Smart Home Devices

DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
Didn’t really see a thread dedicated to this. Maybe I overlooked it.
Anyway...is there any other smart home nerds out there. I am a beginner, but I love these type of gadgets. Currently I am using the Samsung Smartthings Hub. I have some locks, door/window sensors, light switches and temperature sensors integrated. It is a work in progress, but I hope to get it how I want it soon. Anyone else have these in their home?

I’ve got thermostats, a smart bulb, smart switches of a couple of flavors all controlled by SmartThings.

Check out webcore for SmartThings, the functionality you’ll get is well worth the slight learning curve.

I’ve been going down the Amazon Alexa compatible route. Most devices work well but the ecosystem isn’t the biggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cool thread, will definitely be interested to see everyone’s setup. I’ve been thinking about investing in a smart bulb system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cool thread, will definitely be interested to see everyone’s setup. I’ve been thinking about investing in a smart bulb system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I wholeheartedly recommend switches vs bulbs. Especially if you have multi bulb fixtures.

I’ve been going down the Amazon Alexa compatible route. Most devices work well but the ecosystem isn’t the biggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's where we're at too, have been looking at the other devices and the hub to go along with it, just haven't ironed out all the details yet.

HAs anyone picked up a new amazon echo as compared to the other generations? Ive heard the sound quality is waaaaaay better.

We were gifted an Amazon Alexa last month and have since expanded to a couple Dots around the house and a smart plug for some lights. I've been eyeing a Nest thermostat as well.

For me personally the best "smart home" devices are:

-thermostats (nest in my case)
- I haven't tried any of their competitors and am 100% pleased with Nest
-wireless audio (sonos in my case).
- I just added the amazon alexa integration a few weeks ago and love it. I have used Bose smart speakers but and found Sonos to be far superior in every way (even sound quality)

-Smart deadbolt (Schlage in my case)
- I dont even carry a key to my house because I put smart deadbolts on every door. spendy but worth it!
-Security Camera (Nest in my case)
- The nest cameras were easy to set up and use. I do pay like $10 a month to store video footage in the cloud which is expensive.

I got the wife an Amazon Echo show for Christmas & a starter set of the Hue lights.

After reading up, I'm taking the lights back & going with the switches/wall plugs. You can use the much less expensive bulbs & just run your lamps, etc... through the wall plugs.

HAs anyone picked up a new amazon echo as compared to the other generations? Ive heard the sound quality is waaaaaay better.

The new one is way better, and looks 100x better as well.

We bought the Echo Show a month ago. Great for playing music in the kitchen and adding to "Lists"
I have a couple of smart plugs however I just can't find anything that I can plug in that I need to turn off by phone or by "Alexa"

I have video conferencing and that is a cool option with the Show.
Was going to buy one for my dad who is a widower, however he doesn't have a smart phone that he can tap for the phone numbers.
Which is too bad, I'd like the "Pop In" features for that reason.
Echo will not call 911 at this point, but when it can, it will be great for seniors.

Honestly, I think this system is great for "Early Adopters" Everyone will have one at some point.

Does anyone else but me think its a bad idea to have a device in your house that "listens" to everything you say? Not to go all conspiracy theorist or anything. I do like doorbell cameras, smart lights, thermostats etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Surprisingly to me, I don't have anything yet. That will change, but not sure when.

Installed a Belkin WeMo smart outlet two weeks ago and it is great. Works with IFTTT. Wife likes it because there is one button to run the lamp manually. The newer version does not cover up the second outlet. Also have a WeMo switch to install in the garage to run the recessed lights on our front porch.

Speaking of IFTTT, I can't find a program to do what some timers did twenty years ago - randomize the on-off times around a set time for that lived-in look. For example, if sunset is 5:00 and I want the lights to stay on until 11:45, I want the lights to come on randomly between 4:45 and 5:15 and turn off between 11:30 and 12:00. Anyone come across an IFTTT program like that?

Was just now testing out a Ring 2 video doorbell. Very well made, and the chime doubles as a WiFi range extender. Looks like it will do what we want.

