Something Moderately Confusing Regarding Chiping Check

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Ummm.... Hmmmm. I just had a major WTF moment. Was upstairs, which is carpeted and allows for practice of short to medium length chip shots. Grabbed a few balls out of my bag, as follows: ProV1, ProV1x, Tour Balata 100, DT SoLo, B330 (older model) and a Wilson Maximum distance rock, which are 5 bucks a dozen and are all around terrible.

I got upstairs and started chipping, but lo and behold, something odd was going on. The DT was rolling out the most by far followed by the Pro V's and B330, then the Balata and ProV1x. But the Wilson? Checked up WELL ahead of the rest. So, obviously this was a mistake, so I started over. Again, and again, and again, the same freaking result. Best I can figure is it slides straight off the top of the wedge (a 56* J38) and lands softly. Anybody got any other ideas? I can't spin it for anything on full wedge shots, so that has to be the reason right?

I wouldn't put too much stock in what you are seeing on a carpeted surface.

Obviously the Wilson is the highest quality ball and you should start gaming it right away

When I have little cash, I game them often. Very often.
Obviously the Wilson is the highest quality ball and you should start gaming it right away

When I have little cash, I game them often. Very often.

When short on cash go to Walmart and pick up some WS X1s, $20 for 2 dozen and much better than the Maximum. Not saying it is the best ball out there but for the money.... (in cool temps you may find the X1 shorter than most balls if so save it for warm days when it will play as long as anything I've hit)

And it is so hard to say what effect the carpet is playing on the ball when chipping indoors, can't believe you will find these results hold up outdoors on grass.

Back