SoFi - Alumni funded student loans

tyno

War Eagle's friend
Reaction score
Handicap
kids
I want to talk about SoFi and how it helped me, but first let me stand on my soap-box about student loans in general for a little bit.
We can use this thread to discuss student loans, your experiences, your solutions, problems, etc., and see if we can generate any assistance for members in the meantime...

Most of us will incur some form of student loan debt in our lives. Whether it be ours, our spouses, or our kids...it's basically inevitable and unfortunately, it's an epidemic. It seems obvious that the amount of total student loan debt only gets higher every year, as colleges continue to raise tuition and making it impossible for students not to take out loans with hefty interest rates. As a student, it's honestly the last thing that you need to worry about...but then as an adult, it consumes your life. And there's very little being done about it. Sure, Obama's "loan forgiveness" plan is out there, but not everyone qualifies and the word "forgiveness" should be used very, very lightly. Most of this plan centers around public service careers and income based payment plans, requiring you to work the same career for around 10 years (while still paying off your loans) and then if all the criteria is met, the remaining balance will be forgiven. IBR plans center around your income, requiring you to pay 10-15% of your discretionary income for 20-25 years...while these plans may help smaller income individuals, they continue under the false assumption that students who went to school longer, or have a Masters or Doctorate degrees, or essentially make a large amount of money can afford to pay off their much heftier debt, since, you know...they're so rich. No matter how much money you make, the relation to the amount of debt is still mostly the same.

Along with the sheer amount of debt that most students pile up, just by trying to better themselves by getting an education, high interest rates are the silent killer when it comes to student loans. Students are able to borrow and are given nice grace periods before having to pay it all back. Assuming that most students have a job by the time their grace period is up, loan companies offer ridiculously low payment plans that are impossible not to take given most people's current income (or lack thereof) at that time. Meanwhile, most times the majority of the monthly payment is applied to interest, leaving the lesser half applied to the principal, which in turn will gain no ground on paying off the total balance and earn so much extra interest, that the total amount almost nearly doubles, especially with rates in the 6%-8% range. It's nauseating. I'm sure no one needs a math lesson...but take a $100,000 loan at 6.8% on a 20 yr payment plan and your monthly payment is nearly $760 and your total interest paid is somewhere around $83,200. Sure, cutting your payment period in half will certainly cut that total interest paid in half as well, but that's if you can afford an extra $400 for your monthly payment.

So maybe I'm not the smartest guy out there and maybe I've gone about all of this the wrong way, but it seems to me that nothing short of winning the lottery or dying (if you don't have a co-signer) will assist you in covering this massive debt. I'm in no way asking for free hand-outs by any means...I do understand the concept of borrowing and paying back money, but I couldn't imagine having to pay back this amount on a single salary or on a budget. I'm married, own a house, 2 cars, 2 kids, and 2 dogs....but I'm not exactly pumping money back into the economy because our loan payment eats up a good portion of our dual income. My wife has a Masters degree PA-C and I have a Bachelors degree MIS. Luckily, I was able to pay off what I owed within about 5-6 years after graduating. My wife's Master's degree student loan debt is a different story....the balance rivals that of our mortgage, so something had to be done. Researching for answers got me nowhere but frustrated with the aforementioned "forgiveness plans", so I just decided to bite the bullet and start buying more lottery tickets. Hey, at least that helps Pennsylvania's elderly!

Enter SoFi. Junk mail in my physical USPS mailbox. Mail that I had no business opening, but did. SoFi is a student loan consolidation company founded by Stanford graduates with a vision to help students with loan debt from their Alma mater. SoFi is alumni funded student loans and allows for many different options when consolidating. I liked their basic idea, I liked their options, and I liked the fact that this was a small upstart company that understood what I was going through. There are a ton of consolidation companies out there, but this one stood out to me.
The initial application process was quick and easy. Based on our info, we were presented with 3 plans: 2 fixed rates (5yr and 10yr plan) and a variable rate which I was not considering at all. I ran some numbers and decided to go with the 5 year plan. It ended up lowering my rate by 1.5% and allowed me to rid ourselves of this debt in a mere 5 years. Of course, our monthly payment is high, but after running the finances, affordable when looking long term. The big number was the $60,000 that we would save in interest by going this route. $60,0000. I'm not sure about you, but to me, that's a lot of cash. So at the end of the day, the overall process took about a month to straighten out, which was longer than I would've liked, but everything went smoothly, just took awhile for some reason. My decision was final...bear down for 5 years and completely rid ourselves of our student loan debt. I'd rather "budget" for 5 years, than 20.

