Speed Stik, Big Stick?

scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
Looking at Dustin Johnson's ag previos issue of Golf Digest, he mention the Big Stick training aid...
All I could find was Big Stik on ebay? Same thing or?
Anyone try one?

I have a red and blue speed stick and use them to warm up before a round.

Looking at Dustin Johnson's ag previos issue of Golf Digest, he mention the Big Stick training aid...
All I could find was Big Stik on ebay? Same thing or?
Anyone try one?

TGW has em, The Speed Stik is how they have it spelled out. I have just played with them in the golf store, I wouldn't mind having one to swing around in my garage during the winter time.

Let us know if you get one!

I'll sell you mine if you want.

We have a Speed Stik, I use it to help select my shaft stiffness (I've grown to like stiffer shafts as I get better [and if your head is in the gutter now, get it out, I don't need a zipped-lip icon]). We found it used for something like $10. It's a bit of a kick to pull out now and then and see what you're at.

But I wouldn't say we use it as a training aid at all. I'm looking at the website now:

The Speed Stik is an amazing golf training aid that will empower you to hit the ball farther by increasing the speed of your swing. SPEED = DISTANCE. The faster you swing the club, the farther you will hit the ball. It’s simple: FASTER=FARTHER. Swing 10 MPH faster and gain 25 more Yards (sic)

My mistake, I thought good form was the trick to golf...that a good swing gave you distance.

I'd be wary of getting a wild, fast swing and losing control.

Last edited:
Distance is all about clubhead speed.

Look at how fast the long hitters swing, Bubba Watson swings (≈130mph), and he's a huge hitter. A good amateur swing is a little over 100, though some folks just seem to 'figure it out' and have a much faster speed.

Sure form is where it's all about, and keeping the ball under control, but speed is where your distance comes from.

I have been told time and again by my teacher that I am slowing down my own swing because of my form.

Distance is all about clubhead speed.

Look at how fast the long hitters swing, Bubba Watson swings (≈130mph), and he's a huge hitter. A good amateur swing is a little over 100, though some folks just seem to 'figure it out' and have a much faster speed.

Sure form is where it's all about, and keeping the ball under control, but speed is where your distance comes from.

I have been told time and again by my teacher that I am slowing down my own swing because of my form.

Right, but...

is swinging weights or a hollow stick the way to get speed, or is refining your form the way to get speed?

Right, but...

is swinging weights or a hollow stick the way to get speed, or is refining your form the way to get speed?

That is an argument to rival the chicken and the egg. :D

There is data to support both sides from what I've read.

Well, thanks for the comments everyone. It would be nice to get my clubhead speed up of course, but was more curious as to help stretch out the muscles some, etc.
I'd like to give one a try if I can find one fairly reasonable.

If it is for stretching there are a million things for that such as the Power Hitter, donuts that are heavy for clubs, etc...Me, I use the Niblick for full swings before a round. It has much more weight and really gets me through the ball and loosened up.

I have used my buddies big stick to warm up before, it helps but I get the same results from grabbing two wedges and swinging those a couple of times.

Sorry Gas, but I gotta do it:

:quiet:

Well, looks like the one in his bag was actually the stretching stick (based in Tampa Josh!)....
Stretch Stick

Still like to try the other one now too!

Back