JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Every club that comes into THP HQ gets checked and most of them are on point. Recently a brand or two have been pretty far off. So my question to THPers is do you get your specs checked? How often?

I honestly cannot remember the last time I checked my specs. I need to as I recently pulled the head and swapped out the ferrules. They could be off now.

I’d rather not answer...

Not once in the ten years that I’ve had them 😓

My fitter checks them in his shop before he hands them over to me. I've never had a set checked after re-un-boxing.

I don't but between the recent findings that were posted on THP and the fact that when I have had irons checked some were significantly off I probably should. I really struggle with paying extra to confirm what should have already been accomplished by the company I bought from.

I haven’t, but I’d like to.

I have 2 clubs(7 iron and PW) that I flush almost every time I take them out of the bag and I am really wondering if I need the specs checked. The store I purchased them will check them for free and they just opened up so I will be heading there soon, maybe even tomorrow.

Every club that comes into THP HQ gets checked and most of them are on point. Recently a brand or two have been pretty far off. So my question to THPers is do you get your specs checked? How often?
Well since I was fit I had my irons and wedges checked before the season started and plan to have them checked each year.

It’s part of why I got a Mitchell Loft and Lie as well as a quality digital SW scale, that way I can check everything that comes in for review and general purchase.

Most recently the new Hogan’s were way off.

I usually go to my local shop to get specs checked or changed since I don't have the equipment. But I don't really go often. Being the typical club ho, I make sure they're to spec when I buy them.

The only thing I can check really is swingweight (Golfworks scale) and length. If swingweight is off then either try and find a weight from the brand or get the lead tape going.

I check mine at least once a month, depending on how many times I've played. I just rechecked mine last week & they were off a lot. I was wondering why I kept hitting the ball right ALL the time. The lie was off :rolleyes:

I haven't checked my 919 Forged set but, I trust where I got them from had.😉😎

My biggest issue with this is access to a good clubmaker. I need to travel 45 minutes to get to one. I generally have the specs checked when I get my clubs then rarely after that.

haven't had them checked since the clubs were built. Since I am playing irons for over a year for the first time this decade when the local shop opens I will probably take them to him to have the lofts and lies checked.

only once after a couple months of inconsistent contact with a club champion build. they were off. haven't felt a need to since.

It’s part of why I got a Mitchell Loft and Lie as well as a quality digital SW scale, that way I can check everything that comes in for review and general purchase.

Most recently the new Hogan’s were way off.

I have seem issues with Hogan's in the past. But, I have not seen any in a few years. What was off?

Once a year or if I see something odd. Shorter than normal carry yardages will make me get them checked.

I check new stuff. Especially a full set. And I obviously check what I put together. I honestly haven't had anything that I haven't tweaked something on regularly enough to worry about playing them very far out of spec. If I just started a year with an iron set and didn't change anything, I'd probably check them about halfway through.

I have had a few clubs checked if something weird is happening but otherwise no I rarely check my specs

Good news? When taken to spec, they’re absolutely and totally fantastic. I’m more blown away by the day.

That is awesome.

I check irons and wedges all the time. I bought my own Mitchel L/L machine just for that purpose. Almost every new club I've purchased is not on spec. I even had a brand new club once come 3 degree off on lie angle and 2 degrees off on loft...and it was brand new from the OEM. I think most people's clubs are not the spec they think they are.

I’ve been thinking of getting my specs checked and adjusted

Back