Spikes or Spikeless - Defend

Spiked. I have a pair of spikeless I wear from time to time, but I refuse to have my shoes cause errors. I am looking for it but there is research out there that suggest that wearing spikeless causes loss in distance due to loss in stability. Once I find it I will post it.

I play early with wet grass, and I'm a good sized fella so I go spikes. If I play later in the day, I will go spikeless sometimes.

Been using spike less since i got back into golf. I like the comfort of the shoes and being able to just wear them to and from the course. No issues with slipping but it also pretty dry here most of the time!

100% Spikes.

I tried spikeless for a brief period and just didn't like it. I'm sure people have just as much grip as spikes, but I like having spiked golf shoes. Feel more base and confident in not slipping.

I have only tried spikes but definitely interested in spikeless after reading this discussion

some anecdotal but still interesting numbers. It is a few years old, and shoes have improved, but I still do not trust spikeless for rounds that matter.

I'm 54, have feet like Fred Flintstone and the knees are worn out. I enjoy wearing the spike-less as long as they're a leather upper. I've got two pair of the FootJoy SL Pro. One is a custom pair from the MyJoy crowd and the other are my practice shoes I bought on sale recently. Although I don't walk courses any more, I don't see myself going spiked again any more as I just find the spike-less comfortable.

Just getting back into golf now after a handful of years, when I last played spikeless just wasn't that big as far as I know. But I'm definitely going spikeless this time, they just look more comfortable and I'm a fan of the casual sneaker look which they seem to have a lot of options for that. That said, I would imagine that eventually having both in the arsenal might be where I end up.

I have both. Most of the time I am spikeless for comfort and the ability to wear them to and from the course. I still keep a pair with soft spikes for when I think I need more traction.

I've worn both but yeah man you get any sort of damp ground and I find myself slipping more often in the spikeless than the spikes. The spikeless are comfortable, I'll give it that. But it's not comfortable almost slipping and busting my butt.

I bounce back and forth personally. In the summer, with harder ground, spikeless is totally fine

For the wetter months I prefer spikes

I wear both. Depending on conditions, I like to play early, so when it's wet from dew, I prefer to wear spikes (perceived security of more traction). When I play later in the day and it's dry, I will wear spikeless.

I bounce back and forth. Spikless shoes are nicer to wear and walk around the bar after the round.

I have more foot action than most golfers and have not found a spikeless that doesn't sometimes slip in the wet morning grass when I play most of my rounds. I have a pair of spikeless that I can use if it is dry but they aren't as comfortable as my 6 pairs of Puma spiked shoes. I also notice the height that the sole of a shoe adds and most spikeless are closer to the ground than a spiked shoe. That 1/4" or so difference shouldn't matter but I will notice it especially when putting as I hover my putter. It's one more adjustment I'd rather not make.

I've never understood the argument that spikeless is more comfortable. I can play 45 holes 3 days in a row and not even think about my feet or shoes.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm not sure who came up with the term "spikeless" as most every golf shoe I've ever seen has spikes of some sort. Even the ones that don't have removeable spikes have some form of spikes, or at least very aggressive tread, molded into the sole of the shoe.

Second, I'm not most people... as we all know. I do switch back and forth.

I'll usually use my "spikeless" if I need to stop somewhere between the course and the house unless it's warm enough for sandals, in which case, I'd just take the socks off and rock sandals with my golf clothes wherever. Other times, I'll use my "spiked" shoes and just wear something else to drive.

Most people don't bounce back and forth, but rather have one preference and take it pretty seriously.

Are you a spike player or a spikeless player?
Would you switch on a whim?
Is there one style that is superior to all?

Both. Morning rounds that are still a little wet get the spikes. Afternoon or dry rounds spikeless. FJ ProSL for my spikeless and Adidas Tour 360 XT for the spiked pair. I would give the nod to spiked as you can replace the spikes. I feel spikeless wear down quickly as I walk almost all my rounds therefore only good for a season.

I had moved to strictly SL but after my last round with @KY Golfer where I was sliding all over tee boxes I’m going back to spikes. At least in the winter and spring

I have done both but I prefer spikes. Just seems to be a lot of wet and soggy places where I play and it makes me a little more confident I am not going to have a leg shoot out from under me. Although that has happened a couple times even with spikes.

I switched to the spikeless sketchers a couple a couple of years ago. They are so comfortable, I don't think I'll be switching back anytime soon.

I prefer spikeless, except when its damp to wet out. I had the first gen of the 360 Boost and they were great. I now have the newest version, spikeless. They are crazy comfortable but the traction sucks when wet out. The boost part is tearing on me and Im going to warranty them out and probably go back to spikes. The only reason I dont like spikes is my knees hurt after the range or a round.

I have more foot action than most golfers and have not found a spikeless that doesn't sometimes slip in the wet morning grass when I play most of my rounds. I have a pair of spikeless that I can use if it is dry but they aren't as comfortable as my 6 pairs of Puma spiked shoes. I also notice the height that the sole of a shoe adds and most spikeless are closer to the ground than a spiked shoe. That 1/4" or so difference shouldn't matter but I will notice it especially when putting as I hover my putter. It's one more adjustment I'd rather not make.

I've never understood the argument that spikeless is more comfortable. I can play 45 holes 3 days in a row and not even think about my feet or shoes.

I'm pretty much the same. I can definitely tell a difference with my irons when hitting and will catch a few fat until I adjust.

#TeamSpiked all day. Better traction, comfort on par with spikeless and a variety of styles to choose from. The only area spiked give up ground is the fact you can't wear them anywhere, but I always take my shoes off after the rounds anyway so it's not a big deal to me!

I have both, but the two pairs of spikes that I have are TW14s, so definitely trending to spikeless. Will always have 1-2 pairs of spikes for poor weather rounds. Get a lot of that around here. Some of the spikeless options are plenty waterproof but just don't offer the traction.

Back