Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been slowly upgrading to smart technology in our house over the last year. Smart plugs, Alexa, thermostat, switches, garage door openers, e.t.c. I'm thinking about getting a new front door lock and going this route as well. I'm a little leery though. It's one thing to change stuff IN your house, but now I'm altering how people access my house. Anyone have any suggestions on brand or model?

I've been slowly upgrading to smart technology in our house over the last year. Smart plugs, Alexa, thermostat, switches, garage door openers, e.t.c. I'm thinking about getting a new front door lock and going this route as well. I'm a little leery though. It's one thing to change stuff IN your house, but now I'm altering how people access my house. Anyone have any suggestions on brand or model?
I have one. No clue what brand it is but it's awesome to just give someone a code to get in, and be able to check if the door is locked or not from the app. My wife is in charge of front door code duties. 😁

It does chew through batteries fairly quickly though.

I have an August smart lock with the keypad and wifi plug. It has annoyances, mostly to do with auto lock and unlock, but I'm overall happy with it.

Installation was super easy as it just replaces the inside latch, so I can still lock/unlock using a key or wifi or bluetooth or keypad.

I have the garage door opener and I love it. I'm hoping it works as well as that.

We have a schlage that connects to our ring alarm system.. type in our code to get in and it automatically disables the alarm

Can also lock and unlock the door from the ring app

Just looked. Front door lock is Yale. It's connected to the smart home app along with the alarm and the ac/heater.

Ours is a Kwikset, integrated with our home security/smart home system. Works great - has a keypad and you can assign both permanent and temporary access codes, limit times they can be used, etc. Can be remotely locked/unlocked and status monitored through the security system app, have notifications sent if the door is left open for (x) period of time, automatically lock the door after (x) minutes, etc. Nice thing about Kwikset is they come with a tool which allows you to easily re-key them to your existing key without needing a locksmith.

We went with the Yale lock. Easy install, easy to operate, syncs with Ring.
1586399200174.jpeg

We have a schlage that connects to our ring alarm system.. type in our code to get in and it automatically disables the alarm

Can also lock and unlock the door from the ring app
That is a great feature... Nothing worse than the sound of the alarm sounding because you entered the house and have to type the digits on keypad.

I’m happy with our system. Connects with our home monitoring company.

I have a Schlage. It is super convenient and easy to use. Not to mention, it looks good.

I can’t help. My house is dumb. I don’t really understand the whole “smart house” thing. I can adjust the thermostat and turn a key just fine on my own.

I can’t help. My house is dumb. I don’t really understand the whole “smart house” thing. I can adjust the thermostat and turn a key just fine on my own.

I was the same way as well.. but it is extremely convenient for kids, not being able to find your key, being able to cool your house down a little when you return from vaca, etc.

However, I work for a company that sells/manufacturers smart locks and smart home devices/gadgets and I have not went all in yet. We have some people at work that have everything from a smart thermostat to water sensors on their washer and dryer.

Ours is a Kwikset, integrated with our home security/smart home system. Works great - has a keypad and you can assign both permanent and temporary access codes, limit times they can be used, etc. Can be remotely locked/unlocked and status monitored through the security system app, have notifications sent if the door is left open for (x) period of time, automatically lock the door after (x) minutes, etc. Nice thing about Kwikset is they come with a tool which allows you to easily re-key them to your existing key without needing a locksmith.
I'm about 99% sure you are describing the same set that I have installed on my house too. Super handy and well integrated into the security system.

I leave the house with just my car key. I press a button to lock the door, or I can set it to auto lock. When I return, the door unlocks automatically and all I have to do is open it.

and that's just the lock

I leave the house with just my car key. I press a button to lock the door, or I can set it to auto lock. When I return, the door unlocks automatically and all I have to do is open it.

and that's just the lock
I know what they do. I am just saying to me I don’t see the point. It takes me all of 2 seconds to unlock my door. So I see no benefit for me personally. I set my thermostat and never touch it. Heck I don’t even have it set to where it even comes on all that often. Again, no benefit for me.

I am not saying it is something anybody else shouldn’t have. I am simply saying I don’t feel it is something I personally need to spend money on.

You guys with all this smart stuff, are you not worried about someone hacking into your devices? Stories all the time of stuff getting hacked into, and they could potentially unlock your front door. Is that not a thought you think about?

You guys with all this smart stuff, are you not worried about someone hacking into your devices? Stories all the time of stuff getting hacked into, and they could potentially unlock your front door. Is that not a thought you think about?
I'm probably more likely to have my house physically broken into

Literally has not crossed my mind until you just said it. HA!

Im on the fence with all the "smart home" stuff, not going to dive all in until security/privacy gets much better. So I would consider my home to be a "grade school home", not fully smart. Yes I have ring, but its on its on segregated wi-fi network and about as tight as you can get it. Anything device in the house that has a mic, its not on the network since I dont use Alexa or anything like that. I also pay close attention to the hardware that I'm buying and using. Example, I love my Sonos system. But the speakers I have are the mic-less versions. I also have the direct drive My-Q garage door opener, but again, its on its own segregated wi-fi network thats hardened as well.

So far my tin foil hat is keeping the black helicopters away :ROFLMAO:

Not really, you need to be smart about web security too. I have friends in IT that have helped me secure my web access. Secure routers, VPN, web encryption, e.t.c make a big difference. It's not military grade, but it would tough for your average hacker to get in. Ultimately, if a crook wants to rob you, they will rob you. No amount of security will stop them.

I figure if somebody really wants in, they're getting in unless you've hardened your house like a fortress. Most residential burglars are tweakers/hypes looking for easy stuff they can sell/pawn to get their fix (cash, jewelry, guns, laptops, etc.). Not many of those types are walking around with the gear and knowledge to hack into a network, disable a security system and manipulate smart devices. They're gonna kick your front door in or pop a window. Or, as in a lot of cases, come right in through a door or window a homeowner has obligingly left unsecured. The boss burglars with high-tech gear and knowledge aren't wasting their time and efforts on low probability targets, they're focusing where they know the risks are worth the rewards.

Last edited:
I'm not quite ready to purchase a smart lock yet. I will probably do it once the security is better than the average teenager's hacking skills.
Our service provider didn't believe that our WiFi had been spoofed. That is until I told them that my tablet was showing their service, while the router was boxed up next to me. I'm presuming that one of the neighbor's kids (or their friend) wanted to surf the net without the parents knowledge.
We do have a smart thermostat (p/w protected) smart switch for the perimeter lights, and a couple of smart plugs that are all on their separate channel.

Back