Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I suppose enforcement has to start somewhere but the LPGA should Be ashamed of themselves.

I hope she can appeal this.

I suppose enforcement has to start somewhere but the LPGA should Be ashamed of themselves.

I hope she can appeal this.
Didn't sound like it because she has been fined before this apparently.

Well.

This is a mixed bag and the newer older and hopefully wiser me will just not say much.

Why isn't the PGA doing this? You hear about how slow they are all the time but nothing seems to ever happen.

It’s more likely because she is an unknown and probably had no shot at all. No chance someone in the top 5 on TV Sunday gets fined.
almost all the incidents s on ANY tour seem to involve some rookie or an Amateur on Thursday who will never see the weekend. They do it to say: “hey, we’re doing something about it”. Fines for the top slugs mean nothing. Sponsor would cover it. Give a stroke to someone in the last 2-3 groups on Sunday, and they’ll catch on pretty quick.

Sucks it had to be a struggling rookie. But the established habitual slow players know the tricks to just avoid penalty when they are on the clock, unfortunately.

i like enforcement. if you're going to have a rule, enforce it. BUT, and it's a big but, enforce it consistently. she's an easy target because no one knows who she is. like the masters when they clobbered that young asian player for being slow, when like 80% of the regular field is just as slow. it's not fair to punish the powerless, and let the powerful get away with the same offenses.

Two strokes would mean more, but this is a good start!

Why isn't the PGA doing this? You hear about how slow they are all the time but nothing seems to ever happen.

Fines won't deter PGA players. Start assessing strokes. It's the only way that they'll pick up the pace. Unfortunately, the PGA doesn't have the balls.

Good! Seriously give them a rangefinder and throw away the greens books. Let’s get this show on the road
Rangefinder??? Give them nothing but a set of clubs, balls, tees and send them off to play. Most of these courses they’ve played numerous times, so where’s all the mystery that requires outside assistance??

I really can’t believe they even allow yardage books and greens books in professional golf. It’s like pitchers telling batters what pitch is coming.

Aren’t there yardage marks on nearly every damn sprinkler head in America? check one nearby and pace it off.... or how ‘bout this novel idea... use your judgement. For gods sake, as a professional golfer... have some confidence in your abilities as one. Estimating yardage should be one of skills developed.

An old timer I know was just talking about this the other day. Seems Deane Beman (onetime tour pro and former Tour Comissioner) came up with the idea in the early 60’s and Jack Nicklaus really took to it. They seem to be the guys who really got this concept off the ground... so i guess we have them to thank (at least partially) for the ensuing fiasco we call “slow play” or what the old timer called “ruining the #%%!&^ game”.

Last edited:
Fines won't deter PGA players. Start assessing strokes. It's the only way that they'll pick up the pace. Unfortunately, the PGA doesn't have the balls.

I agree about strokes over fine but I don’t see the PGA tour doing this.

That’s a significant fine considering her winnings!

Eesh. Strokes, not money. In the end the strokes are the money. PGA works never have the balls the affect the outcome though.

I think it's BS that they pick these players at the back of the pack to make an example of just so they can give the appearance that they're doing something, but they'll never touch the top players. Fine a guy like DJ 10 grand and he won't even miss it, he's got more money than that laying around under his couch cushions in loose change. Fine a rookie, bottom of the leaderboard, 19-year old LPGA player 10 grand and you've just taken a huge chunk of money out of her pocket.

I think it's BS that they pick these players at the back of the pack to make an example of just so they can give the appearance that they're doing something, but they'll never touch the top players. Fine a guy like DJ 10 grand and he won't even miss it, he's got more money than that laying around under his couch cushions in loose change. Fine a rookie, bottom of the leaderboard, 19-year old LPGA player 10 grand and you've just taken a huge chunk of money out of her pocket.

I agree completely. As a young LPGA Pro that is a lot of money. Probably covers getting into 2 events. Which is huge for a rookie.

Enforce it all or don’t. If they’re all playing 5:45 rounds, screw it. It is what it is. I’m comfortable not being as good as them. I also like to step up to my ball and hit the damn thing. May take me close to 100 sometimes but it sure won’t take me 5:45 unless I’m waiting 50% of the time.

Rangefinder??? Give them nothing but a set of clubs, balls, tees and send them off to play. Most of these courses they’ve played numerous times, so where’s all the mystery that requires outside assistance??

I really can’t believe they even allow yardage books and greens books in professional golf. It’s like pitchers telling batters what pitch is coming.

Aren’t there yardage marks on nearly every damn sprinkler head in America? check one nearby and pace it off.... or how ‘bout this novel idea... use your judgement. For gods sake, as a professional golfer... have some confidence in your abilities as one. Estimating yardage should be one of skills developed.

An old timer I know was just talking about this the other day. Seems Deane Beman (onetime tour pro and former Tour ) came up with the idea in the early 60’s and Jack Nicklaus really took to it. They seem to be the guys who really got this concept off the ground... so i guess we have them to thank (at least partially) for the ensuing fiasco we call “slow play” or what the old timer called “ruining the #%%!&^ game”.

I feel ya. Hell I never use a rangefinder to this day, just walk it off and check the pin position. If anything I think they need a handheld anemometer for wind speed

Lydia Ko is so slow it's like watching paint dry and they do nothing because she's a big name. So they enforce the rules on those back in the pack so they can say they're doing something. It's ********. They've put Ko on the clock so many times I can't count. And the LPGA wonders why no one watches. Move them up to 6200 yds. and the game will go faster because it will eliminate some of the extra short game shots. Of course maybe they don't want them shooting 8 under.

If a round is going so slow, I start hitting pine cones on the course. My mind starts drifting, so when it's finally time to play I have start everything all over again and refocus and it just makes it slower.

I feel ya. Hell I never use a rangefinder to this day, just walk it off and check the pin position. If anything I think they need a handheld anemometer for wind speed
Maybe the caddie can wear a beanie with propeller and have the display screen on his back for immediate reference ?

Lydia Ko is so slow it's like watching paint dry and they do nothing because she's a big name.

It is mind-blowing that she has not had more penalties assessed to her or fines with how slow she is.

Slow play on the tours has gotten so bad I don't even know what to say anymore. Watching pros take 2 minutes to hit a shot is just amazing.

IMHO, it starts and ends on the backs of the Tour Players. PGA, LPGA, European Tour. The kids who play in their tournaments, see the ‘big guys’ doing it, and they want to emulate them. They develop the habits that slow them down. They bring it to the JGA events, then into College Play, on to the Korn Ferry, etc... Do what the NHL and MLB does. You institute changes at the lower levels and enforce them rigorously. So as they move up, they know the deal. The Euro tour has that “Shot Clock” tournament that allows (I think) 2 time outs. Times were 20-30 minutes less.
Maybe another reason for not encouraging quicker play is Ad revenue. You know how much networks can get for commercials in that extra 30 minutes? If networks are getting more, the Tours can ask for a bigger cut of that pie. And they will get it.

Slow play on the tours has gotten so bad I don't even know what to say anymore. Watching pros take 2 minutes to hit a shot is just amazing.

Do you remember our round when we were behind the juniors. Each one with the exact same pre shot routine. Each one taking a full 90 seconds to get set. They are teaching them this now at higher level juniors and it is terrible.

Back