So here's my shameless plug for SoFi. I'm not going to list everything that they offer. That is for you to checkout if you're interested.
http://www.sofi.com
But they do offer a referral program along with their consolidation. Every invite gets you and the person you referred $100 if and when they decide to sign up.
Here's my referral link: https://www.sofi.com/refer/4/34175

Last edited:
I will have to look into this as well, I know your frustrations all too well. The system is completely flawed and it's ridiculous I still have no idea what your parents income has to do with what you qualify for in terms of college assistance i.e. FAFSA. I paid for my schooling and because I guess the government assumes your parents tax bracket means that chances are they will pay they screw you. Flipside of that, how many had friends go off to college practically free because their parents did claim much as far as taxes go because they were self employed and made cash which goes unclaimed. The system needs to be flat out even across the board for students from all walks of life, cost to each individual should not differ due to being raised in different economic situations

Thanks for the info tyno. I payed off my debt for my undergrad very quickly (engineering degree & single), but actually took out a student loan when I entered grad school to help pay for my wife's engagement ring (among other things). As I recall, when I started to repay the loan, I wrote specific instructions on every monthly payment that any extra payment was to be applied to the principal, and was able to pay it off pretty quickly. I wonder if this is still an option. I do know that unless I specified, they would take the extra money & pay off future month's interest, apply none to paying down the principal, and not send me a statement, and then act like they were doing me a favor - "Congrats! You don't have to make a payment for 2 more months!" . I had to get pretty nasty both on the phone & in writing before they agreed to always apply any overpayment to the principal.

I will have to look into this as well, I know your frustrations all too well. The system is completely flawed and it's ridiculous I still have no idea what your parents income has to do with what you qualify for in terms of college assistance i.e. FAFSA. I paid for my schooling and because I guess the government assumes your parents tax bracket means that chances are they will pay they screw you. Flipside of that, how many had friends go off to college practically free because their parents did claim much as far as taxes go because they were self employed and made cash which goes unclaimed. The system needs to be flat out even across the board for students from all walks of life, cost to each individual should not differ due to being raised in different economic situations

All I know is that according to FAFSA, I qualified for less assistance than my friends from school whose dads were MDs or orthodontists & had huge houses on the local country club. I could never figure that out, but according to the feds, they were needier than me.

All I know is that according to FAFSA, I qualified for less assistance than my friends from school whose dads were MDs or orthodontists & had huge houses on the local country club. I could never figure that out, but according to the feds, they were needier than me.
Well I can only speak of the situations I saw, but I didn't hang out with anyone from that level of income, and I will stereotype that class, the rich stay rich, I'm going to assume their tax consultants find every loophole available for them and I'm sure that helped their children. Again, this is an imperfect system, not dissimilar to other aspects of our government including the tax code.

I'll have to look into this...thanks for the link.

My wife is going to a private grad school now, and initially wanted to take out a student loan to do so. We were both fortunate to get through undergrad without debt, and I really didn't want to start with the student debt now. I hear all sorts of horror stories paying them off. So we have made some changes in our lifestyle, and are cutting our budget to pay for the school outright. We are paying about 1000 per month to avoid the debt altogether. It hasn't been fun, but I'm glad to be avoiding it.

I do know they are unavoidable for some, and for those chasing certain careers they can be quite high. But I also know many take advantage of them, take out the maximum they can qualify for regardless of how much they need and live fairly luxuriously for a college student while not being employed. I remember a certain friend who didn't work, lived in high end apartment, had a pretty substantial scholarship, but yet was taking out TONS of student loans. He supplied alcohol at parties, went out to clubs, and generally lived the high life. Now I see him on facebook screaming about his outrageous student loans and calling for forgiveness on all student loans. Hard to feel bad for him, and it makes some people lose empathy who really did take them out to get their education, and are now in a bad place.

I'm glad you found something to help out your situation, I hope it can help many.

My wife is going to a private grad school now, and initially wanted to take out a student loan to do so. We were both fortunate to get through undergrad without debt, and I really didn't want to start with the student debt now. I hear all sorts of horror stories paying them off. So we have made some changes in our lifestyle, and are cutting our budget to pay for the school outright. We are paying about 1000 per month to avoid the debt altogether. It hasn't been fun, but I'm glad to be avoiding it.

I do know they are unavoidable for some, and for those chasing certain careers they can be quite high. But I also know many take advantage of them, take out the maximum they can qualify for regardless of how much they need and live fairly luxuriously for a college student while not being employed. I remember a certain friend who didn't work, lived in high end apartment, had a pretty substantial scholarship, but yet was taking out TONS of student loans. He supplied alcohol at parties, went out to clubs, and generally lived the high life. Now I see him on facebook screaming about his outrageous student loans and calling for forgiveness on all student loans. Hard to feel bad for him, and it makes some people lose empathy who really did take them out to get their education, and are now in a bad place.

