So, I had my first private lesson today

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
First off, WTF was I waiting for - why did it take me oy, close to 40 years to do this? I do not have the distance I once did - and I was never that long to begin with.

Lesson was at PGATSS, I bought a 3 pack, will get the next 2 in March/April time frame - surgery on 1 Feb.

HOLE **** WOW! He got me hitting a slight draw with my 7 iron and roughly 15 more yards - and I did it consistently. AND, got and did it in the basement 'range' and the Rapsodo showed a solid 10+ yards. That is game changing for me - seriously. And it was all pretty subtle stuff.

So, backing up a bit, he had me hit 3 7 Irons and then he showed me on video that I was just about doing the exact same thing, with same distance and same result (direction) each time - he said it's not the most beautiful swing - but it was not bad, so we were not going make wholesale changes. I was short knocking it and there was slight fade.

He asked what I wanted, I said more consistency and distance (I'm old so - distance - DUH!!) We did the distance thing - he said, he could based on what he saw get my speed up at least 5 miles with just a few changes in the swing, then we could get more from the speed training - but that would be on my own and later.

I said one of my biggest issues, beyond distance, was consistency with chipping, again hit 3 he liked what he saw, he said we would - in later sessions, be spending most of our time on chips and drives - longer clubs. Then we were off to the putting green - was cool having him clear the space for the lesson! He had me line up putts from about 7, 15, and 20 feet, I was dead on with the 7, about 1 inch off with the 15 and about 3-4 inches off with the 20+ He said that was not abnormal at all, said if I know this I can make adjustments, and he also gave me a tip or two to move my eyes - we are talking not much at all, sort from directly behind/on top of to behind, and maybe bit closer to my body (side of the ball). And, that i was standing about 3-6" too close.

So, all in all he said we are gonna get me chipping closer hitting longer - and do both (assuming I practice) in just a few lessons - though I am certainly willing to buy more if it helps.

I had no idea - and was expecting (as many do) a total overhaul. But in reality just (at least for now) a few tweaks.

Nice, see not so scary. :LOL:

Nice, see not so scary. :LOL:
Sir, you could not be more correct - it was really REALLY awesome - I said this in another thread - Today was a great day.

Lessons with the right instructor can make a big difference. Sounds like you're going to make great headway.

To get 10-15 yards by essentially widening my stance, turning my shoulder (we are talking a few degrees) and mentally trying to swing down faster - getting the legs involved - and actually succeeding after just 2 or 3 tries - was enlightening. To repeat it at home a few hours later - pretty F*cking satisfying.

Love to hear the positive experience. I have had lessons with some good quality pro's and it can be game changing to help improve beyond barriers you have been facing.

Good stuff @JW Smoove now just imagine how good it’s going to feel when you take it to the next round

Good stuff @JW Smoove now just imagine how good it’s going to feel when you take it to the next round
It's gonna be a while but I am not sure I have ever been more excited, other than my kids being born and my wedding, I cannot think of anything that has this sort of effect on me - maybe I am just so stunned what subtle changes can do.

First off, WTF was I waiting for - why did it take me oy, close to 40 years to do this? I do not have the distance I once did - and I was never that long to begin with.

Lesson was at PGATSS, I bought a 3 pack, will get the next 2 in March/April time frame - surgery on 1 Feb.

HOLE **** WOW! He got me hitting a slight draw with my 7 iron and roughly 15 more yards - and I did it consistently. AND, got and did it in the basement 'range' and the Rapsodo showed a solid 10+ yards. That is game changing for me - seriously. And it was all pretty subtle stuff.

So, backing up a bit, he had me hit 3 7 Irons and then he showed me on video that I was just about doing the exact same thing, with same distance and same result (direction) each time - he said it's not the most beautiful swing - but it was not bad, so we were not going make wholesale changes. I was short knocking it and there was slight fade.

He asked what I wanted, I said more consistency and distance (I'm old so - distance - DUH!!) We did the distance thing - he said, he could based on what he saw get my speed up at least 5 miles with just a few changes in the swing, then we could get more from the speed training - but that would be on my own and later.

I said one of my biggest issues, beyond distance, was consistency with chipping, again hit 3 he liked what he saw, he said we would - in later sessions, be spending most of our time on chips and drives - longer clubs. Then we were off to the putting green - was cool having him clear the space for the lesson! He had me line up putts from about 7, 15, and 20 feet, I was dead on with the 7, about 1 inch off with the 15 and about 3-4 inches off with the 20+ He said that was not abnormal at all, said if I know this I can make adjustments, and he also gave me a tip or two to move my eyes - we are talking not much at all, sort from directly behind/on top of to behind, and maybe bit closer to my body (side of the ball). And, that i was standing about 3-6" too close.

So, all in all he said we are gonna get me chipping closer hitting longer - and do both (assuming I practice) in just a few lessons - though I am certainly willing to buy more if it helps.

I had no idea - and was expecting (as many do) a total overhaul. But in reality just (at least for now) a few tweaks.

39 years for me.

I finally went to a long time friend who is a PGA professional and booked 3 sessions. My arms and shoulder turn were not working together properly for some time and I knew it. My swing hasn't been right at all since I got back into the game a couple years ago after quitting the game for 12 years.

We incorporated a few minor tweaks and he's got me in the slot more often coming down into the ball, and my swing feels more free than it has in 20 years.