Will probably install a Logitech Harmony Hub this weekend for our TV and media players. It works with Alexa, so I don't think I can make it any simpler than for someone to say, "Alexa, tell Harmony to change the channel to 175 and turn up the volume." We'll see.

Related to this, I'm looking for some inexpensive indoor security cameras with two-way audio to install in the in-laws, both to be able to monitor them and any visitors - in-home health care, for example. Any recommendations? In particular, this one got good reviews from web sites. The only downsides are that the base isn't good as-is for placing on a table or horizontal surface, and it does not have any smart home integration, which we really don't need at this point.

https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Security-Camera-Vision-Recognition/dp/B06XYGSD1M

I got the wife an Amazon Echo show for Christmas & a starter set of the Hue lights.

After reading up, I'm taking the lights back & going with the switches/wall plugs. You can use the much less expensive bulbs & just run your lamps, etc... through the wall plugs.

This is a smart man.

Single fixtures and accent lighting are better with Hue or LiFx though.

Installed a Belkin WeMo smart outlet two weeks ago and it is great. Works with IFTTT. Wife likes it because there is one button to run the lamp manually. The newer version does not cover up the second outlet. Also have a WeMo switch to install in the garage to run the recessed lights on our front porch.

Speaking of IFTTT, I can't find a program to do what some timers did twenty years ago - randomize the on-off times around a set time for that lived-in look. For example, if sunset is 5:00 and I want the lights to stay on until 11:45, I want the lights to come on randomly between 4:45 and 5:15 and turn off between 11:30 and 12:00. Anyone come across an IFTTT program like that?

Was just now testing out a Ring 2 video doorbell. Very well made, and the chime doubles as a WiFi range extender. Looks like it will do what we want.

Will probably install a Logitech Harmony Hub this weekend for our TV and media players. It works with Alexa, so I don't think I can make it any simpler than for someone to say, "Alexa, tell Harmony to change the channel to 175 and turn up the volume." We'll see.

Related to this, I'm looking for some inexpensive indoor security cameras with two-way audio to install in the in-laws, both to be able to monitor them and any visitors - in-home health care, for example. Any recommendations? In particular, this one got good reviews from web sites. The only downsides are that the base isn't good as-is for placing on a table or horizontal surface, and it does not have any smart home integration, which we really don't need at this point.

https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Security-Camera-Vision-Recognition/dp/B06XYGSD1M

In regard to the random on off lights program. There is a vacation app in smartthings that will do it

Have enjoyed reading about everyone’s set up. I also agree that the switches are the way to go. Only time they can be an issue is if your home is wired without a neutral wire in the switch box. There are ways around this, but it makes it a little more difficult.

Here is my current project.

I am integrating my hardwired BRK First Alert smoke and CO detectors into my smart home system. It requires a BRK relay wired into the system a custom code (device handler) and a window/door sensor to communicate with the hub. Once it is complete I will be able to have the hub send me a text and many other things such as turn all the lights on or unlock the doors etc when an alarm goes off. I am still waiting on the door/window sensor to come but I have everything else ready.

First I picked a location close to an existing detector in my wash room. Once I had a hole cut in the ceiling I ran a short piece of 12/3 romex. I then installed an old works double gang box.
536a1bee0932e53d26d1878b4002e20b.jpg
047fb10e964af98cbfad5bd88a05c189.jpg

Once the box was installed I made the necessary connections to the existing smoke detector circuit.
17c346303245aad5841fc425fbc735fe.jpg

Once I get the window/door sensor I will drill a hole in the blank box cover for the wiring and attach the sensor to the cover for easy access to the battery. Once that is done I will pair it to my hub. I will post an update when it is finished.
2837e5c1d1915351ca262625b32c922a.jpg

I got my wife one for Christmas. So far it's mostly used for measurement conversions and the question of the day, but we're weeks away from another move, so we're hesitant to invest in much smart home stuff until we get settled at our next duty station.

