Spikes or Spikeless - Defend

I have both but primarily stick to spikeless. The spikes only come out if it's really wet. But the spikes are mess, so it's kind of a lose lose. I need a new pair of spikes that are leather.

I prefer the traction of spikes. Soft spikes can still cause imperfections for putting but that extra but of grab when working a shot from the feet is beneficial.

I spent the majority of the last half of 2019 with spikes, and can't remember slipping a single time. Wore spikeless the other day and slipped twice.

Not sure how genuinely focused I am on something like that, but if the fit and comfort level is equitable between the two, I feel like I'm nuts to consider anything other than spiked outside of perfect dry days.

after wearing my flex xp's for the last 5+ rounds, I don't see myself going back to spikes.

I spent the majority of the last half of 2019 with spikes, and can't remember slipping a single time. Wore spikeless the other day and slipped twice.

Not sure how genuinely focused I am on something like that, but if the fit and comfort level is equitable between the two, I feel like I'm nuts to consider anything other than spiked outside of perfect dry days.

Depends on the shoes I think. Some of the new 'spikeless' offerings are getting fairly aggressive. The Nike LC Vapor line comes to mind. The Cuater spikeless I just got are pretty grippy too. I've certainly played some that are just glorified sneakers that didn't work so well.

Each to their own. I prefer spikeless but to be honest its so i don't have to change shoes pre or post round. I can go in the bistro in my spikeless and eat / have a pint.

I have been a spiked guy but will be giving spikeless a go soon.I practice way more than I play and just like the comfort of spikeless. I have never slipped on the course so we will see what happens out there.

I have multiple pairs of PUMAs.

Wet = Spikes
Dry = Spike less

Always soft spikes now.

Can't stand spikeless, my feet slide and spin too much.

This is tough as I prefer soft spikes but due to my feet I need a very wide toe box. True shoes seem to be perfect but they stopped making a wide toe option with soft spikes. I played my last round in sloppy conditions with spikeless and my feet slipped several times. Not the same..

I’d play golf in any shoes but usually it’s spikes.

Mostly spikes. I like that I put new spikes in and I have new shoes again. Have one pair of spikeless if its middle of summer and really dry.

Well my everyday shoes are Puma Nxt Ignite. I've worn them on the course a few times but if it's wet I prefer spikes as my foot has slipped a couple times just as I'm about to strike the ball.

Like most it depends upon wet or dry, spiked waterproof if wet, spikeless breathable if dry.

I usually use a lot of ground force. When I have tried spikeless shoes I end up losing my footing and spinning out. I also play slot early in the morning in the soggy, foggy Southern California conditions. Where we usually have small puddles in the middle of the Fairway. These dry up by 10 am, but make soft spike shoes a necessity. ?️‍♀️

I've always preferred spiked as I think it's given me more traction when I need it, but there have been some nice, a bit more aggressive spikeless patterns that I've tried as of late, like the nike base I like that seem to give great traction without the hassle of spikes, spikeless is so much easier to clean.

I previously picked spiked and defended with the powerful word, traction or some potentially synonym. That said, I want a pair of spikeless golf shoes. I would like to use them for sim play and try them for walking rounds. I would like to test my own defense of spikes. Some of these sole designs look nice and grippy.

I think modern spikeless golf shoes are at least as good as soft spiked shoes but not nearly as good as the old steel spiked shoes.

'
I just can't get the same stability in any contemporary golf shoe that I once got from steel spiked shoes. I still have no idea why courses banned them.

Both. Spiked have become way more comfortable for walking. Spikeless are still preferable for walking but I’m still prone to slippage in wet conditions. So for me it depends on the conditions.

Wet/unknown conditions: spiked
Dry conditions: spikeless

I prefer spikeless shoes, but tend to slip when it's wet on the course.

Team spikeless. Plenty of traction and comfortable to walk in.

I will add there is a big difference in traction between spikeless tread patterns.

Nike ADGs have more traction than most softspike shoes I've had
Puma nxt, significantly less traction.

I used to be spikes only but now I love the Cuater moneymakers and Nike AM1s and love them.

Ill still use spikes if the conditions require it but on dry days, Ill be spikeless now.

I have just returned to golf after 14 years abroad, but even before I left, my club at the time outlawed spikes, so I had only spikeless shoes thereafter. I don't slip in them which was always my worry, so see no need to return to spikes.

I may try spikeless this year. But, have been soft spikes since the metal spikes were banned at the courses I play at.

Back