Smash Factor on TrackMan

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
Why does smash factor tend to be higher on TrackMan than on GC2/GC4? I am presuming it is because the ball speeds are about the same on both, but the swing speed numbers are lower on TrackMan. Is this correct?

GC2 is a fixed number of the HMT unit is not connected. It only measures ball speed without the HMT. I believe The quad also defaults to a fixed number if the dot measurement thingies are not on the club. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on the quad.

the fixed GC2 smash factor number was a 1.41 when I bought my unit.

GC2 is a fixed number of the HMT unit is not connected. It only measures ball speed without the HMT. I believe The quad also defaults to a fixed number if the dot measurement thingies are not on the club. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on the quad.

the fixed GC2 smash factor number was a 1.41 when I bought my unit.

You are correct. I now remember. Since the smash factor is fixed and the unit measures ball speed, the the estimated swing speed is normally higher, especially, if, as you say, the fixed smash factor is 1.41.

It’s interesting, because I have been working on a TrackMan recently and it is sometimes giving me smash factor readings of 1.51 with driver, which I had always thought was nearly impossible. Then, last night I was re-watching a Range Days video from last year And I heard @JB mention that TrackMan gives higher smash factor, sometimes up to 1.51.

I suppose the lesson is that if you switch back and forth from one type of monitor to the other, your numbers will be confusing.

I thought it was due to the location in which trackman takes its measurements, vs gc quad. I want to say I've heard that a 1.50 smash on trackman will often yield a 1.45 smash on quad.

Even with HMT or the dots Foresight’s monitors will provide lower smash factors (they call Efficiency) because of how it measures club head speed compared to Trackman. Trackman measures the geometric center of clubs while Foresight monitors (with HMT or stickers) measures the speed of the face/leading portion of the club. That is the cause of the discrepancy of club head speed between the two brands.

Back