Didn’t really see a thread dedicated to this. Maybe I overlooked it.
Anyway...is there any other smart home nerds out there. I am a beginner, but I love these type of gadgets. Currently I am using the Samsung Smartthings Hub. I have some locks, door/window sensors, light switches and temperature sensors integrated. It is a work in progress, but I hope to get it how I want it soon. Anyone else have these in their home?

I know a lot of people use Nest, but honestly if everyone is using it I kinda refuse not to. HAHA Im kinda weird that way. BUT our house has two climate controls, and I wanted to go a bit on a budget. So after scouring reviews and features that fits my needs, and simple enough for my wife to use I went with the Emerson Sensi WiFi thermostats. https://sensicomfort.com/shop/products/thermostats/wi-fi-thermostat

These were easy to setup, they even walk you through the setup via their phone app so its almost fool proof (unless your color blind). The phone app works very well, and I find myself heating or cooling my house remotely when I get off of work. The daily programmable is super easy also. And now looking at it, apparently it works with Alexa also. I went with the base model, but there is also a fancy color model also. Also if you do it right you can find great deals on them on EBAY. I think I paid 140 total for two of them. Any ways if your looking to be more budget minded, not a bad way to go without breaking the bank, and it works great with houses that have more than one zone of heating and cooling.

I had an immediate need, so I just bought and installed a Honeywell Lyric C2 indoor security camera today. Had it up and running within 15 minutes. Excellent daytime pictures with the features I was really looking for. Has a MicroSD slot for a card up to 64GB, geofencing to minimize unneeded alarms, the ability to turn off the LED activity light, two way audio, and no need for the $10/month fee that Nest wants. Simple, effective app. It has a slot on the back of the body that allows you to hang it on the wall. Only thing it lacked was Alexa compatibility, which is not a show stopper for me at this point. Very impressed to this point. The one universal rap on this model seems to be the quality of the nighttime pictures. Again, not an issue for me.

Has anyone installed an Ecobee 4 smart thermostat? I've been bouncing between that and the Nest and thought I'd check here.

Has anyone installed an Ecobee 4 smart thermostat? I've been bouncing between that and the Nest and thought I'd check here.

I have a long list of thoughts on the nest and others that try to hold the house at a specific temp.

Feel free to skip.
With the Nest you set a target temp and it holds it there for you, and eventually learns your habits and adjusts itself automatically. It has a 3* range (as I recall) so if you set it for 70* it will keep the house at 69-71*. I think the ecobee operates on the same principle.

Anything that is trying to hold the temp in a fixed range is going to have limited money savings. Finding a good programmable that will let you set min/max temps will save a lot more money and require less hassle in the long run.

That being said, if you’re looking for something that will hold a specific temp, and you have a limited comfort range they can be very good.

I have about a 10-12* range setup during the day. At night it’s a little tighter but still a bigger margin than the 3* Nest allows. The trade off is that we use blankets and fleece PJs more than others do. My electric/gas bill is also less than 1/2 what most people I know are paying.

Look at the Honeywell thermostats. Integration with most smart home stuff and fully programmable.

I have a long list of thoughts on the nest and others that try to hold the house at a specific temp.

Feel free to skip.
With the Nest you set a target temp and it holds it there for you, and eventually learns your habits and adjusts itself automatically. It has a 3* range (as I recall) so if you set it for 70* it will keep the house at 69-71*. I think the ecobee operates on the same principle.

Anything that is trying to hold the temp in a fixed range is going to have limited money savings. Finding a good programmable that will let you set min/max temps will save a lot more money and require less hassle in the long run.

That being said, if you’re looking for something that will hold a specific temp, and you have a limited comfort range they can be very good.

I have about a 10-12* range setup during the day. At night it’s a little tighter but still a bigger margin than the 3* Nest allows. The trade off is that we use blankets and fleece PJs more than others do. My electric/gas bill is also less than 1/2 what most people I know are paying.

Look at the Honeywell thermostats. Integration with most smart home stuff and fully programmable.

Interesting, I didn't know about the 3* range. That could definitely make an impact on its cost savings.

Back