Software developers. Talk to me.

I remember @Davidhibler had started this thread some time ago. I have a bunch of free time in the evenings and a close friend of mine said I should look into coding.
I am no professional or computer guru, but I have the willingness to learn. I understand it might take years, but I am willing to take the challenge.

I am starting to learn python at Harvard's CS50's intro to programming in python to get my feet wet and start understanding the concept of coding and python.
The course is free and the course is about 9 weeks long. I wanted to see what other tools I can use to make myself python proficient. Is there a service I can pay for that will teach me A through Z on python and coding? Eventually, I want to reach the point of getting certified one day. I started doing some really basic coding last night and I did enjoy it.

Python pros out there, please lend me your help.

side note: I do not have a BS or MA in computer science. I have a BS and MA in communications.
Coursera and udemy have a bunch of stuff. There is also more stuff on edex.

Generally, any type of certification in the field is not worth the money you're spending on it - experience and portfolio is going to be more useful in terms of convincing employers you can do the work they need. I can't think of any time I've considered any type of certification for the folks we've hired in the last two companies I've been at.

My suggestion - find online courses that "click" with you, and think about some things you want to build to solve problems you have and build them. And while you're learning, make sure you internalize how things work and why they're implemented as they are in examples. That's often when things will go south in interviews I'm giving - I'll ask why a design choice was made, and the candidate will be unable to come up with an answer besides "that's how I learned it".

And it might be worth thinking a bit more about the specific type of things you're interested in doing/building, besides "Python" - do you want to do web development, data analysis, backend systems? That might help focus your learning path a bit more, and put you in a better position to get to the point where you're really learning how to program/write software, more than learning a language, which would allow you to pivot to different technical stacks depending on where you're working.

thank you, sir. How has your experience been so far?
To be honest, I stalled out.
I did about half of CS50, and enjoyed it but things got in the way and I never picked it back up.

Recently I shifted to more of a data focus. Not sure I like it to be honest, but if some SQL and Tableau can get me out of my current job, I'll do it 😆

I do find that I miss the challenge of solving puzzles and making broken things work. I'd prefer to fix/create, ya know?

I did have a conversation with a THPer last month about what he does (still tech, but more security) and haven't been able to stop thinking about that area.

Maybe I'll shift focus again. Who knows? If I keep starting and stopping like this I'll never finish.

To be honest, I stalled out.
I did about half of CS50, and enjoyed it but things got in the way and I never picked it back up.

Recently I shifted to more of a data focus. Not sure I like it to be honest, but if some SQL and Tableau can get me out of my current job, I'll do it 😆

I do find that I miss the challenge of solving puzzles and making broken things work. I'd prefer to fix/create, ya know?

I did have a conversation with a THPer last month about what he does (still tech, but more security) and haven't been able to stop thinking about that area.

Maybe I'll shift focus again. Who knows? If I keep starting and stopping like this I'll never finish.

Happy to provide any insight I can - I've been working on analytics/data related work for ~16 years (not including school and whatnot) or so and have friends and family in the infosec field.

Generally, any type of certification in the field is not worth the money you're spending on it - experience and portfolio is going to be more useful in terms of convincing employers you can do the work they need. I can't think of any time I've considered any type of certification for the folks we've hired in the last two companies I've been at.

My suggestion - find online courses that "click" with you, and think about some things you want to build to solve problems you have and build them. And while you're learning, make sure you internalize how things work and why they're implemented as they are in examples. That's often when things will go south in interviews I'm giving - I'll ask why a design choice was made, and the candidate will be unable to come up with an answer besides "that's how I learned it".

And it might be worth thinking a bit more about the specific type of things you're interested in doing/building, besides "Python" - do you want to do web development, data analysis, backend systems? That might help focus your learning path a bit more, and put you in a better position to get to the point where you're really learning how to program/write software, more than learning a language, which would allow you to pivot to different technical stacks depending on where you're working.

This is great information. I truly appreciate your time to write this. I will look into specializations I would like to focus on (I'm inclining toward data analysis).

I’m not a software dev but I’ve been working from scratch towards a field change for about a year. I’m doing Google Cloud Engineering path. My company has committed to moving all of our data to Google Cloud and I see an opportunity to move into a new and higher paying role that will also allow me to execute my plan of moving to North Myrtle.

I’m doing it with Coursera. Google has official courses there made by them. I feel like that’s the most direct way to learn what I need to. I’m about halfway through the first track, there are a total of 3 (I think) on the path I want to take. It should take me only another year or so.

It’s been TOUGH. Honestly like learning a completely new language that I have no familiarity with but I’m chugging along. It’s going to be really rewarding to finally get that certification. Hopefully by mid 2023.

As for a typical day, it's not much different from a lot of positions. You attend way too many meetings, get some coding done in-between, and try desperately to keep up with the needed security patches. A lot depends on whether you work somewhere that has formal business analyst and QA teams. Many places don't. So you may spend your time wearing those hats too, trying to work with users to define requirements or come up with test plans.

It's a challenging career, but it certainly is never boring.
I am currently an analyst, have done QA and project management. So although not a developer they are a part of my life the last 25 years.

I’m piggy backing on the above to share that your average day will likely be spent working in a collaborative environment. There is good and bad in that. A lot of energy can be spent on software development methodology - how teams work together. Expect unreasonable timelines from executives and the assorted pressures that come with it. A lot of meetings. Frustrations when you are told or given a Spec that says A, you hear / read A, you code A but then the client explains they really meant AA- and how couldn’t you have known that, it’s so obvious?

