Soft Case on Southwest Flights?

Headcovers and Stiff Arm - meander towel around the clubs and then clothes around the top and the top should have a padded cover

The stiff arm definitely helps a lot. I have wrapped in bubble wrap as well.

Headcovers and Stiff Arm - meander towel around the clubs and then clothes around the top and the top should have a padded cover

Thanks! If the 3W breaks... new club time! good excuse...Stupid airline broke my 3w and i have to have it!

Thanks! If the 3W breaks... new club time! good excuse...Stupid airline broke my 3w and i have to have it!

Make sure the umbrella top of the Stiff Arm is not far away from the top of the 3 wood, which is now probably your longest club. A little air but not too much air. You don't want anything pressing on the head but you want the head protected/

Good to hear. Have an softside Ogio case I'll be using in a few weeks while flying SW.

I've flown with my soft-side travel bag many times (including Southwest) with no issues. I use an old "Long Jon" putter as a stiff arm, remove my driver and 3W head, wrap the irons with my golf towels, and fill the voids around the clubs with a couple of old throw pillows. Works like a charm!

Get a stiff arm and wrap a couple of golf towels around the heads of your irons (and putter) to protect those clubheads.
If you don't want to buy a stiff arm, put a piece of pvc in your bag and use the towels too.

Golf Macgyver

But the umbrella top of the Stiff Arm provides more protection. I've used one for 10 years and no issues, if that helps.

Do as everyone else above has said. FWIW, in the 8 years I've worked at SW I have never seen a ramper mishandle a golf bag. I will be traveling with my clubs this weekend in a ClubGlove and have zero worries.

Get a broom stick and a tennis ball. Save a few bucks instead of a stiff arm. I figured if you’re flying SW, saving money is a priority!!😎

soft bag and a stiff arm has worked well for me.

I agree with wrapping up the heads for extra security.

Get a broom stick and a tennis ball. Save a few bucks instead of a stiff arm. I figured if you’re flying SW, saving money is a priority!!
Not sure if you're offering solid advice or insulting me

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Get a stiff arm and wrap a couple of golf towels around the heads of your irons (and putter) to protect those clubheads.

I use a stiff arm and bubble wrap around the top of the bag which protects the heads.

IMG_20140613_102820_674.jpg
Stuff happens. Off the top of the fully loaded baggage cart and landed "head first" on the tarmac. Absolutely no damage.

I use a Ogio Backbone (like a stiff arm only thicker) headcovers with a bath towel wound in between the shafts.

I've only used soft sided bags and have flown with clubs for years without issues. I set the stiff arm as tall as it can go to allow room for the clubs, of course I also wrap the heads/shafts with towels/clothes. Also, TSA has checked my clubs almost every time.

Lots of accurate/good info here. I've only flown with a soft sided golf bag twice and had no issues.

my fault. I totally thought it was you that worked for SW

my fault. I totally thought it was you that worked for SW

Oh, I do. I was just trying to say that the previous posts all had good info, and that anything I would add would just be repeating them. :cool:

have flown SWA and your Travel Bag counts as 1 of your 2 "checked bag", thus meaning NO COST FOR YOU TO TAKE. If you can take heads off do so, if not wrap top of clubs with towels.

When I saw the fine print about soft sided bags a while back, I bought a hard case for travel. But the hard cases don’t fit in most trunks of rental cars unless it’s an SUV or truck which is why I still like using the soft case

Back