gabuzo

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone have advise on getting out of a slup? I'm a 24 handicapper who usually shoots my hanicap. My saving grace was my putting. For whatevever reason my game has gone south. I can't drive the ball, my short game sucks and my putting has left me high and dry! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Anyone have advise on getting out of a slup? I'm a 24 handicapper who usually shoots my hanicap. My saving grace was my putting. For whatevever reason my game has gone south. I can't drive the ball, my short game sucks and my putting has left me high and dry! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Getting out of a slump usually just comes with practice and playing. But I have to ask, you normally shoot your handicap? I think most people think a handicap is an average of their scores rather than what it is which is "the potential to score".

Practicing short game is usually the easiest way to get back on track to scoring. Putting, chipping and shots inside of 85 yards.

Put the bad shots behind you, and don't try to KILL the ball on the next shot to make up for a bad one.

I agree with JB. I shoot my handicap about 25% of the time. I periodically go through slumps and have come to understand that they are as much a part of improvement as my good playing streaks. The old "two steps forward and one step back" syndrome. I used to get very upset when I played poorly and the longer it went, the more desperate I got for a cure. I have learned to just ride it out. I know I am a good player but even good players have bad rounds and bad stretches. I just keep playing and it all works out.

I feel your pain. Had a great run last week. Felt like my game was really starting to take off. Took a couple of lessons, and the pro changed this and that. Now I'm struggling with almost any type of shot and my confidence has vanished like dew before the sun.

Argh!!

As the others have said, you are not alone. My putting has been horrible the past 3 weeks. I will play one round where I putt ok but the rounds when I'm hitting the most GIR's are the ones where Im struggling. The advice I've been getting from some great golfers is to work it out on the practice green and find a repeatable stroke that I will have confidence in. It seems the more I worry about making the putts the worse I miss them. I was averaging about 29-31 putts a round and now I'm averaging 34-36 putts a round. That is not acceptable as well as I've been hitting the ball. Keep up your focus on the areas hurting you and find something repeatable. That is the key to getting out these slumps and I too wish I could hurry up and get there myself.

thanks for the advise! I'll keep "hackin away"! As far as shooting my handicap i meant that I'm usually within a couple strokes. 96 94, I've shot 87, and 88! Then I'll shoot the 99,98 & recently a 100, & 105 right after getting fitted for new clubs! I think that getting fitted is Over rated!

thanks for the advise! I'll keep "hackin away"! As far as shooting my handicap i meant that I'm usually within a couple strokes. 96 94, I've shot 87, and 88! Then I'll shoot the 99,98 & recently a 100, & 105 right after getting fitted for new clubs! I think that getting fitted is Over rated!

Being improperly fitted is WAY overrated [obvoiusly]. Hope they got your specs right.

I could be the only one in this regard, but to get out of a slump I just take a break. Usually about two weeks, sometimes longer.

When you come back, you kind of "default" to your old playing style and shoot the same if not better -- or at least that's what happened for me. I was goin' mid 90s, took a month break, and then shot 84, 76. Of course, it took me six months after that to consistently shoot 84 and I have yet to get a 76 again, but I noticed time off helped me with my slumps in the past.

I could be the only one in this regard, but to get out of a slump I just take a break. Usually about two weeks, sometimes longer.

I totally agree, I usually play better after a break, it's been a 3 week break and I'm playing on Saturday so we'll see if the theory works! I also find that when my chipping and putting are working well my long game is off, then when the long game is on the short game is off! One day they will come together ... one day ...

Back