Smoking while playing

Ryan Loves Golf

Reaction score
Handicap
Last Wednesday, I was having a great day on my front nine that was cut short by wildfire.
I don't have anything against smokers, but according to the firemen, only possible cause would be someone throwing away a cigarette. This is so irresponsible.....
Luckily, I heard only a relatively small area was burned, but with the draught we have here in CA, I hope everyone is more careful.

Pretty soon people will be leaving Cali for states with water.
BTW Northern MI requires that anyone from west of the Rockies register, get a visitors visa, and call in every 24 hours so they can verify your location.......... ;)

Last edited:
Really? The “ONLY POSSIBILE” cause is a cigarette? That seems a bit odd. No other possible cause? At all? Case closed? Without proof, that’s a bit irresponsible in itself.

I live in NE Ohio. This is not generally thought of as "drought" territory, but it can happen here. We have 36 holes of public Donald Ross designed golf in our area. Back in my younger days it was horribly under maintained. They watered the greens, but not the fairways. Despite its conditioning, the course was still legendary!

One time, I was out for a post workday nine in a drought year, walked to my drive, and dropped my lit cigarette to play my approach. Once I was done, i went to pick it up again only to see that it had burned a 6" diameter hole in the burned out fairway grass! Yikes!

To tell you the truth, maybe they should have set fire to the whole course! When I was a kid, there was a kind of small patch of weeds next to the house. My Dad resolved to eliminating it by burning it in the fall after it dried out. You can guess what happened. That weed patch came back bigger and taller than it ever was! We kids carved tunnels through it , and established a "fort" inside of it!

Plants love burned fertilizers!

Back