• Hampton Cove, Huntsville, AL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Shoals, Muscle Shoals, AL

• Oxmoor Valley, Birmingham, AL

• Ross Bridge, Birmingham, AL

• Other location (please specifiy in post)

• Total voters
Looks like an awesome time was had by all! Between TCs write up & Ole Gray's picts it felt like we were there.

Can't wait to see everyone in May!

so you're gonna play old union and brasstown valley? brasstown is pretty awesome! it's tough though. i had a blast and i'd do it again in a minute if i could.

Thanks for the pics Gray! I'm horrible at remembering to take photos. I had an absolute blast meeting all these guys and playing a few rounds with em all! The 20+ hours of drive time was well worth it. I also learned not to trust my auto GPS device totally because I got off the interstate for a nice meander through the mountains and I got way more than I expected. It led me on US129 south of Knoxville through Deals Gap and straight through the Dragon. That thing made my 21 foot truck feel like a go-kart through that 12 miles of slalom driving.

For the Friday round at Butternut Creek I had the pleasure of playing with TC, Ole Gray, and SW Fla for the morning round and OneT, Clam Fist, and SW FLA for our afternoon round of captain's choice. For the Saturday round at Old Union I had the joy of playing with Setho and SW FLA in the morning and the two of them plus Ole Gray in the afternoon.

Butternut Creek is a beautiful course with a lot of great elevation change. I am used to flat land so shooting to elevated greens or from elevated tee boxes was pretty unique to me. It was very nice to have the GPS in the carts because I wouldn't have known where to go without it. This course made me use every tool in the shed to try to get that ball in the cup. The greens owned me! My putting isn't great but those greens were rolling fast and I think the Calloway boys must have asked their uncle for a challenge because those pins were put in some tough spots. I would have thought I brought some weather down with me for all the snowmen that were on my card but I was happy with the 106 I ended up with. I wasn't too worried about the score anyway with all the fun I was having.

Old Union in now one of my favorite courses to go along with Quarry Oaks and Ironhorse. I was glad they had the rough cut down like they did because it could have been a bit more of a disaster when searching for my occasional stray ball. Those greens were slick but rolled beautifully. I think I spent half of my time in the sand here because it was just a magnet for my ball. I was lucky to pull off some decent sand play to just get me out of there without leaving too many strokes. The holes were long and you could bang away with the driver and/or 3 wood almost all day long. I wish they would have had GPS or a overhead view at each tee box because I hit some great drives that happened to find a creek bed running right through the fairway that weren't visible from the tee box.

TC is just a great fella to hang around with. The dude just has game and is a master of playing "smart golf" all around the course. I'm definitelly going to have to put some of his strategy into my playbook because the gip&rip isn't always the best option.

SW Fla was a fun guy to play with. This guy can find the middle of the fairway really easily and is well on his way to getting a low handicap in such a short period of time. The one thing this guy was hitting best was his head. Almost every time he climbed into the cart at Butternut Creek he smacked his noggin on the GPS display. Heck, one time I thought he was going to tip us over for how hard he hit it.

Ole Gray is a good old southern boy. His misc. sayings for each shot had me laughing all day. I only remember a few of em but they'll be invading Indiana for sure. Now... if only he could find a way to talk in smilies. He had some really nice shots and his new swing is coming along nicely (stick with it buddy).

One-T is one cool dude. He can really swing the sticks well and can kill the drive when necessary. His teaching skills are wonderful as well because he cleaned up my putting stroke in just a few minutes of help. He's also a very competitive ping pong player because I've never seen anyone lay out for a shot before until he did Saturday.

Clam Fist and his little bro had me laughing as soon as I met them when chatting about their escapade of seedy joints they saw along their trip down. It never gets old calling a guy clam. I'll never forget that wedge shot that had us all rolling.

Setho is one heck of a ball striker. He can smash the ball on the tee or from the fairway, then has the greenside skills to be dangerous as well. He's going to be lowering that handicap quickly for sure. Keep up all the good work buddy!

It was great playing with you guys and meeting so many more. I hope y'all had as much fun as I did, I'd tee it up with any of ya again in a heartbeat!

Glad to hear that you all had a good time. Congrats on the low scores, Calloway bros!

so you're gonna play old union and brasstown valley? brasstown is pretty awesome! it's tough though. i had a blast and i'd do it again in a minute if i could.

We would probaly drive up Saturday a.m. play old Union, then camp out at the Holiday Inn and play Brasstown Sunday. Brasstown has a special going on per KellyBo. Very reasonable green fees. I will let her post the cost. If anyone is interested in joining us either day, give us a post!

