fracisco

Reaction score
Handicap
I had a few times over the weekend where I was in the fairway, but in a part of the fairway that was not completely drained. No standing water, but definitely a soggy lie.

I kept hitting fat behind ball in these lies, whereas on dry fairway I would hit clean. And a fat hit in soggy turf resulted in a muddy face and short shot. This was with my long irons (4I & 5I).

Is there some rule of thumb in dealing with soggy/damp lies in the fairway?

Last edited:
i had one that was that bad i hit my sw and the club just slide under the ball and it didnt even move!

Hit the ball first. If it's giving you a bunch of trouble I'd say put the ball in the back of your stance and hit a knockdown shot. Best way to practice would be to hit out of a fairway bunker.

Hit the ball first. If it's giving you a bunch of trouble I'd say put the ball in the back of your stance and hit a knockdown shot. Best way to practice would be to hit out of a fairway bunker.

Good advise there. Mud freckles are no fun.

This is the Ask The Pro Section. Please keep it clean until Andy has a chance to answer the OP's question.

This is the Ask The Pro Section. Please keep it clean until Andy has a chance to answer the OP's question.

Sorry about that. I didn't notice it was the Ask The Pro Section.

The first thing to look at is when you set up over the shot do you see any water around your feet? Standing water doesn't need to be visable, but if you see some when you take your stance your are entitled to releif.

That having been said, when you get this shot out there contact is key. You must strike the ball first. I would like you to play it more like a fairway bunker shot. TO do this play the ball back in the stance a touch. Go with 1 club more than you need. Keep the low body very quiet and make sure to hit the ball first.

Thanks for the feedback and tips. I'll definitely keep my eyes out for water around my feet in the future, and apply this tip if I get another soggy lie.

Back