Feels good again.

I have surgery in about a week and a half - my next 2 lessons in March/
39 years for me.

I finally went to a long time friend who is a PGA professional and booked 3 sessions. My arms and shoulder turn were not working together properly for some time and I knew it. My swing hasn't been right at all since I got back into the game a couple years ago after quitting the game for 12 years.

We incorporated a few minor tweaks and he's got me in the slot more often coming down into the ball, and my swing feels more free than it has in 20 years.

Feels good again.
I have surgery in about a week and a half - my next 2 lessons in March/April - I cannot wait - have not been so jazzed - i can't tell you how long. SO, I get exactly what you mean and what you said.

Man, that’s awesome. So glad to hear you got some solid tips. The shoulders are key for me too - making sure I’m consistently rotating them properly is so important for me from driver right on down.

By the way, when I arrived my instructor was hitting a few balls, I said your swing is way too fast for my new clubs but when you see them you're gonna want to hit them - he looked, smiled grabbed the 6 iron and promptly hit it 204-208 on 3 swings. Smiled we chatted about them, and he said he'd be looking at them when there were more heads in the store to demo. 208 with a 6 iron that he had to lay off of, and he was about 5 yards off line - suffice it to say, he was happy and what a great (I think) ice breaker.

Man, that’s awesome. So glad to hear you got some solid tips. The shoulders are key for me too - making sure I’m consistently rotating them properly is so important for me from driver right on down.
It's funny I was so into the idea of hip turn, but he said turn your shoulders and everything else sort of happens - and it did - and it was awesome. He's also in the Kwan way of doing things - we even talked biometrics (for post surgery recovery) and he also lost a lot of weight - other than him being really good and young we had so much in common. :D;):cool:

This is super encouraging as someone who could really use some lessons

I have surgery in about a week and a half - my next 2 lessons in March/

I have surgery in about a week and a half - my next 2 lessons in March/April - I cannot wait - have not been so jazzed - i can't tell you how long. SO, I get exactly what you mean and what you said.

I feel for you pards and I hope everything goes well.

I had wrist surgery last year and it pretty much ruined a year of golf for me.

I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists, I get it sort of. But I am dealt determined to build of 2021.

Nice lesson! Get your surgery, heal up, then drop some bombs!:D

That is fantastic! I love my lessons I am always learning and it helps with not falling back into bad habits. You will be sending bombs soon!

Glad you caught the lesson bug man!!!

Congrats @JW Smoove! I am also a firm believer in lessons. The biggest thing to me though is make sure to put in the time practicing so it becomes natural and not something I have to think about. After not hitting for months, my swing was a hot mess the other day. Everything was just off and I was not comfortable over the ball in my setup at all. I worked out a few things on my own but it was still not where I wanted to be. I ran into my pro's dad (a former PGA Tour player) on the range and stopped to chat for a bit as he always has some amazing stories from playing on Tour. One thing led to the next and before I know it he is working with me to correct some issues for about an hour. That helped quite a bit but it was still not exactly right because I just needed to make more swings on what we worked on. I have made quite a few just out in the yard and I can not wait for the weather to break where the range will re-open(hopefully Tuesday). I feel like something finally clicked and my swing sure feels better then it ever has. It is definitely amazing what a good lesson can do for your game. It is also amazing what a series of lessons with one building on the previous will do. Good luck with the surgery and keep working at it as you can!

Glad to see you saw immediate results! Definitely keep it up

It's funny I was so into the idea of hip turn, but he said turn your shoulders and everything else sort of happens - and it did - and it was awesome. He's also in the Kwan way of doing things - we even talked biometrics (for post surgery recovery) and he also lost a lot of weight - other than him being really good and young we had so much in common. :D;):cool:

Ummm, Kwon is about using the legs, ground pressure, and turning the pelvis.:unsure: Glad it was successful, Jeff.

Ummm, Kwon is about using the legs, ground pressure, and turning the pelvis.:unsure: Glad it was successful, Jeff.
Ugh, apologies, this is entirely poor explanation/communicating what I learned - it's my bad not the instructors. We did not really focus extensively on the shoulders, it was that my moving them slightly back on the right that I would get some of the turn that I was trying to get from moving the right leg back. But, with the right leg back I was really not getting any leg power.

So, with the new set up, wider stance, aim right little, turn the shoulders - all very subtle changes that don't require a lot of focus to execute I am able to actually execute and focus on one thing swinging down into the ball (eg not the backswing, but the forward swing), and in so doing really apply the legs and feel it happening - particularly in the front (left leg) - really stepping into the swing. So, yes, using the legs and generating power from doing so (I think). After 2-3 swings it was almost automatic - the swing, not the set up. and I was executing and turning the ball over, I had increases in swing speed, ball speed and distance and accuracy seemed good as well (no hooks not shots that veered right), I had a few that did not draw as much as others but all had draw on them.

I am sure that I am still not articulating as well as I would like - but hopefully this is an improvement.

when I got my first lesson a few years ago… they also made a few little adjustments that paid off immediately. I giggled like a little school girl just being excited in what I was seeing.

Last spring I was fighting the super power
fades. Went in for another tune up…. And by golly the happy giggles returned! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: So nice and so much fun when things start to come together!
Congrats and I hope your success continues!

Back