We would probaly drive up Saturday a.m. play old Union, then camp out at the Holiday Inn and play Brasstown Sunday. Brasstown has a special going on per KellyBo. Very reasonable green fees. I will let her post the cost. If anyone is interested in joining us either day, give us a post!

well, you guys have a great time. i think kelly will like both courses. i also wanted to let you know that the key is in the mail and heading your way buddy.

well, you guys have a great time. i think kelly will like both courses. i also wanted to let you know that the key is in the mail and heading your way buddy.

Thanks man! I told Donnie he could have mailed it (key) directly to Hutch, however this way's fine too.

I'll just echo some of the sentiments from above.

I just drove in and met the group Saturday morning at Old Union for the one round. All the superlatives being said about this track are spot on. Terrific greens on a course that young. Cart guy said they were 12 on the stimpmeter, but they were sloped appropriately for that kind of speed. Absolutely shocking how flat the course is considering it is surrounded by mountains. Just a wonderful layout, but man was it long from the white tees. Card said 6300 yards, but it was much closer to 6800 where they were placed that day. For a course that nice, in what is clearly intended to be a very expensive community someday, the place and the staff could not have been more friendly and accomodating.

I finally got to play (alongside with my dad) with TC and Ole Gray. I could absolutely play with those guys any day of the week and they would both be serious candidates for permanent golf partners if we lived in the same area. It was also great to see some of my old outing pals (SethO, OneT, and UncleDaddy) as well as meeting some new ones (DirtGuy and SWFla).

Sorry that I couldn't come down for the whole event, but I had a great time in the few hours I was with the group. It is so much fun to be able to get together periodically with this great group of people and share the game we all love. You can spend as little as one day together and make some great long-term friends.

I just drove in and met the group Saturday morning at Old Union for the one round. All the superlatives being said about this track are spot on. Terrific greens on a course that young. Cart guy said they were 12 on the stimpmeter, but they were sloped appropriately for that kind of speed. Absolutely shocking how flat the course is considering it is surrounded by mountains. Just a wonderful layout, but man was it long from the white tees. Card said 6300 yards, but it was much closer to 6800 where they were placed that day. For a course that nice, in what is clearly intended to be a very expensive community someday, the place and the staff could not have been more friendly and accomodating.

I finally got to play (alongside with my dad) with TC and Ole Gray. I could absolutely play with those guys any day of the week and they would both be serious candidates for permanent golf partners if we lived in the same area. It was also great to see some of my old outing pals (SethO, OneT, and UncleDaddy) as well as meeting some new ones (DirtGuy and SWFla).

Sorry that I couldn't come down for the whole event, but I had a great time in the few hours I was with the group. It is so much fun to be able to get together periodically with this great group of people and share the game we all love. You can spend as little as one day together and make some great long-term friends.

the feelings are mutual AD, i'd happily join you and your old man regularly for a round. i hope you can find some time to get out there more often, you have a phenomenal golf game for as little as you play. it's quite impressive really! glad you came down and got to spend some time with your dad and with some strange internet forum guys.

Yep if we lived in the same town it could definitely be a regular foursome! It was a great day on the golf course with good friends that are now buddies for life. That's just the way THP was designed to be! The cool thing about AD & AD's Dad is both of them play that pretty Freddie Couples power fade consistently the same way all day long. Just fun to watch those guys work the ball :golf2:

Last edited:
So when's the next one...I got a hankerin for one of them steaks! I'll never look at a cut of meat the same...ever.

Dirt I agree about with about those car gps systems. I got sent down a glorified drive-way on my way to charlotte, turned into a big dang 30 minute circle in some Georgia hicktown.

To everyone of you that were there, thank you so very much for welcoming me into your gathering with open arms...and coolers. See yall in may if not sooner!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

So when's the next one...I got a hankerin for one of them steaks! I'll never look at a cut of meat the same...ever.

Dirt I agree about with about those car gps systems. I got sent down a glorified drive-way on my way to charlotte, turned into a big dang 30 minute circle in some Georgia hicktown.

To everyone of you that were there, thank you so very much for welcoming me into your gathering with open arms...and coolers. See yall in may if not sooner!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Those were some great steaks huh SW? :hungry:n DannyBoy has a special way he prepares them and man it's lip smacking good! It was a great time had by all and I'm like you, can't wait for the big shindig down in your neck of the woods (WPB)!

If you get a chance, the RTJ courses are definitely worth it.

Back