Snell MTB X and hitting into the wind.

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I normally play the Snell MTB X, but yesterday, I was hitting into a 15 mph wind and noticed that it ballooned a little bit. On the next shot, I hit the same club (7 heavenwood), and noticed that it also ballooned when hitting the same direction into the wind. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if they have a ball that works well in these types of conditions?

The one urethane ball I've played which is least affected by hitting into a 15mph wind is the AVX. And at 15mph even it will fly a little higher and come up short off a lofted club.

All the other balls I've played are substantially affected by hitting into 15mph headwinds.

TP5X is a great wind ball

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mizuno RB Tour X is a great wind ball also...but wouldn't recommend them overall solely due to the awful cover getting torn so easy

I could be wrong, but I'm inclined to think almost any ball, besides a rock ball, might tend to climb when hitting a 7 wood into a strong wind?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That's probably the best ball I've used in to the wind. On the flip side it was so low spinning for me I couldn't hold greens with it.

That's probably the best ball I've used in to the wind. On the flip side it was so low spinning for me I couldn't hold greens with it.
It's about a full club more into greens for me. I hit the ball high as it is so I have no problem holding greens

I’m not sure I like the Snell for playing but I will say that I’ve hit some pretty filthy long drives with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Srixon Z-Star is a great wind ball too. I haven’t played the Snell, but I agree that the TP5 is a wind killer too.

I fell in love with the Bridgestone TourB RX the first time I put it into play. It was fairly windy and as someone that hits the ball very high, the first couple holes into the wind I flew the green. 15 mph into is normally a 3 club wind for my moonballs. With the TourB RX it’s more of a club, club and a half.

It performs similar with driver too. I’ve hit some into a substantial wind that surprised me where they’ve ended up. It’s been the best wind ball (Tour Level-i.e. Urethane covered) that I’ve ever used.

The AVX is close, if I’m going to be unbiased. I like the feel of the Bridgestone ball better and to me it seems like it holds slightly better too.

TM TP Red LDP is the best wind ball I've ever played.

Of current offerings, the W/S Duo-Pro, Duo-U and Mizuno Tour RB have been the best for me in the wind.

i actually thought the MTB-X was a really good ball into the wind. one of the only things that seems to stick out about the ball to me.
it seems pretty long also, but i didn't like the feel so much

Back