket pace. Then I rolled into 17.....two groups still there!

So I finished my beer while I waited to tee off on 17. ended the round in only 2h40m. I was not complaining that I had to "wait" on 17 & 18.

Packed course? I smile and enjoy the round
Open course ahead of the slowpokes? (assuming they are well off the pace) I'll follow the ClubProGuy tips and eventually give them some verbal encouragement.

Depends on why they are slow. If they just aren’t the best players but it’s obvious they are trying, I don’t really mind. If they are slow because they are screwing around. That’s when I get a little ornery. Being a muni though, there aren’t many things anyone does about it so just grin and bear it. Or if there multiple holes open, just skip ahead

Totally agree. I doesn't really bother me if the group in front is playing and keeping a reasonable pace. Sometimes, I like taking those extra 2 or 3 putts on the green I just played. Never know, that additional info could come in handy next round.

I’m pretty chill. If we get close enough to chat, there is room in front of them, and the situation feels right, I’ll ask if we can play through. If not or no go, I’m going to enjoy my round. In most cases (see below) the difference in total play time isn’t really a big deal.

The courses I play are doing well marshaling so far this year. If the group is overly slow, they’ll get a push or more. I can also make call and know we’ll get some help.

Rarely I will skip ahead. If it’s a nice day and the group is keeping the course pace, I’m all for you taking the full time. You paid just as much and deserve the respect of me waiting.

If they don't offer, ask to play through.

You really need to know the course. Is there a back up a little bit ahead? Is this group in question just playing a pace to not push the group in front of them? 2 holes open....
Catch them in a par 3 and ask, would you mind if we can play through?

Chill out and relax. Turn up the tunes and have a beverage and make the best of it.

Getting riled up accomplishes nothing. If anything it just ruins your day.

If I catch them on a tee box, we just ask if we can slip by them. Be civil about it.

If it's my regular group, they'll put pressure on them until they let us through
This ^^ Standing on the tee box staring at them sometimes to get them moving faster also then we done have to play through.
If my group is on the receiving end for some reason we let the group play through but that only happens if there is a single or double pressuring us.

Back