Spaghetti sauce or gravy?

Do you call it spaghetti sauce or gravy?

• Total voters

redneckwop

3G - God - golf - guns
Reaction score
Handicap
CO high
Going off the gravy thread.
When we ate at my Sicilian grandparents house we always called it sugo, which is Italian for gravy, but any other place it was called sauce.

Gravy?????

I've only ever heard sauce

aren't they the same thing?

I've always called it sauce. I have a good friend who is from St. Louis, but owns a restaurant in Colorado Springs called Red Gravy. Their specialty is St. Louis style Italian food.

Me too until a I dated a gal that was of northern Italian decent & she called it gravy. After that I have heard a few others call it that as well.

aren't they the same thing?
Yes, they are the same, it's just what you call it? I just can't call it gravy, even though I still call it sugo.

I've always called it sauce. I have a good friend who is from St. Louis, but owns a restaurant in Colorado Springs called Red Gravy. Their specialty is St. Louis style Italian food.
May have to go check it out if I ever get over to CO Springs, thanks for the heads up.

Me too until a I dated a gal that was of northern Italian decent & she called it gravy. After that I have heard a few others call it that as well.

Yes, they are the same, it's just what you call it? I just can't call it gravy, even though I still call it sugo.

When I lived in Italy, I heard it referred to a variety of things, but it was usually dependent on how many Americans lived in the area. But to that point, yea I heard it called sugo, ragu, sauce, and yes... gravy. :)

ha......id much rather call it Sugo than gravy. I know calling it gravy is a Sicilian thing....(See sopranos) lol. To the rest of the humans on this planet im pretty sure its sauce.

It's sauce!

When I was growing up and working in the family restaurant on Miami Beach (Italian, of course), we had a few customers who called it gravy. We called it marinara or bolognese on the menu.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Spaghetti Sauce & Gravy are two totally different things for me. Lol!!

I don't have Sicilian grandparents, or anybody in my family who speak Italian, we always called it sauce.

I call it sauce as well, but I've heard the gravy reference before. Out of boredom a few winters ago I started making my own sauce, so I have researched the begeezus out of sauce. 🍕🍕🍕🍝🍝🍝

I call it sauce, but I also understand what's meant when someone says "Sunday gravy"

Sorry sauce and gravy are not the same thing. It is not a gravy.

Going off the gravy thread.
When we ate at my Sicilian grandparents house we always called it sugo, which is Italian for gravy, but any other place it was called sauce.

I thought sugo was Italian for sauce 😂

Never heard tomato sauce of any sort called gravy.

I have only heard anyone call it gravy in mafia movies or shows.

Italian wife from a very Italian R.I. family (fathers side from the Hill) and it has always been Sauce to all of us. My family is German / French/ Indian but we always called it Sauce.

This whole C19 thing is seriously screwing up our yearly trip back to R.I. to eat....I was looking forward to Lobster rolls, fish and chips and as much Italian food as possible in a week.

Oh and Hot wieners with onions, mustard and meat sauce, I bet that Business is done with the old tradition of the guy putting 5 or 6 rolls up his arm and then putting the weiners, sauce and mustard on. It was always a leap of faith to eat them but now I don't think I could watch that and eat them.

Damn it now I am hungry again..

Gravy?????
My thoughts exactly. I thought we were saying which is better, spaghetti sauce or gravy. Not asking which one you say haha

sauce
gravy goes on potatoes and country fried steak.

I think gravy is sauce, but sauce isn't necessarily gravy.

A quick search on Google shows no sign of any references to spaghetti sauce being referred to as gravy.

This link seems to support that.

Back