Some More Golf Swing Science - Increasing Club Speed - How useful is this?

Not a big fan of Shawn's head bobbing. I personally do not like a lot of head movement aside from a bit of swivel. I am not discounting his message though of using ground forces. Most instructors point out the use of the ground forces, just in different ways whether it be Paul Wilson and his "powerless arms and loose wrists", Martin Chuck and his pelvic thrust, or David Ledbetter and his whatever. It has been pointed out that what they say and what they actually are doing often are not the same. Even things in Ben Hogan's book have been shown not to represent what is really happening. There does seem to be a common thread amongst the better instructors. As pointed out before, the ability for an instructor to communicate to the student is what makes for a successful lesson. I will say that Shawn hitting a seven iron 170 yards with his feet together is remarkable. Maybe just getting his body weight around accounts for it. It kind of makes one wonder how people like Ian Woosnam can hit a ball so far. He is not a large person at all, yet he could boom one out there.
Just curious, which part of Hogan's book misrepresents the golf swing?

Just curious, which part of Hogan's book misrepresents the golf swing?
I am not sure, I just recall seeing a video some time back where it was stated that his swing was not as he describes. I only pointed that "It has been shown". Actually, there have been several references from time to time by various people. You can call it heresay if you like, but never-the-less it has been discussed. I still have my copy of the book and refer back to it frequently. As with any instruction, people can pick nits and find something they disagree with.

I am not sure, I just recall seeing a video some time back where it was stated that his swing was not as he describes. I only pointed that "It has been shown". Actually, there have been several references from time to time by various people. You can call it heresay if you like, but never-the-less it has been discussed. I still have my copy of the book and refer back to it frequently. As with any instruction, people can pick nits and find something they disagree with.
Believe me, I have seen the same opinions, but IMO these are the "new" swing "gurus" who want to create their own version of the swing. If we all had a nickel for every new fad teaching method we'd be rich, and/or the average handicap would have dramatically dropped, especially with the new ball and club technologies.

Believe me, I have seen the same opinions, but IMO these are the "new" swing "gurus" who want to create their own version of the swing. If we all had a nickel for every new fad teaching method we'd be rich, and/or the average handicap would have dramatically dropped, especially with the new ball and club technologies.

Some truth to that I am sure. I didn't pay any particular heed at the time. As for opinions...I have an abundance thereof, concordances, fewer.

IMO watch Malaska. He doesn't believe in all the swing techo-mechanic stuff. Keeps it simple.

Some truth to that I am sure. I didn't pay any particular heed at the time. As for opinions...I have an abundance thereof, concordances, fewer.
No problem, don't think I'm bagging on you because I'm not. The problem with golf is most folks barely have time to play let alone have the time and resources to hire a full-time professional instructor. And even then we see pro's blow-up on tour, with some never coming back. The game is far more mental than physical. I know what to do, and even in practice swings I do what "I want". But put that ball in front of the club and all Hell breaks loose. That's the toughest part about golf.

My daughter gave me a tee shirt that said in Big Bold Letters... 'WHY? because I SAID so, that's why".

I did take a quick look at Malaska's videos. Either I do not understand what he was saying, or he does not understand ball flight rules. One video, seems to appear to use not a single plane swing, but even a three plane swing? That being said, he seems to make it work must fine. Most people strive to get an in to out to in swing. He seemed to not agree (or maybe I missed it).

Back