One piece of advice I’d give you is that your transition will be made easier and quicker if you become a developer in a business field you already know. You already will have to learn the coding part. If you take a job in a completely different field you then also have to learn that business, doubling your learning curve. This is often overlooked and many people will say coding is sterile, that you don’t need to know the business. I’m in the camp that says developers who understand the business have more success and value.

We need to talk. I work for a company that sells a low/no-code platform. That means being able to build software applications using design tools instead of code. And our focus is on business process automation. And, our #1 core industry that we sell to is the financial space. With your background and understanding of the business processes in that industry, you could do very well as a consultant helping companies design apps to automate processes, improving efficiencies, reducing costs and improving revenues and profits. PM me if you’d like to chat by phone, or get together for lunch - or golf!

I am currently an analyst, have done QA and project management. So although not a developer they are a part of my life the last 25 years.

One piece of advice I’d give you is that your transition will be made easier and quicker if you become a developer in a business field you already know. You already will have to learn the coding part. If you take a job in a completely different field you then also have to learn that business, doubling your learning curve. This is often overlooked and many people will say coding is sterile, that you don’t need to know the business. I’m in the camp that says developers who understand the business have more success and value.

That is huge. I did not consider that. Thank you for your advice.

We need to talk. I work for a company that sells a low/no-code platform. That means being able to build software applications using design tools instead of code. And our focus is on business process automation. And, our #1 core industry that we sell to is the financial space. With your background and understanding of the business processes in that industry, you could do very well as a consultant helping companies design apps to automate processes, improving efficiencies, reducing costs and improving revenues and profits. PM me if you’d like to chat by phone, or get together for lunch - or golf!
Let's go play some golf :cool:

I always recommend web development for beginners. It's relatively easy, easily accessible and tons of free stuff to work with.

A bit of career talk on here lately. I know we have a wide variety of backgrounds represented here on THP, so I know I can get some good advice here.

I've been considering a career change, and this is one that keeps popping back up. I'm not even sure why. I don't even know anyone who is a developer...it just seems like it might fit my personality better than what I have been doing.
Yes, I realize it would be a TON of work to get to where I need to be to even interview.

I do have a degree, but not a CS degree(business/economics). If I decided to go this route, I would go mostly self taught, and maybe some certs.

For the last 8 years, I have worked for a Canadian bank, who also has a footprint here on the east coast. I am a Credit analyst/underwriter in the auto finance space.

My coding experience is minimal, and maybe 15-20years ago, so we will just say I have no experience.

So who can help me out with some questions-

Is this a dumb plan?
Do you EVER see middle aged guys starting as junior developers? I'm 39
What is your average day like at this level?
What am I not thinking about here?

Thanks, THP. 👊

@Davidhibler Good luck in your new venture. I am a technical recruiter. I have noticed, candidates who enter the IT field later in life do have a more difficult time. A hiring manager will think, this guy is an entry level person; but, will need a higher salary. For entry level, they usually hire recent college graduates who are less costly and maybe up on the latest technologies. But, it is not impossible. I would suggest to target IT jobs that are in the auto finance space. This way you are bringing value beyond your programming skills. Also, developers are hugely in demand. So, that gives you a chance. 39 is young to me. Why not go for it? Best wishes!

Been in software for a while as a dev then manager and now director of engineering. While a degree in a relevant field is nice experience matters a lot more.

It is a field that being self taught can work if you put in the work to learn. To get some experience you will likely need to do some projects on your own and start at an entry level. A boot camp can also be helpful, those can vary in both quality and price.

If you are good at it there is lots of opportunities out there.

My buddy, that I referenced before, came up under an elder who had come to maturity in the navy when they, and He, were still wiring computers together using needle nose pliers! It's a long history people!

Been in software for a while as a dev then manager and now director of engineering. While a degree in a relevant field is nice experience matters a lot more.

It is a field that being self taught can work if you put in the work to learn. To get some experience you will likely need to do some projects on your own and start at an entry level. A boot camp can also be helpful, those can vary in both quality and price.

If you are good at it there is lots of opportunities out there.

My buddy, that I referenced before, came up under an elder who had come to maturity in the navy when they, and He, were still wiring computers together using needle nose pliers! It's a long history people!

I remember @Davidhibler had started this thread some time ago. I have a bunch of free time in the evenings and a close friend of mine said I should look into coding.
I am no professional or computer guru, but I have the willingness to learn. I understand it might take years, but I am willing to take the challenge.

I am starting to learn python at Harvard's CS50's intro to programming in python to get my feet wet and start understanding the concept of coding and python.
The course is free and the course is about 9 weeks long. I wanted to see what other tools I can use to make myself python proficient. Is there a service I can pay for that will teach me A through Z on python and coding? Eventually, I want to reach the point of getting certified one day. I started doing some really basic coding last night and I did enjoy it.

Python pros out there, please lend me your help.

side note: I do not have a BS or MA in computer science. I have a BS and MA in communications.

check out https://www.freecodecamp.org. Lots of learning resources, project ideas. IMO, learn the basics, then jump in by doing. Try to create something that interests you. You learn faster by doing once you have the fundamentals down.

Self-learning and getting certifications are great approaches. Well, you should start with the basics and build from there.As for what you might not be thinking about, it's a demanding field that requires constant adaptation. Staying up-to-date with evolving technologies is crucial.Now, if you're still hunting for info, here's a personal suggestion: consider an option to hire AI developers, too. Combining AI and coding skills can open up even more opportunities in today's tech-driven world.

Last edited:
Back