Snickerdog's Adventure to the Grandaddy

Best of luck in the preparation process. Only a few more months to go!

While I have never met you, everything that you portray is admirable (I have a special fondness for fellow Marines). You will represent THP with pride.

While I have never met you, everything that you portray is admirable (I have a special fondness for fellow Marines). You will represent THP with pride.

Appreciate it.. Hope we can tee it up sometime. Semper Fi Brother.

That’s where I want to put in work, on some quick greens.

Had a lesson on Saturday to address my stance issue. I have always had a very closed stance, ( I drop my right foot way back) as it helps me keep my slice at bay. Probably not the correct way but it has worked for a long time. So decided a lesson to fix the issue and try to have a more neutral stance. It was very interesting and also frustrating at the same time. Definitely going to have to put some work in to adjust to it.
The round of golf we play following the lesson was just terrible, should not have tried to adjust to the new stance.
I spent a good half hour at the range on Sunday before the round practicing what I was showed and was able to see the improvement. It transferred to the course much better. Just need to get it burned into the muscle memory now.

Another week closer to the event of a lifetime and still super pumped up about this chance of a lifetime.

snicks, alignment changes are so tough! yesterday in my gapping analysis, the fitter noticed my alignment was off to. he said i was lining up very far to the left. it made for some struggles during the analysis, but i hit a large bucket after that, and then played 18. i won't say i feel i "have it" quite yet, but it's a step in the right direction. keep at it, my man!

snicks, alignment changes are so tough! yesterday in my gapping analysis, the fitter noticed my alignment was off to. he said i was lining up very far to the left. it made for some struggles during the analysis, but i hit a large bucket after that, and then played 18. i won't say i feel i "have it" quite yet, but it's a step in the right direction. keep at it, my man!

Thanks Cap.
The other thing he drilled into me was making sure I have a good setup routine, but his thing is keep it short and simple.
It is amazing how much someone who is trained can see the little flaws so much more then the normal guys you play with.

Just wanted to share a few things so everyone can say yep that's the crazy dog guy.
I never picked up a golf club until I was in my early 20's in the Marine Corps. My roommate was always playing and invited me along one day and that is what got my start. I still have the ball from the first birdie I ever made!!!
I played on and off for about the next ten years until I got out and ventured down a different path in life.
I got back into it about 8 years ago when a friend kept bugging me to play, (Thanks Shawn for that) and have been hooked again every since that day.

I found THP when I was looking for info on clubs and this site kept popping up every time I would do a search so I figured this must be a pretty good place. Read some reviews and decided to join up.
First THP event was in August of of 2016, The Cleveland Short Game Shootout. What a time that was!!!

I remember following along with the forum and The Grandaddy, how cool is this. From that point on it became a dream for me to one day go. Fast forward to this year and its contest time, here we go!! Maybe I can get lucky and snag a spot. I got my spot with the Team from the Truvis ball contest. I remember @2BFAST calling me, I was like why is this knucklehead calling me at work!!! All he kept saying was man your going to the Grandaddy over and over. I was floored, run back into office and check forum. WOW I'm going to the Grandaddy!!! Go back outside and scream and try to clam down. I am super excited to enjoy this experience to its fullest.

I am an office manager for a privately owned grain elevator and have been with the company for going on 14 years.
I am a pretty easy going laid back person. My kids are grown and on there own but I really enjoy time with them and the grandchildren.

I hope that I can represent THP in the best possible way while on this adventure and hope everyone enjoys this team as much as I am.

Thanks for the great post and for your service. I appreciate you sharing part of your journey to the Grandaddy with us.

Good luck on your journey Snickers, can't wait to see how things go in December

Just some advice about your lesson; be patient. Be patient. Be patient. Don’t get frustrated, keep working on the instructors tips for your game and it will all click soon enough.

Otherwise, great updates David! Keep up the hard work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff my friend. Love how you have embraced the journey.

Had a lesson on Saturday to address my stance issue. I have always had a very closed stance, ( I drop my right foot way back) as it helps me keep my slice at bay. Probably not the correct way but it has worked for a long time. So decided a lesson to fix the issue and try to have a more neutral stance. It was very interesting and also frustrating at the same time. Definitely going to have to put some work in to adjust to it.
The round of golf we play following the lesson was just terrible, should not have tried to adjust to the new stance.
I spent a good half hour at the range on Sunday before the round practicing what I was showed and was able to see the improvement. It transferred to the course much better. Just need to get it burned into the muscle memory now.

Another week closer to the event of a lifetime and still super pumped up about this chance of a lifetime.

You hit 3 or 4 perfect drives later in the round so I don't think it will take long before you see the changes become more permanent.

Left work early and went to a course close by that has a range and worked on the stance changes I got in my lesson from Saturday. That went pretty well, but still need more time with it. I can feel myself getting a better turn and getting my belt buckle towards the target more easily. Still lost a few right but most would have been playable I think.
Headed 12 miles to my home course for league and shot a 38 tonight. Again I lost 3 right but all where playable. I have some more work to put into these changes and get it burned into muscle memory.
Putter was good tonight with 3 one putts to save par.

Had a decent range session tonight after work. Starting to feel a bit more confident with the new stance, and played with the ball position until the flight straightened out and hit the next ten straight or with a really small fade. Work in progress but will become repeatable.

Great reading about your progress. I've been working a lot trying to fix my slice. I kept aiming farther and farther left until i read that increases the severity of your slice. Since changing my aim my slice frequency has decreased. I also added loft to my driver, which has also helped. Hit some of my straightest drives in years since making these changes!

Had a decent range session tonight after work. Starting to feel a bit more confident with the new stance, and played with the ball position until the flight straightened out and hit the next ten straight or with a really small fade. Work in progress but will become repeatable.

Loving the updates Dave. Keep up the good work. You're tempting me to go get lessons now.

Loving the updates Dave. Keep up the good work. You're tempting me to go get lessons now.

Do it. I took a wedge lesson last year and improved my game in a huge way. This driver lesson is a bit harder as I have been swinging the way I have for at least 10 years. I'm trying to just work thru it and stay positive about it.

good stuff david!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The only thing I would say, looking at how I would go about this, is not to try and make major changes, but to get your game to the point where it is consistent

I would hate to see you go down the route of trying to adjust your swing and have it ruin the experience because you are concentrating too much on swing changes, rather than playing the swing you have been used to

Good stuff David. Keep up the practice and that power fade will become lethal in December!

The only thing I would say, looking at how I would go about this, is not to try and make major changes, but to get your game to the point where it is consistent

I would hate to see you go down the route of trying to adjust your swing and have it ruin the experience because you are concentrating too much on swing changes, rather than playing the swing you have been used to

Not really a major swing change, more stance and alignment. The swing for the most part hasn't changed so should be okay. It is coming around pretty quick.

Good luck with that swing! Sounds like you will be in a great place for your fitting in December

Another range session after work tonight. Took my wrench with me and set the driver to s/n and did some warm up and was seeing some nice ball flights, still a bit of fade but playable. There was about a 5-7mph wind quartering across the range. Hit a few and a bit more of a fade than I want to play. Lofted up +1 to 11.5 and Neutral setting. BOOM!! much better and staighter ball flight that was holding against the wind. I hit the next ten balls almost identical to the first. Changed targets to make sure I could get a good alignment and the same ball flight and did that.
Checked my grip and turned just a smidge stronger and was able to hold the ball against the wind with no issues and get just a touch of a draw on the ball.

Sounds awesome! Can’t wait to read about your experiences in December - thanks for the updates

Back