I'm glad you found something to help out your situation, I hope it can help many.

My parents called it "champagne tastes on a beer budget". I wonder the percentage of people in this country who are living beyond their incomes now. Regardless of the high cost of school (a whole different issue), if you can't afford something, don't keep spending. The guy you describe doesn't deserve forgiveness on his loans. He made his choice & he should have to pay for that now.

I also know stuff happens & you can't always anticipate it. I know a friend who went to grad school for a masters in tax & had to pay for a lot of stuff on his credit card, thinking it was a temporary issue & he'd soon be making some big bucks as a tax attorney. Life got in the way, his baby got sick, didn't make it through the program, had to declare bancruptcy & move in with his parents. It's probably hard to apply a policy on a case-by-case basis.

it's a racket for sure.

i was very fortunate when it came to college and loans honestly. at the time, my public school was only around $40,000-$50,000 total. i got about a quarter of that in scholarships, but still ended up with around $25,000 in loans. back then, i was able to put some money towards tuition but my parents were able to help out a lot.
there were still times though, like you mentioned, that FAFSA claimed we made too much money, and was always an on-going joke. there were even some years when i qualified for work-study, and some years when i didn't!
one thing that stands out to me is how little we knew about student debt, and how bad it could end up being. i wish my high school would've educated us about that a bit more. one common theme you always hear while in college is that, you have the rest of your adult life to work and pay bills, so live it up now and enjoy yourself. i will say that i kinda subscribed to that notion, but that was 10 years ago. is anyone able to enjoy anything now?

so like Wake and his wife, we pay a large monthly fee for a shorter period of time, and budget where we can, all to avoid basically doubling our balance in interest. well listen, i'm no genius, (but i do have a minor in economics!)...but it doesn't take that to realize that we're not able to really put away all that much for savings, but we're also not able to put all that much back into the economy. which, unless you've been living under a rock, you know is not doing all that well. so when so many families are now plagued by this...i believe that they are forced to save all that they can, mainly to avoid having their children going thru the same situation. good-bye disposable income, and good bye economy.

another thing that really turks me off, is something i touched on a bit earlier too....is the general belief that if you're going to school for a very high paying career, and amount a good bit of debt, then your very high paying career will help you pay off this debt with no issues whatsoever and why should the govt. even think about helping you?! ha! how laughable is that? obviously this example mystery person, has no kids, no pets, no bills, no house, no cars, and does absolutely nothing except work and sleep while eating bread and drinking water. what a crock.

One thing that I've never understood is people who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars going to an exclusive private school (ex: Case Western Reserve U is around $44,000 just for tuition) and then major in something like social work or education or history. Unless your family has money, you just assured yourself of entering a relatively low paying job market with a huge debt. Seems like economic suicide to me

Worth a watch, even though it focuses more on the online colleges...same issue really.

Last edited:
Times have really changed on this topic. I the mid 70'd my brother was off to 4 years at IU and I think my parents said recently it was around $8000 per year for him loan wise and a couple of hundred a month out of pocket, and the loan was at our local hometown bank at nearly zero interest.

For me in the early 80's, it was around $11000 per year, but again on a local low interest loan. Out of pocket, my parents gave me a couple of hundred a month and I worked part time (as did my brother) while at school.

My wife also attended IU in the early 80's and I know when we got married in 1988, we were still paying on her loan for at least a year or two.

slightly unrelated but relevant to college tuition, i heard an add on the radio that is encouraging people to donate money to help "war heroes" attend college so that they continue their career aspirations post-service.
i quoted "war heroes" because it's obviously referring to recent veterans of the Iraqi and Afgani efforts.

now, this may piss some people off, but why is this necessary at all?
don't get me wrong. i live in America. i realize that many of my freedoms are due to people who have previously and currently served and i am grateful for that and support the troops, in spirit.

don't some of the service organizations cover (some) tuition for qualified enrolled?
why exactly isn't the US Govt. paying for this?

"Thanks for your many years of service son. Please turn in your weapon. Here's a pat on the back and good luck with that post-traumatic stress disorder that is certain to ruin your life. Oh, you'd like to goto college? Great news! Good luck with that."

maybe i'm thinking about it the wrong way. i know that i'm not obligated to donate, and maybe the ad isn't targeted towards individuals with current student debt...

some balls on the US Govt....
with over $1 Trillion in current student loan debt, they reach out to the people who have amassed that debt to help individuals who actually were employed by them, instead of taking care of them their-selves.

Back